Confirmed with Link: Garbutt swapped for Sekac

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
A word to the wise: don't use a video game to inform you of NHL rules.

xqw0c.jpg

tdfxman

Jul 5, 2010
Got it ... BUT wouldn't a two way contract mean Sekac two way contract would lower his cap hit considerably if he clears waivers? Garbutt's contract was guaranteed regardless if he played in the AHL or NHL.

Hence, Sekac still gives us more cap flexibility than Garbutt:
1. He can play or sit in the press box at a $925K hit.
2. Sekac can be sent down at a much lower salary than Garbutt if he clears.
3. Team who picks Sekac up and his cap hit.

=> If Garbutt doesn't clear waiver, his salary is guaranteed. How much of his cap hit can be buried for the Hawks if Dallas retains half the cap? It might have minimal impact. And does Dallas still retain half his cap hit if he's claimed off waivers? Is Garbutt's salary harder to dump?

If he cleared waivers on an ELC, he would get 10% of the NHL rate. And that is what his salary would be, he would have ZERO cap hit, same as Garbutt cap hit. But Rocky would pay NHL salary to garbutt in rockford while Cakes made what 85K or whatever it is.

So really no difference this year in terms of flexibility between cakes and butt. So ok at least that is setteled.

We are dressing 7 D tonight, Panik overslept, wow what a moron.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Garbut twas signed for next year, Sekac is an RFA. So it gives them a little bit of relief next year. Can fill Garbutts slot with a cheaper player next year.

Just IMO - but with retention the amount of cap savings is pretty minimal considering the replacement. The real benefit is having an open roster spot to give an opportunity to one of the prospects in the pipeline.

Chfan

Apr 16, 2004
Montreal
Habs fan here. I hope you guys give a real chance to Sekac. He has a tremendous skillset that just needs to be polished. To have followed him really closely, I think he fits in perfectly in the Blackhawks style. Don't write him off just yet.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Worst case scenario he doesnt work out, we trade his rights in the offseason for a low draft pick and have Garbutt's 900k for Panarin bonus money. Also clears a spot for Hartman to get a good look. Good work Stan.

Well put. Worst case scenario, he'll be on the bench and we have more cap space next year.

Not bad.

Just IMO - but you don't really have the $900K for Panarin bonus, because you have to replace Garbutt with another warm body on the roster. If you bring someone in at the league minimum - you really save about $350K, and most of the prospects are probably making about what Garbutt's cap hit was.

It does open up a roster spot to give a guy who hopefully has a future with the Hawks a chance at earning a job, and moves Garbutt out early.

Like others said - not much downside to this deal.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
I'm pretty sure you are right. The Hawks get a player with some skill with $925K cap WITH a two way contract. More importantly, Garbutt's $900K cap hit is off the books next year too. It was a cap trade ... but Stan also got a skill player too as a punt. It's a great trade unless the Hawks don't have the talent to replace a 4th line grinder.

The only thing a 2 way contract gets the Hawks is that the team gets to pay the player about 10% of what's he was in the NHL. And since you the first $950K of cap can get sent to the AHL with no cap implications, AFAIK, there is no impact to the Hawks cap if JS is on a one or two way deal.

FinnFan8

Expert Thread-Killer
Dec 7, 2015
SF, CA
If he cleared waivers on an ELC, he would get 10% of the NHL rate. And that is what his salary would be, he would have ZERO cap hit, same as Garbutt cap hit. But Rocky would pay NHL salary to garbutt in rockford while Cakes made what 85K or whatever it is.

So really no difference this year in terms of flexibility between cakes and butt. So ok at least that is setteled.

Thank you for waving the Cakes flag :handclap:

Like the Panik move, this seems like a free lotto ticket. Butt's skillset could have been replaced by any number of kids in RFD, so taking a chance at someone who can offer a little more for an even cap hit and less future commitment is a plus in my book.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC

The NHL Cap Rules are so confusing. I give up. So after all that:

* 2016: Cakes for Butt trade: Pretty much a wash in regards to cap flexibility.
* 2017: Expiration of Cakes' contract gives the Hawks roster flexibility.

=> So we go back to: Skill for Grinder. Got it.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
wow love this trade.

Was posting just yesterday about how really I was down on GGarbutt. He NEVER EVER EVER sustains plays. He can get to a puck winning a race and give a guy a pass to finish (or not). He shoots from anywhere.

His patience level on a 1-10 is 1. Plus, he takes stupid penalties. This is another little tweak by Bowman, love it. Like posters have said, some skill in this system, it might come out. Bowman is on a fix the 4th line to get players that can help, so even a 10% better player is a BIG difference.

If 14 doesn't suck turning puck over like in half his games, he helps.
Good job Stan.

Make a BIG move at deadline for 1LW and shaw to 3rd and that puts 11-16 back, just need 2 more W's that can play, hopefully 14 and this guy. Mash seems to just be along for the ride.

EDIT: Another Czech with Panik. Stan goin all eastern european and russian :)

Cakes is Czech. Panik is Slovak. I know some Slovaks would be insulted if you called them Czech. :)

As for the trade, not expecting much, and I understand the cap reasons. Still, want to see what he can do--especially if Panik can pot a couple before being confounded by an alarm clock.

tdfxman

Jul 5, 2010
The NHL Cap Rules are so confusing. I give up. So after all that:

* 2016: Cakes for Butt trade: Pretty much a wash in regards to cap flexibility.
* 2017: Expiration of Cakes' contract gives the Hawks roster flexibility.

=> So we go back to: Skill for Grinder. Got it.

You got it. Game set match. Bet $4 on the Hawks tonight on my Bovada account lol. I have a bad feeling about this.

tdfxman

Jul 5, 2010
Cakes is Czech. Panik is Slovak. I know some Slovaks would be insulted if you called them Czech. :)

As for the trade, not expecting much, and I understand the cap reasons. Still, want to see what he can do--especially if Panik can pot a couple before being confounded by an alarm clock.

Yes I figured there would be a subtle difference so I hedged with eastern european. OK and Hossa is a Slovak, so 2-1. Got it, thanks!

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Yes I figured there would be a subtle difference so I hedged with eastern european. OK and Hossa is a Slovak, so 2-1. Got it, thanks!

Back at grad school, I once called Jagr Czechoslovakian to my Czech friend. He was no longer my friend.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
You guys are gonna be impressed by him, I'm convinced.

Thanks for the input. I was surprised when MTL dealt him midyear and I'm happy to have him considering he can play LW and Garbutt spot will hopefully be occupied by Shaw come playoffs.

Hawks Win

Apr 24, 2015
And one more thing- sekac (sekach) in the Slavic languages translates roughly as a cutter, a saw. :yo:

DontToewzMeBro

May 8, 2010
Hmmm...

While Garbutt wasn't great he applied pressure which was of the Andre Shaw fashion, snag your body along the boards get oucks in and out via any means necessary. I understand why the deal was made though.

Chfan

Apr 16, 2004
Montreal
Thanks for the input. I was surprised when MTL dealt him midyear and I'm happy to have him considering he can play LW and Garbutt spot will hopefully be occupied by Shaw come playoffs.

He never really got a chance or the ice-time to prove his worth, but he did very well with what he was given. He has well above average hands. He is a very big body and has excellent skating. He lacks finish but when he scores it's highlight reel goals. The downside is that he plays a VERY East-West kind of game and was trying to be creative and it drove Therrien crazy because he didn't dump and chase.

Last edited:

tdfxman

Jul 5, 2010
See that is what makes Q 2nd all time in wins. He doesn't care WTF you do on Offence. he cares about defending the right way and mangeing the puck in a relaiable and dependable way.

For player X that might mean north south, for others (88 72) it means anything goes.

But if you can't play WITHOUT the puck, it's over. Too many coaches care about what F's do WITH it. That crushes creativity, there is no need for that.

That is the key, to me, of Q's system. You have FREEDOM with it, but you better be good without it.

With that said, they obviously think he can fit, but interesting when Q said in TB it was a "business decision". He went right to that answer when asked. I think they are cutting back thinking Breadman hits bonus and to clear next year helps.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
Worst case scenario he doesnt work out, we trade his rights in the offseason for a low draft pick and have Garbutt's 900k for Panarin bonus money. Also clears a spot for Hartman to get a good look. Good work Stan.

+infinity

I'm in the Garbutt was at least serviceable camp. But Panarin's likely gonna hit his big bonuses, so Garbutt had to go.

WJSN

Cosmic
Dec 22, 2013
I don't think this move has much to do with next year. Garbutt's 900k counts pretty much the same as any ELC these days. Considering someone had to replace Garbutt's spot on the team next season. This move is plus-minus zero on the books. They probably liked Sekac better than Garbutt as a player. Hawks get a player in his contract year thus he should be motivated to prove his worth or he's KHL-bound.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
CD 50, thanks for the highlight reel.

I see speed, uses both sides of his stick well and seems to be able to find the back of the net.

What's the knock on him?

Would like to try him w/TT and Danault.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad