GDT: GDT #16 New York Islanders @ Seattle Kraken | November 16th | 10PM | F/SOL 4-3

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Isles aren't going to get an Eichel or Tkachuk btw.
Definitely not those two. Probably will stay with what they have. Should they try?

They also won’t get Trotz back. Vancouver added Tocchet and suddenly they are the 85 Oilers

We all know it’s a tough stretch, prolonged slump, whatever. But as constructed, it’s this a top 7-8 team in the conference as the medium upside?

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
That will make a great slogan for the upcoming lottery. It's just as good as "Fail for Nail" and "Fall for Hall". I can't remember any of the other lottery slogans from +10 years ago.

Macklin Celebrini is what you have to work with. I would personally go with…

“FU alliteration, rhyming schemes and poetry! We want Celebrini!”

Too long?

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
Glad I haven’t wasted my time these last 2. It’s almost comical at this point.

The entire coaching staff needs to be purged like last week. Then ownership needs to put LL out to pasture. A new GM needs to come in and make a statement…like put one of the guys on waivers. We ain’t getting shit for them anyway, might as well just try to give someone away and shed salary/a bad contract

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
How many more games will you have to watch before you know what they've got?

Unlike you, I don't see the world in black and white or as cut and dry. While the leopard has seemingly shown its spots, I also understand that the possibility always remains that things could change.

But not last night. I didn't see the game, but when I checked the score this morning I was hoping they at least came from behind instead of blowing another lead. Nope...

You wanna get on anyones case? Pageau. Do it. He's been total crap this season. And why the hell did Holmstrom get priority over Wahlstrom?

Simple. Because he's a better player. Right now at least.

Also, Wahlstrom has yet to click with Barzal. Why would this suddenly happen now with Wally not even back to his previous level of play yet (which wasn't anything special to begin with)?

Last edited:

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
Wow they need to sort out their coverages down low especially on the PK. They get confused easy and seem to chase into the corners leaving the front of the net open. Kraken PP was smart darting in and out too. Our PP should take notes lol....

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
so many reasons to count why Lambert must go. I'm sure a cool guy, but it's time Lou. Coming from a guy who just "knows" I'll get off my soap box now

PJGooch

Aug 2, 2005
Oh no, I'm with you on Barzal as well. Amazing how much crap he gets in here. The guy has literally never had a pure sniper on his wing and yet he's somehow the problem. This team is and has been flawed. Arguing about our best high end talent just makes no sense to me!
It's possible to critique the best player on the team without it being "crap" or hating. He is an immensely talented player with a significant flaw, and it's fair game to discuss it.

The idea that he would be 100% awesome as long as Brett Hull is on his wing is not a positive. A large part of the reason that none of his wings ever seem to finish his setups is because the goalie and every defender on the ice knows he's looking to pass, and they can afford to cheat. A split-second to cheat toward Horvat, Holmstrom, Wahlstrom, Eberle, Lee, etc. is all that's needed to turn an open net into a blocked shot or chest save.

Credit to him for shooting more this year. It's a start.

Reactions: MJF

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Unlike you, I don't see the world in black and white or as cut and dry. While the leopard has seemingly shown its spots, I also understand that the possibility always remains that things could change.

But not last night. I didn't see the game, but when I checked the score this morning I was hoping they at least came from behind instead of blowing another lead. Nope...

Unlike you, I choose to accept reality instead of riding a bad cocktail of denial and unjustified hope over a waterfall.

Is this team a Cup contender despite a lack of talent, speed, scoring ability, a bad coach, being older and slower, bottom 5 in goals scored and goal differential, and being out of a playoff spot at Thanksgiving where teams usually miss the playoffs about 75% of the time. Your reply, "There's the possibility always remains that things could change."

Things change...When you actually change them. From wang/snow/capuano/weight to Malkin/Ledecky/Lou/Trotz brought about the most success this franchise has had in 35 years. Now the most valuable person of those 4 (Trotz) is gone, the team is older, less talented, poorly coached, and the "change" is Lou is bleeding this organization into a perennial lottery team.

The leopard has most certainly shown its spots.

So keep enjoying the rest of the Isles 23-24 season (and Lou's tenure), and make sure to get your "revenge bat" ready so IF this team makes the semi-finals again with Lou as GM you can beat me with it incessantly.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Wow they need to sort out their coverages down low especially on the PK. They get confused easy and seem to chase into the corners leaving the front of the net open. Kraken PP was smart darting in and out too. Our PP should take notes lol....
When your 2 against 3 strategy up high becomes a 1 v 2 situation down low because the forwards are consistently giving up the kind of movement they are supposed to stop, the defenders are going to look bad. But the problem is the PK forwards can't execute the system. The defenders lack confidence, and now they're cheating too. NYI has got to change the system in the short term until they have forwards able to execute the system they're now running. The 1-1-2 system requires the first forward to pressure/cut off passing angles for the puck carrier, and they're not quick enough to do it.

Reactions: MJF and MarsTBOW

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Unlike you, I choose to accept reality instead of riding a bad cocktail of denial and unjustified hope over a waterfall.

Is this team a Cup contender despite a lack of talent, speed, scoring ability, a bad coach, being older and slower, bottom 5 in goals scored and goal differential, and being out of a playoff spot at Thanksgiving where teams usually miss the playoffs about 75% of the time. Your reply, "There's the possibility always remains that things could change."

Things change...When you actually change them. From wang/snow/capuano/weight to Malkin/Ledecky/Lou/Trotz brought about the most success this franchise has had in 35 years. Now the most valuable person of those 4 (Trotz) is gone, the team is older, less talented, poorly coached, and the "change" is Lou is bleeding this organization into a perennial lottery team.

The leopard has most certainly shown its spots.

So keep enjoying the rest of the Isles 23-24 season (and Lou's tenure), and make sure to get your "revenge bat" ready so IF this team makes the semi-finals again with Lou as GM you can beat me with it incessantly.

Reality is fluid. You may wind up being correct, but you're only guessing until the final result is in. The bolded sums up your mindset and outlook perfectly.

And who said I'm enjoying this? You're a very puzzling person. You're clearly not a stupid, but you are a stunted. But I suppose we all are in one way or another.

Last edited:
Reactions: TMI and MJF

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
When your 2 against 3 strategy up high becomes a 1 v 2 situation down low because the forwards are consistently giving up the kind of movement they are supposed to stop, the defenders are going to look bad. But the problem is the PK forwards can't execute the system. The defenders lack confidence, and now they're cheating too. NYI has got to change the system in the short term until they have forwards able to execute the system they're now running. The 1-1-2 system requires the first forward to pressure/cut off passing angles for the puck carrier, and they're not quick enough to do it.
That's exactly right. If they are going to continue with this system they have to pressure the puck carrier and anticipate passes quicker possibly intercepting some of those passes. They are not anticipating passes well.

RIght now Lamberts got them playing some sort of "basketball defense". Maybe he's reading from the wrong defense manual and it says basketball on the front instead of hockey. They might as well drop their sticks and wave their hands around in the air. It's ridiculous to watch and it is part of what is causing them to turtle late in the game. Part of it was lack of confidence (and I'm glad Lambert specifically told them that he wants them to "play loose" prior to the Canucks game. They played a good game and were dangerous for 3 periods. At least he recognizes that the players were holding onto their sticks too tight) and the other part of it is this defensive system they are playing in their own zone.

There's must be some kind of misunderstanding going on here between the coach and players, but absolutely they need to pressure and anticipate whats going on at the point better. Even 5 on 5 they play in their own end as if they were on a penalty kill. I wish they would be playing more man on man at the blue line like the Lightning- a hybrid system so the other teams don't have so much time to organize. They can't allow the opposing teams so many grade A shots on goal on our screened goaltender. (Also Sorokin has got to learn to protect his crease better) It's so glaringly obvious that it's one of the reasons why I wonder if Lambert is the right guy for the job.

Either way something is not right with this team's defensive play. You would hope Lambert is employing video analysis during practice sessions and showing what they did properly under Trotz versus what they are doing now, but somehow I suspect that is not happening.

Last edited:

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
That is now 5 wins and 11 losses for those keeping score at home.
They have 5 of the last 18 points. They are well on their way to digging themselves a hole like last year. This group of players seems to get stuck in a sustained rut every year. Even when Barry was here. It is quite an accomplishment.

Reactions: NYI365

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Which is why I don't agree with the idea that the game plan is for us to converge down low on Varlamov's doorstep. I think they collapse because an opponent is able to make a play in the zone because our first forward has blown a coverage.

EDIT: This team might need to play a pure neutral zone trap at 5v5. Might help more late in games.

Last edited:
Reactions: saintunspecified

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Reality is fluid. You may wind up being correct, but you're only guessing until the final result is in.

The “final result?” What is that and what specific date does that occur exactly? Is the NHL planning to stage it's last Stanley Cup Finals in 2031 or something we don't know about?

So we should just keep Lou on as GM forever? Despite the fact he's the #1 reason why we're bad, getting worse, getting older, slower, have no cap space, no prospect system, tons of bad long-term contracts, and saddled us with an AHL-level coach at best...I mean there’s always next year right?

When is enough enough?

Reactions: Ishkabible

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
RIght now Lamberts got them playing some sort of "basketball defense". Maybe he's reading from the wrong defense manual and it says basketball on the front instead of hockey.
NYI ran the same PK last year, and other teams run it too. It started failing as the year progressed, and into the playoffs. What's changed? Older Clutterbuck. Older Cizikas. Older Pageau. No Parise.

Which is why I don't agree with the idea that the game plan is for us to converge down low on Varlamov's doorstep. I think they collapse because an opponent is able to make a play in the zone because our first forward has blown a coverage.

This team might need to play a pure neutral zone trap.
I hope you're not disagreeing with me, because I 100% agree with you. 1-2-2 for 5V5, and zone for PK. Dunno enough to tell you what kind of zone.

Reactions: MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
NYI ran the same PK last year, and other teams run it too. It started failing as the year progressed, and into the playoffs. What's changed? Older Clutterbuck. Older Cizikas. Older Pageau. No Parise.

I hope you're not disagreeing with me, because I 100% agree with you. 1-2-2 for 5V5, and zone for PK. Dunno enough to tell you what kind of zone.
I am agreeing with you. I posted before I completed a thought. I corrected it in my previous post.

Reactions: saintunspecified

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad