TV: Game of Thrones Spin-off (potentially)

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
This development news means there are now seven Thrones projects in the works in addition to the upcoming House of the Dragon prequel series, which debuts Aug. 21.

Even though probably not all of those projects will get made, it's still surprising to me that there are that many in the works at once. HBO seems to be taking lessons from Disney on how to milk a franchise.

I wasn't much of a fan of Jon Snow (no personality or charisma) and am not sure how compelling a series that focuses on him will be (a series about Tyrion, though, sign me up), but I do like that it's a sequel and not a prequel like so many series these days.

Last edited:

Scotianhab

Aug 2, 2005
Nova Scotia
Even though probably not all of those will get made, it's still surprising to me that there are that many in the works at once. HBO seems to be taking lessons from Disney on how to milk a franchise.

I wasn't much of a fan of Jon Snow (no personality or charisma) and am not sure how compelling a series that focuses on him will be (a series about Tyrion, though, sign me up), but I do like that it's a sequel and not a prequel like so many series these days.
Yeah Assuming Tormund might be in it occasionally as well. That’s always fun.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
It's kind of hard to care about what happens to the characters after season 8. I suppose following Jon Snow is smart since you can get away from the consequences of almost everything that happened at the end since he headed north of the wall.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Sequel with Jon Snow after his exile.
could be interesting to see what happened in the areas where the White walkers ruled--Not into the lore of GOT prior to the books--but it was suggested in one youtube video that there was more one white walker king at a time--like with GOT there other, smaller kingdoms

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I mean as poorly as Jon got written in the last season, and as much as I know more complex and harder to read characters were more compelling, I really liked Jon if for nothing else but that through a substantially different journey he still ended up remarkably similar to his adoptive father. And for all the characters who had to adapt to play the "Game". It was nice to have one character be stubborn about doing what he felt was the honorable thing, even if it inconvenienced others and have that same character make it through to the end.

But I really don't know about this man. They're really going to have to work hard to come up with a compelling climax to work towards with this one. Because on its face, ascendancy as King of the True North doesn't seem all that compelling without some kind of adverse force to overcome.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
The ending of the show should have been different. I always thought that the only way to defeat the Night King would have been that somebody was forced to replace him, and relieve him from his curse.

So Night King was exhausted with the role he was thrusted upon and wanted to die to as a normal person and had been waiting for hundreds of years for a person capable/worthy of killing him. Jon Snow seemed primed for this and I thought this would be how the series would progress. The death of NK was massive letdown for the series after all that build-up regarding him.

So Jon Snow would have had to sacrifice himself and save the world by killing the Night King (by NK allowing him to do this) and thus replacing the NK and heading beyond North. And staying there until things get that bad again that Jon Snow (now the incumbent NK) would be forced to head south and "the next winter would be coming".

With that ending it would have made a good sequel to see what Jon Snow as the new Night King would be doing during his hundreds/thousand year waiting for next winter to to happen.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The ending of the show should have been different. I always thought that the only way to defeat the Night King would have been that somebody was forced to replace him, and relieve him from his curse.

So Night King was exhausted with the role he was thrusted upon and wanted to die to as a normal person and had been waiting for hundreds of years for a person capable/worthy of killing him. Jon Snow seemed primed for this and I thought this would be how the series would progress. The death of NK was massive letdown for the series after all that build-up regarding him.

So Jon Snow would have had to sacrifice himself and save the world by killing the Night King (by NK allowing him to do this) and thus replacing the NK and heading beyond North. And staying there until things get that bad again that Jon Snow (now the incumbent NK) would be forced to head south and "the next winter would be coming".

With that ending it would have made a good sequel to see what Jon Snow as the new Night King would be doing during his hundreds/thousand year waiting for next winter to to happen.

It's a bit like Pirates of the Caribbean 3.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Please tell me this is a massive misunderstanding and it's actually about the guy who invented Epidemiology.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011

That’s a pretty cool concept actually.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Season 8 of GOT was one of the worst things every produced on Television and for a long time it completely ruined the entire series for me. Knowing how bad it ends after how good the first 6 seasons were(And personally I enjoyed season 7 a lot as well).

But the series was so good aside from 8, that I would absolutely watch this without hesitation.

Honestly, I think if Benioff and Weiss have nothing to do with this, it could absolutely be really good.

Reactions: Chaels Arms

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
I'm not sure how I feel about this. I'm sure they'd make some interesting stuff up, but it's kinda lame north of the Wall right now. Walkers are dead, wildlings are the Night's Watch. Maybe there's some Children of the Forrest, and I'm sure they'd discover some newer stuff up there. I'd rather a series about Robert's Rebellion than this, but it's not the worst idea I've seen.

And also if people don't want to see this, just don't watch it. I'm sure it'll get lots of viewers regardless.

Jon? I mean if this is a show about Jon trying to get Rhaegal to forgive him that could be cool. The other two are dead.
Rhaegal is actually the undead one that was killed in Season 7. Drogon is the only remaining one alive. And I'd say he forgave, or at least understood Jon, when he spared him and burned the Iron Throne.

Reactions: gary69

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

Nothing wrong with people coming up with their own ideas but I think the direction is pretty easy to see from both ends. On HBO it was "Game of Thrones", and they were still promoting the 'who will win the throne!?' angle to the final season (I believe). The Night King and his army was a distraction Dan & David just quickly get away with so they could get back to King's Landing.

With GRRM's books being A Song of Ice and Fire, and knowing that the show basically finished with some bullet point ideas from Martin, if the books ever finish they should be far more complex and satisfying but I think a Jon & Dany romance with a bittersweet ending is the end goal.

For the topic not really sure what they could do with a continued Jon storyline. Kit Harrington is a much bigger name draw than Maise William but with where they left off Arya's story would be far more interesting.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Jon got some peace despite all the terrible shit he went through in the story, I can't see how making a show about him would be interesting without making him suffer even more, which undermines his ending.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I'm not sure how I feel about this. I'm sure they'd make some interesting stuff up, but it's kinda lame north of the Wall right now. Walkers are dead, wildlings are the Night's Watch. Maybe there's some Children of the Forrest, and I'm sure they'd discover some newer stuff up there. I'd rather a series about Robert's Rebellion than this, but it's not the worst idea I've seen.

And also if people don't want to see this, just don't watch it. I'm sure it'll get lots of viewers regardless.

Rhaegal is actually the undead one that was killed in Season 7. Drogon is the only remaining one alive. And I'd say he forgave, or at least understood Jon, when he spared him and burned the Iron Throne.
You're right. Brain fart.

Reactions: JimmyApples

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
How's an undead hound going to work?
Ayra has to make an appearance.
Dragon will no doubt show up.
Lots of good things could happen.

Garo

Jul 30, 2005
Montréal
Cool. Nobody will force you to watch it.
man cmon it was an obvious reference

But yes, if I wanted to be serious, an Arya show going to places we have never seen seems like it would be a lot more thrilling on paper than Snow playing in the, well, snow that we have seen for years with various degrees of interest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad