Gaudreau vs Marner

Who is the better player

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
Last year this was a popular poll thought id make a new one to get peoples fresh thoughts.
Whose the better player?

So far this year Gaudreau has 2 goals and 8 assists 10 points in 7 games
Marner has 1 goal 3 assists and is a -7 in 7 games

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
You are literally picking the best time to do this poll....Marner is struggling but overall the better player.

I find it curious you chose to include those stats, but don't include stats such as CF%, xGF, etc. You are just cherrypicking stats that suit your player and posting them to try and incite a particular vote.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
You are literally picking the best time to do this poll....Marner is struggling but overall the better player.

I find it curious you chose to include those stats, but don't include stats such as CF%, xGF, etc. You are just cherrypicking stats that suit your player and posting them to try and incite a particular vote.
Sorry that i used stats that are not important like goals and points i guess?

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Let's say I created a poll, Dominic Moore vs Sam Bennett.

Bennett has no points, -2.
Moore has 2 goals in 3 games.

And just say, who's better?

It's a terrible job of creating a poll to facilitate discussion. Atleast put 5 minutes in to include all the relevant stats before posting something like this.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006

There has been an influx of Toronto threads hyping up their own players, their own team, and attempting to knock down others... is it a coincidence that this is happening while Toronto started the season 7-1?

Pot. Kettle. You know the drill.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
There has been an influx of Toronto threads hyping up their own players, their own team, and attempting to knock down others... is it a coincidence that this is happening while Toronto started the season 7-1?

Pot. Kettle. You know the drill.

Don't take this the wrong way because I've only ever seen you post and quote things against the Leafs, but in your opinion, why are the Leafs playing the way they are if the players aren't as good as we say they are?

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Don't take this the wrong way because I've only ever seen you post and quote things against the Leafs, but in your opinion, why are the Leafs playing the way they are if the players aren't as good as we say they are?

The simple answer? They are a good team that is currently putting up unsustainable offensive numbers.

You act like we haven’t seen this kind of thing many times before in previous seasons. It isn’t just offense either. We’ve seen unsustainable goaltending lead teams to pretty ridiculous starts. This isn’t new stuff, man. And almost every time you find people who are just so certain it’s because their team is that good, and things will carry on.

Edit: and as for being as good as you say they are? You just tried to tell me Kadri was the number 1 center for Toronto last season. All in an attempt to prove that Kadri could be that guy for a playoff team. In one post you killed any possible argument for objectivity regarding your own players.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
The simple answer? They are a good team that is currently putting up unsustainable offensive numbers.

You act like we haven’t seen this kind of thing many times before in previous seasons. It isn’t just offense either. We’ve seen unsustainable goaltending lead teams to pretty ridiculous starts. This isn’t new stuff, man. And almost every time you find people who are just so certain it’s because their team is that good, and things will carry on.

Right, fair enough, a guy like Matthews isn't going to shoot 33% for the rest of the season, however I don't understand why their offense as a whole isn't sustainable.

Take a look at this tableau: https://public.tableau.com/profile/sean.tierney#!/vizhome/Team-leveldata-shotsandgoals/Teamshotrates

The Leafs PDO (measures luck) isn't very indicative of a team that is producing offense unsustainbly. Neither is their expected goals per 60 (it's on a different tab on the same link), ti suggests based on the number of high danger (from the home plate area) chances they generate combined with the shot generation, they can keep it up. They are constantly outshooting and outpossessing teams, and in fact this isn't even a 7 game sample. This is going back to last season post all star break.

Teams that are just "hot" don't produce results like that. None of that is my opinion, all I am doing is presenting unbiased stats that are made available to the public.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Toronto is averaging almost 5 goals per game right now.

You’re using statistics to support Toronto’s current play by asking them to use a very, very small sample size. You aren’t going to get the accuracy you need from that.

The most goals a team has scored per game since the lockout is 3.8. It was done twice, and one of those times was in 2005-2006. Now, you have a team scoring at a significantly higher rate, but over a silly small sample size, and you want to ask why people don’t think it’s sustainable?

Edit: and they weren’t scoring 5 goals a game after the all star break, which is still only like a 20 game sample size you’re adding.

Last edited:
Reactions: flamesforcup

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
Let's say I created a poll, Dominic Moore vs Sam Bennett.

Bennett has no points, -2.
Moore has 2 goals in 3 games.

And just say, who's better?

It's a terrible job of creating a poll to facilitate discussion. Atleast put 5 minutes in to include all the relevant stats before posting something like this.
The poll was just to see who people prefer. The stats were just to give an update so far how they are playing. Relax its only 7 games in it can change.

Last edited:
Reactions: TychoFan

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
Remember when Montreal started 9-0 and missed the playoffs? Its only 7 games in anything can change. Theres a good chance Leafs can still miss the playoffs

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
The poll was just to see who people prefer. The stats were just to give an update so far how they are playing. Relax its only 7 games in it can change.

7 games is nothing, but I’d still take Gaudreau. Marner is surrounded by offensive talent. Gaudreau is not. I think Gaudreau is asked to do much more with less.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
7 games is nothing, but I’d still take Gaudreau. Marner is surrounded by offensive talent. Gaudreau is not. I think Gaudreau is asked to do much more with less.

Marner doesn't play with Matthews and Nylander. Are Bozak and JVR really that much better than the guys Gaudreau plays with?

Arizonan God

Jan 30, 2010
Toronto
Voted Marner just to spite this stupid, obviously agenda driven poll by an obsessed leaf hater.

The Flames have a good enough team, how about you pay them more attention than a team that doesn’t even play in your conference?

Reactions: Johnny Steps

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
I dont understand, its not like im comparing Marner to Tanner Glass, its Johnny Gaudreau... So we why are Leafs fans getting upset about the timing? Its only 7 games in no one should decide who is better based on 7 games. If people decide Gaudreau is better its because he has a longer track record and more proven. How is it an insult if Marner doesnt win against Gaudreau.

Chef de Cuisine

Mar 15, 2015

calm down bro

Gaudreau, but Marner will be better in a few years

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
They will both have their hot and cold streaks and small sample sizes such as those will not tell the whole story. Im betting by the end of the year Gaudreau will have had the better season. Marner is facing 3rd and 4th line comp and is not doing as good as last year. He will probably have his sophomore slump this year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jyrki Lumme

Generational User
Mar 5, 2014
They're close right now, Marner of an unfortunate casualty of Toronto's ridiculous offence. I've never liked him next to Bozak and JVR, you need someone who has notable defensive ability to slot in there, and it's also tough to play next to Fehr/Moore and Martin. Hopefully he'll find himself in a better position next year once things have thinned out in the top 9 and he gets the opportunity to play with Matthews or Nylander.

That said, he'll still put up respectable top line numbers this year, I dunno why people are freaking out about him. He's outrageously talented.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad