GDT: Game Today? Devils @ BJs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
I wouldn't bet on Hynes not making it to next season.

I can't really be too mad about the last two games or critique Hynes for these past two games, other than playing Cory in both back to back's this weekend, which wasn't really needed. It wasn't necessary at all.

Obviously, what happens roster-wise during the offseason will play a part, but how much rope does Hynes get then? If the team gets off to something like 8-10-2, does Shero make a change?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Honestly, given the remaining schedule and the likelihood they don't win any more than 4 more games, I don't see Hynes making it to next season unless Shero cleans house of some "veterans". Henrique and Cammalleri would be the leading candidates. Moore isn't a veteran, but he needs to go also.

The team has mailed it in and major changes need to be made. Unfortunately, this rebuild is going to be longer than hoped.

If December didn't get Hynes fired this stretch won't. Not in his second season.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Hynes will be the coach next year, but I'm not sure he is going to have a lot of rope if the team starts struggling like this again.

If the team finishes in the bottom 5 in goal scoring again and has zero improvement in points from his first season here, I think it's time to consider not letting him have a year four. And if we do bring him back for a year, it should be on a one year ''Show me'' deal.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
If the team finishes in the bottom 5 in goal scoring again and has zero improvement in points from his first season here, I think it's time to consider not letting him have a year four. And if we do bring him back for a year, it should be on a one year ''Show me'' deal.

I'd give him until Christmas if we struggle out of the gate next season. I'm definitely not opposed to getting rid of Ward or Nessedrine after this season though.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I'd give him until Christmas if we struggle out of the gate next season. I'm definitely not opposed to getting rid of Ward or Nessedrine after this season though.

I'm not exactly opposed to cleaning house with the assistants either but when does that ever happen in the NHL without a head coaching change?

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
I'm not exactly opposed to cleaning house with the assistants either but when does that ever happen in the NHL without a head coaching change?

Fair point, but would at least be a message to figure it the **** out or else. I'm sure Shero has let Hynes know that this level of play is never acceptable, but a move like that wouldn't hurt either. Ether that or trade off guys like Cam and Rico to wake everyone up.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I think trading Rico to "wake the team up" would be a mistake. Cammalleri on the other hand can take a hike if we can get anything decent for him.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
I think trading Rico to "wake the team up" would be a mistake. Cammalleri on the other hand can take a hike if we can get anything decent for him.

I don't condone it myself, I like Henrique as a player but say we got a nice return for him I wouldn't be upset. Doubt it happens considering this team is lightyears from actually contending.

Cam is going to be a problem to move given his decline and NMC, think he's probably going to play out his contract here unfortunately.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
It depends on who is available too. Julien is off the board. I don't think Yzerman is going to fire Cooper. There isn't really a more experienced coach out there I think would be that much of an improvement. Which pretty much leaves current assistants or AHL head coaches as the most likely options.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It depends on who is available too. Julien is off the board. I don't think Yzerman is going to fire Cooper. There isn't really a more experienced coach out there I think would be that much of an improvement. Which pretty much leaves current assistants or AHL head coaches as the most likely options.

Hitch seems like the only option if he even wants to coach again. Therrion I guess, but I'm not sure I want to go down that road

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
God no on Therrien

And Hitch would make us better defensively but we'd still be bottom of the barrel when it comes to offense, rather have someone who can get us scoring again.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Hitch seems like the only option if he even wants to coach again. Therrion I guess, but I'm not sure I want to go down that road

I'd stay away from Therrien at all costs.

Unless it was as an assistant maybe.

Hitch is a maybe

If Sutter is available, you at least HAVE to give him a call and see if he'd like to come here.

LA's roster isn't that great and they're still close to the top in least amount of goals allowed, but their offense is also one of the lower scoring teams. People talk about Budaj all the time, but he wasn't really any better than Cory has been this season. Since he faces quite few less shots per game though, average goaltending kept them in the playoff race, since their team defense is one of the best in the league.

The ''Roster being bad'' is not a good enough justification to pass on Sutter and keep Hynes.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
There has to be a few more potential firings. Seems like this might be one of the thinnest coaching classes in a while.

I wonder if Detroit fires their young coach, not that I want him over Hynes. Just curious

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
There has to be a few more potential firings. Seems like this might be one of the thinnest coaching classes in a while.

I wonder if Detroit fires their young coach, not that I want him over Hynes. Just curious

He's another guy that I think is overrated. Not that I think they could have made the playoffs with a better coach, I just think he and Hynes were pretty overrated when hired a couple years ago.

If Detroit really does fire him though, I don't see how you can bring Hynes back in 18-19 if we miss the playoffs again next year. I wonder if Willie from the Canucks is gone too? He has one more year left I think.

Willie Desjardins is one a handful of head coaches that I think is definitely worse than Hynes.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
If we're trying to be a more up tempo, speed based team, I don't think Sutter is the best option, even if the Kings let him go.

RNCDevil

Jun 21, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
What soul-crushing Devils archetype did this game match?

- Maclean dumpster fire?
- Lemaire false hope?
- Deboer useless possession-tough building?
- Sutter collapse against the Canes?
- Hynes regular-old miss-the-net, soul crusher?

RNCDevil

Jun 21, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
I think the Devils next goal will involve Miles Wood physically ingesting a puck and then skating at mach 3 through a goalie and into the net. Somehow Josefson will get injured during the play.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
I think the Devils next goal will involve Miles Wood physically ingesting a puck and then skating at mach 3 through a goalie and into the net. Somehow Josefson will get injured during the play.

The shock wave will break his femur

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
What soul-crushing Devils archetype did this game match?

- Maclean dumpster fire?
- Lemaire false hope?
- Deboer useless possession-tough building?
- Sutter collapse against the Canes?
- Hynes regular-old miss-the-net, soul crusher?

This game actually looked a lot like some of those ridiculous games out of the Spring of 2013, only with better goaltending. It was like some of those games we'd outshoot the opponent 35-17 and would be in the hole pretty quickly, due to weak goaltending. Especially with Hedberg in there.

We also had a few MacLeanian era specials that looked like this as well. Only we usually allowed more goals then 1 non-empty netter in those games, due to either a couple weak glove side wristers past Marty glove or Jamie Langenbrunner with a perfect tape to tape pass to the opposition only about 5 feet away from the net.
You got a date on that one that you can give us? Don't look like Josefson's gonna be back for the rest of this trip.

So I guess we're getting shutout by whatever random crash test dummy Colorado puts in the goal on Thursday night and Mike Smith on Saturday night. Should be groovy times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad