Prospect Info: Garrett Wilson

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
I certainly hope he cracks the lineup. Used to play ball hockey with him. Good guy.

I don't know him that well and I'm sure he doesn't remember me, but this is the only time I can brag about knowing someone a bit. :sarcasm:

He was a hard worker in Pittsburgh last year and didn't mind throwing the body around and dropping the gloves.

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
He's supposed to have quite a bit of grit which is sorely needed so I'd say 50/50. Lots of depth on that right side though. I'd take him over Aberg, and he does actually make a bit more than Aberg on his one year deal as well. Worth nothing I think.
Seems like Aberg is more of an underdog despite people penciling him in on the first line.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
He shouldn't crack the top 13. I think he'll play some games though.

Guy has no offensive ability. He's a checker, pure and simple. Should be given a key role with the Marlies leadership and get some games when injuries arise with the Leafs.

Reactions: qqaz

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I'd rather try out Marchment. Is he better served with another year in the AHL if his upside is pretty much set on line #4? Or could he still develop to his full potential being used there right away? I think the team does need some physical identity. Between Harpur looking on paper like a regular plus a guy like Marchment up front the team has would have some legitimate fighters on the team. Harpur could lead the league out right in majors with regular usage and Marchment could be top-10 on that list as a secondary guy, who would make life miserable for everyone he lines up against. Rather than running someone like Aberg, I would love Marchment with some talent around him on the 4th line.

I have Wilson penciled in for line #3-4 with the Marlies. I'm not sure he brings enough. But, he could serve as a good replacement for Marchment if he came up from the Marlies.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Unlike guys who have actually been effective in the NHL like Agostino, Shore, and Aberg.......Wilson is in fact a true AHL calibre signing.

Reactions: qqaz and smitty10

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
He looks like more of a Clune Clone for the Marlies than a Leafs player. In a decade of pro hockey eligibility he has just about one season's worth of NHL games played and more than half of them were from last year. The odds of him beating out Read or any of the other role-playing depth fighting for a 4th line spot are slim.

Reactions: qqaz

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
I'd rather try out Marchment. Is he better served with another year in the AHL if his upside is pretty much set on line #4? Or could he still develop to his full potential being used there right away? I think the team does need some physical identity. Between Harpur looking on paper like a regular plus a guy like Marchment up front the team has would have some legitimate fighters on the team. Harpur could lead the league out right in majors with regular usage and Marchment could be top-10 on that list as a secondary guy, who would make life miserable for everyone he lines up against. Rather than running someone like Aberg, I would love Marchment with some talent around him on the 4th line.

I have Wilson penciled in for line #3-4 with the Marlies. I'm not sure he brings enough. But, he could serve as a good replacement for Marchment if he came up from the Marlies.

Hapur actually did in fact lead the nhl in fighting majors this past season in limited usage (5 or 6 I think). Marchment is a willing fighter but he's not great at it. He does play physical tho no doubt. He's battled injuries so my guess would be he starts on the Marlies and plays most if not all the year there. As someone alluded to above theres a ton of vets competing for so few spots, it appears an uphill battle.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Of the new competing forwards (Aberg, Wilson, Agostino, Shore and I'll include Petan) Aberg still seems like the frontrunner to grab a roster spot while Hyman is recovering. However Wilson and Shore are closer approximations to playing Hyman's type of game. You've got to believe both Wilson and Shore are the type to go through a wall in a short term trial then run out of gas. That might be useful at some point during the season, maybe even the playoffs.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Sure, Wilson has NHL experience/depth signing/injury fill in. If he makes the team it will be because others messed the bed.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Hapur actually did in fact lead the nhl in fighting majors this past season in limited usage (5 or 6 I think). Marchment is a willing fighter but he's not great at it. He does play physical tho no doubt. He's battled injuries so my guess would be he starts on the Marlies and plays most if not all the year there. As someone alluded to above theres a ton of vets competing for so few spots, it appears an uphill battle.
None of the vets signed are that important that they can't start with the Marlies should they clear waivers. I wouldn't be afraid of waiving any of the new vet adds up front outside of Kerfoot and Spezza. I do like Agostino on the roster as well I think he fits the mold of what a 4th liner should bring.

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
None of the vets signed are that important that they can't start with the Marlies should they clear waivers. I wouldn't be afraid of waiving any of the new vet adds up front outside of Kerfoot and Spezza. I do like Agostino on the roster as well I think he fits the mold of what a 4th liner should bring.

Same. Great addition to the 4th line.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Chances he cracks the 4th Line? He played 50 games with Pittsburgh last season.

Yes. I know he’s not a prospect.

Was about to say... The guy is 27.

Chances he cracks the NHL 4th line: Probably not great.

Chances he cracks the AHL 4th line: 100%. He'll be a great vet for the Marlies.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
He looks like more of a Clune Clone for the Marlies than a Leafs player. In a decade of pro hockey eligibility he has just about one season's worth of NHL games played and more than half of them were from last year. The odds of him beating out Read or any of the other role-playing depth fighting for a 4th line spot are slim.
Completely forgot about Read... we really did sign every UFA winger lol

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Hopefully not at all. He's not an NHL level player -- not even a fourth liner. And we've got plenty of guys who are right now signed to contracts.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Wouldn't bet on it, but probably wouldn't entirely rule it out either. There should be enough players on short term, minimal cap hit deals competing for spots to make camp and preseason interesting. Never know who the team might need for depth purposes as the season goes on.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Who said the preseason is meaningless? There are several depth forwards who could grab/lose a job this preseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad