Gator Attacks Child at Walt Disney World

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I don't think Disney will be paying a cent to the family. They will probably have some clause in the TOS when they booked the room releasing them from any liability.

Disney will likely be paying them a lot of money.

Is a resort in the Caribbean responsible for a shark attack on its beach?

Is a trailer park in the Rockies responsible for a bear attack on a camper at a camp site that left out food?

Recently the state of Utah was sued after a bear mauled a kid to death at a campground in one of the state parks.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
People need to keep themselves safe. That's what instincts are for.

Welcome to survival

Actually in nature survival instincts in many animals are passed on from mother to child. Raise an infant animal in captivity and later release them into the wild, they won't have the 'instincts' to survive.

dogbazinho

May 24, 2006
Fairfax, VA
Initially I thought what kind of crappy parent would let their toddler near a body of dark water regardless of whether it contained wild animals capable of dragging the kid away but then I saw the pics. It's basically landscaped like a beach. Don't landscape like a beach and expect people not to enjoy hanging out by the water.

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
Imagine the furor if they actually came out and blamed the parents for ignoring the signage.

There is a difference between blaming the parents for ignoring the signage and clearing their companies name of liability. All Disney would have to say is we provided aqueduct warning and the TOS that the parents agreed to when they rented the hotel room/bought their park tickets clear us of any wrong doing in this case. We are not blaming the parents (that is Child services job), but we are not responsible for this child's death.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
There is a difference between blaming the parents for ignoring the signage and clearing their companies name of liability. All Disney would have to say is we provided aqueduct warning and the TOS that the parents agreed to when they rented the hotel room/bought their park tickets clear us of any wrong doing in this case. We are not blaming the parents (that is Child services job), but we are not responsible for this child's death.

Deflect, deflect, deflect.

Hopefully it doesn't come to that. Disney looking bad right now.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto

Lol, no. Disney is pretty much guaranteed to get sued for a ton on this one - would fairly likely lose if it ever went to trial (and face the exposure of some teary eyed jury blowing the roof off on punitive damages)...but more likely will pay out the family a lot of $$$ to settle out of court.

As an aside, an interesting thought is the obvious inadequacy of Disney's signs around their man made Croc habitat. Could their insurer use that as an excuse to force Disney to pick up the tab itself on this one?

Deflect, deflect, deflect.

Hopefully it doesn't come to that. Disney looking bad right now.

There's pretty much nothing Disney can deflect. A toddler got dragged out of a foot of water off their resort-style beach by a croc (one of at least 5 in the man made lagoon at the time). Disney's warning signs in the area said "No Swimming" - a sign you'd expect to find in a watery area that was dirty or where there was no life guard.

Maybe a better idea would have been this:

CairnsBeachNoSwim.jpg

But not so welcoming at the Happiest Place on Earth!

Last edited:

LetsGoIslanders

Mar 6, 2005
NYC
Disney will settle with the family. I wonder what the hell Disney was thinking putting artificial beaches on alligator infested lakes. The family must be from an inland area. Who finds a Florida lake an attractive place to sunbathe?

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
Lol, no. Disney is pretty much guaranteed to get sued for a ton on this one - would fairly likely lose if it ever went to trial (and face the exposure of some teary eyed jury blowing the roof off on punitive damages)...but more likely will pay out the family a lot of $$$ to settle out of court.

As an aside, an interesting thought is the obvious inadequacy of Disney's signs around their man made Croc habitat. Could their insurer use that as an excuse to force Disney to pick up the tab itself on this one?

There's pretty much nothing Disney can deflect. A toddler got dragged out of a foot of water off their resort-style beach by a croc (one of at least 5 in the man made lagoon at the time). Disney's warning signs in the area said "No Swimming" - a sign you'd expect to find in a watery area that was dirty or where there was no life guard.

Maybe a better idea would have been this:

CairnsBeachNoSwim.jpg

But not so welcoming at the Happiest Place on Earth!

No swimming...the child was in the water. Doesn't matter if it was 1 ft of water or 10 ft of water. The child was in an area specifically designated not to go in. You saw it is inadequate signage, I believe there was adequate signage.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
No swimming...the child was in the water. Doesn't matter if it was 1 ft of water or 10 ft of water. The child was in an area specifically designated not to go in. You saw it is inadequate signage, I believe there was adequate signage.

I was in Costa Rica a few years ago and I stepped into the ocean where signs said no swimming. Stepping into the water isn't the same as 'swimming'. Oh and in this case the reasons not to swim were also clearly marked: riptides & currents.

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
I was in Costa Rica a few years ago and I stepped into the ocean where signs said no swimming. Stepping into the water isn't the same as 'swimming'. Oh and in this case the reasons not to swim were also clearly marked: riptides & currents.

I am not talking about getting our feet wet by just stepping into the water. For a 3 year old boy 1ft of water is more than enough for them to go "swimming." (the reports I saw said he was wading.) At 1 foot that can potentially be as high as his waist. I feel for the family that lost their son, but why did they let their son in the water that was clearly signed to not go in. If they wanted to take him to swim or wade in the water they should have taken him to the pool at the resort.

Chris Hagen*

tarheel, will you sue the manufacturer of your bubble if an alligator somehow gets trapped inside it and kills you?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad