Gary Bettman on WFAN/YES today at 5pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
go kim johnsson said:
Bettman said it was a "late dinner."

And Wayner still would have been on western time, so it's only 7 or 8 pm to him, and probably had a package of pretzels and a coke in a so called "airplane meal". Would make sense that he'd want something substantial to eat when he got in.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
PecaFan said:
And Wayner still would have been on western time, so it's only 7 or 8 pm to him, and probably had a package of pretzels and a coke in a so called "airplane meal". Would make sense that he'd want something substantial to eat when he got in.

Unless he wants to lose weight. Typically you're not supposed to eat after 8:00 (even though I do it).

Anyone know how much Wayne weighs? That could shed some light. :p:

NYIsles1*

Lou is God said:
To me it's looking more and more like that this was nothing but a ploy by the players to put pressure onto the owners in hope that once the public is convinced that there is a settlement the owners hoping to avoid a embarrassing scene, which did happen.
The embarrssing scene already happened with the cancellation. You honestly think rumors that a deal was about to be done was going to make the NHL cave and give the pa the deal it wanted or the pa felt that's all it would take.

After all these meetings and ups and downs that makes little sense.

Look at how bad hockey is covered even by folks we consider the best authorities or sources of info available? It's so painfully weak they have no conception of what's really happening or have any pluse of the league and it's markets.

Scary part is so many take this stuff as gospel.

Wild Thing

Child... please.
Feb 18, 2003
Way Down South
Visit site
go kim johnsson said:
Unless he wants to lose weight. Typically you're not supposed to eat after 8:00 (even though I do it).

Anyone know how much Wayne weighs? That could shed some light. :p:

He played at about 165, and he looks a little bit heavier now - call it 175, maybe 180 tops. Not so heavy that he needs to lose weight. So it's entirely plausible to me that he would have eaten a late meal.

I'd say that clinches it. There's no longer any question in my kind that Bettman is telling the truth, and the players are total bozoes. :mad:

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
Mike Brophy (senior write for THN) was just on The Score and said on Friday afterrnoon he had talked to a player, who told him a deal was going to be done with a $45 million cap. Then Mike called the other senior writer (forgot his name), who then got in contact with another player, who also said a deal was going to be done around a $45 million cap.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
NYIsles1 said:
The embarrssing scene already happened with the cancellation. You honestly think rumors that a deal was about to be done was going to make the NHL cave and give the pa the deal it wanted or the pa felt that's all it would take.
On a scale of 1 to 10 , if Wednesday's cancellation is 10 then Saturdays is 110, I mean com'on, there really is no comparison and as for did the players think this would work? Well, these are the same fools who really think they are going to get a better deal than what was left on the table Wednesday and when you have a little rat named Saskin running around behind the scenes, then yeah, I do think that.

Do you have a better theory on why the false claim of a settlement was thrown out there when it became apparent that the person who leaked it had to know that what was happening was nothing close to that?

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Finnigan said:
Mike Brophy (senior write for THN) was just on The Score and said on Friday afterrnoon he had talked to a player, who told him a deal was going to be done with a $45 million cap. Then Mike called the other senior writer (forgot his name), who then got in contact with another player, who also said a deal was going to be done around a $45 million cap.
See...... ;)

Those bastards.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Scugs said:
At the end they said they may have the NHLPA on the air if they were willing to... Anything come out of that?
Nah, I was listening to Francesa on my way home from work and after the interview and he kept saying we would be willing to bring on someone from the NHLPA but none of them lying bastards ever called in. I wouldn't hold my breath on it either.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Lou is God said:
Nah, I was listening to Francesa on my way home from work and after the interview and he kept saying we would be willing to bring on someone from the NHLPA but none of them lying bastards ever called in. I wouldn't hold my breath on it either.

They have to get in touch with the PA themselves. The PA offices are in Toronto, so they're not listening to the New York FAN they're listening to FAN 590.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
go kim johnsson said:
They have to get in touch with the PA themselves. The PA offices are in Toronto, so they're not listening to the New York FAN they're listening to FAN 590.
Oh com'on man, be real will ya? They knew he was on, you don't think the union listened to the interview and monitor was being said afterwards? You bet they were.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
go kim johnsson said:

I'd be stunned if WFAN producers (they have several) haven't called the PA for response.

NYIsles1*

Lou is God said:
Do you have a better theory on why the false claim of a settlement was thrown out there when it became apparent that the person who leaked it had to know that what was happening was nothing close to that?
I think this was just a bad job by the hockey news not making sure their source was credible, no more and no less. We were all hoping for good news so it took on a life of it's own despite the denials on both sides. When Espn did not do the proper followup
and added fuel to this there was no stopping it.

NYRGoalieGlut*

NYIsles1 said:
Look how weak the hockey media is in the US? Most of the people doing interviews are as bad as these sources and many barely know their own market much less outside markets.

Look at Francesa who could not name ten players on the local teams in his own market but talks about the Ranger revenue streams like a hockey finance expert based on his clearly limited research. He has no clue the Rangers claim to lose more money than any team according to Bettman's own audit. Meanwhile they cannot fill their own building with the highest payrolls in NHL history and have awful ratings.

That's a fine point I would have loved to see Francesa hit Bettman with but he does not know because he's not well-preparred.

Is there a point to the thing about the Rangers? I mean, what would asking Bettman that do? He would be basically proving his point, and being redundant? Shouldn't the questions CHALLANGE Bettman? Maybe I'm missing something and that does challange Bettman and threaten his argument, in that case I apologize. For some reason thought, it seems like an easy opportunity for an Islanders fan to bash the Rangers and their fans.

NYFAN

Jul 8, 2004
Long Island
The bottom line here is more hard questions need to be asked. I'd like to ask Gary if the 300 million lockout fund was entered as a loss in their audit? How the heck did these owners squirrel away 300 million dollars if they were hemmoraging money as much as they claim ? I'd also like to know why the PA didn't call in to the show , while Bettman was on , to disprove his comments! We as fans are being played from both ends! There should be hell to pay for both sides, but most of us will flock back to the arenas as soon as the game starts back up!

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
NYIsles1 said:
I think this was just a bad job by the hockey news not making sure their source was credible, no more and no less. We were all hoping for good news so it took on a life of it's own despite the denials on both sides. When Espn did not do the proper followup
Finnegan just posted that Mike Brophy's source was also a player and he asked another senior writer who said his was a player also, I mean it can't become any clearer how this story got out. Look man, I don't know who if your pro-player or not (sounds like you are), but the more this story breaks and becomes more and more apparent that the NHLPA was behind this and were willing to toy with fans emotions and dedication, I can't see how anyone can continue to back them.

ladybugblue

May 5, 2004
Edmonton, AB
NYIsles1 said:

That and maybe talk with the other side namely the NHL to see if they see it the same way.

My guess is that a number of players thought it could be done at $45 million but so many players have not been looking at the situation realitistically (as they have throughout) and became overly optimisitc it was a done deal they forgot about all of the other issues. A new CBA is complicated and wouldn't be easy to get together in short period of time.

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
Could there perhaps have been a deal between a group of players and a group of owners that didn't carry over to the full NHL-NHLPA gathering?

Think about it - there were all sorts of rumbling of the veteran players pushing for something (the Sakic's, Yzerman's, Roenick's, etc.) to be done. Let's say that group got together with six or seven owners and hashed out the $45 million figure that came out so often. Both sides think this is a great thing and that it will clear through the union. A bit idealistically, they think that solving the cap number will make everything else fall into place. The players involved start calling around spreading the good news (hence the optomistic outlook from the European based guys) and the owners start grinning and going back to their offices to get ready for the season.

The NHL/NHLPA, who it was really doesn't matter, gets wind of this deal and calls a meeting, each side thinking the other will propose and even if they don't, will accept this cap. Now at the meeting, they can't get the other things worked out. They're still miles apart on what "meaningful revenue sharing" means and what methods of arbitration would work in this new system. Somebody gets defensive, somebody else calls someone a bad name, and it all falls apart before they even get to what some people have agreed upon. And the hardliners on both sides flip out at the idea of having to (*gasp**shock*) compromise on their cap number that they use the opportunity to come out and disavow any knowledge of the agreement between the groups of players and owners.

Season's over. Everybody blames everybody else. We all :banghead:

handtrick

Sep 18, 2004
Chattanooga, TN
Finnigan said:

Can anyone else verify this quote?
any links to a audio vault that we can listen?
Is this in print anywhere?

NYIsles1*

NYRGoalieGlut said:
Is there a point to the thing about the Rangers? I mean, what would asking Bettman that do? He would be basically proving his point, and being redundant? Shouldn't the questions CHALLANGE Bettman? Maybe I'm missing something and that does challange Bettman and threaten his argument, in that case I apologize. For some reason thought, it seems like an easy opportunity for an Islanders fan to bash the Rangers and their fans.
Not bashing the Rangers or their fans but if they are losing what they claim it should be put center stage with Bettman. Unfortunately Francesa is the last person to know anything yet several times mislead folks when taking calls by bringing up revenues and including the Rangers as if they are making profits. If you bring up one side you have to bring up all sides.

Lou is God:
Finnegan just posted that Mike Brophy's source was also a player and he asked another senior writer who said his was a player also, I mean it can't become any clearer how this story got out. Look man, I don't know who if your pro-player or not (sounds like you are), but the more this story breaks and becomes more and more apparent that the NHLPA was behind this and were willing to toy with fans emotions and dedication, I can't see how anyone can continue to back them.
This is not a question about what side someone is on in this. I can be pro owner or pro player and still look at things on a case by case basis as they happen. To this point your not convincing me Brophy had poor info made a mistake and other sources rushed to report something.

Both sides on Friday night issued denials to this story. I am pro-owner by default because there is no choice and have been for years now, but that does not mean I will just issue blame as Bettman did today without any real knowledge himself.

dedalus

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
NYIsles1 said:
Oh it was definitely worth a try. At the very least the league would take a PR hit (which it did). If what Bettmen says is true, the PA lined up the media, the public, and the reputations of hockey's two greatest players. That's not inconsiderate pressure if the NHL is worried about sales and brand name.

No, IMO it's not nearly the stretch you think it is. The worst that could happen to the NHLPA is what's happened: he-said-she-said. They don't lose in that scenario. Those who are pro-league will remain so; those who are pro-Association will do the same.

On the other hand the potential reward would have been huge. If Goodenow did it, he was smart to do so. Sleazy but smart.

handtrick

Sep 18, 2004
Chattanooga, TN
Kritter471 said:
Could there perhaps have been a deal between a group of players and a group of owners that didn't carry over to the full NHL-NHLPA gathering?

Think about it - there were all sorts of rumbling of the veteran players pushing for something (the Sakic's, Yzerman's, Roenick's, etc.) to be done. Let's say that group got together with six or seven owners and hashed out the $45 million figure that came out so often. Both sides think this is a great thing and that it will clear through the union. A bit idealistically, they think that solving the cap number will make everything else fall into place. The players involved start calling around spreading the good news (hence the optomistic outlook from the European based guys) and the owners start grinning and going back to their offices to get ready for the season.

The NHL/NHLPA, who it was really doesn't matter, gets wind of this deal and calls a meeting, each side thinking the other will propose and even if they don't, will accept this cap. Now at the meeting, they can't get the other things worked out. They're still miles apart on what "meaningful revenue sharing" means and what methods of arbitration would work in this new system. Somebody gets defensive, somebody else calls someone a bad name, and it all falls apart before they even get to what some people have agreed upon. And the hardliners on both sides flip out at the idea of having to (*gasp**shock*) compromise on their cap number that they use the opportunity to come out and disavow any knowledge of the agreement between the groups of players and owners.

Season's over. Everybody blames everybody else. We all :banghead:

Interesting scenario.....could have jived with everything Bettman just said in the interview that was fact from his limited point of view.....

I think the most enlightening thing that could happen would be for a senior NHLPA rep [I am sure it won't be Big Bob] to come on with Franseca tomorrow and tell their side, but after the drubbing Goodenow took from Chris last week, I am not holding my breath. If they don't respond, I'll tend to lean towards Bettman's version.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
dedalus said:
On the other hand the potential reward would have been huge. If Goodenow did it, he was smart to do so. Sleazy but smart.
Actually I think Saskin would be a more likely culprit, just my hunch..

skolgoar

Jun 18, 2002
Visit site
Briannj1970 said:
And another thing....Gary Bettman presides over a billion dollar industry. He allows himself to be set up by a players union??????? Or does it unknowingly??????? He can't be that naive.

Basically, the NHLPA had him between a rock and a hard place. If the NHL ownership refused a meeting, then that could be taken as an obstructionist move. Whether they really intended to break the union and use replacement players or not, they need to keep that option open as both a threat and a possible course of action.

By the same token, Bettman did not show up at the meeting by himself.

By most reports, once the meeting got underway, they avoided dealing with the big problems and never even got around to talking about them. I am not sure that the NHLPA had much intention of truly negotiating either. The meeting was as much as a show by the NHLPA to sway public opinion as the owners moves earlier. Seeing the response to the situation, it appears that they were reasonably successful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad