GDT: Game 82: Toto appreciation thread

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
This should mark the conclusion of the Bill Peters era. Hopefully the Scott Darling era too.

Hoping for an 11-10 game for the lols.
I think we should be prepared for disappointment as at least one if not both will probably be back. Both of them being gone would be great, but the least unlikely scenario. At least IMO.

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
But dem corsi stays. 12 games ago or so when BP said that they had a plan during an interview after 6 straight losses and right after the trade deadline. I fully expected him to have a crazy laugh after that statement. Jesus, what a train wreck of a season.

Reactions: vorbis and Tryamw

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
This should mark the conclusion of the Bill Peters era. Hopefully the Scott Darling era too.
See now, this is how expectations stray from realism. We'll be damn lucky if Darling is gone, and we already know Dundon won't hire a GM who doesn't give Peters a vote of strong confidence.

Set your mind to the eventuality that they will both be back, and if that doesn't happen, you have something to be happy about.
Set your mind to the implausible end that one/both will be cast off, and when it doesn't happen, you're unjustifiably pissed off.

Jun 21, 2016
Latvia
I just can't imagine another pro sports franchise missing the playoffs 4 straight years and not firing the coach. Maybe that happens all the time, I'm basing this solely on gut feeling... did a little bit of googling but couldn't find like a list of playoff droughts
  • There are no active NHL head coaches who have worked for 4 seasons in a row without playoffs. (If Peters continuous, he will be the only one)
  • There is only 1 active NBA head coach who missed playoffs 4 years in a row - 76ers Brett Brown, but he knew that 76ers are rebuilding and he signed 4-year guaranteed contract, and this is the first season when they should make playoffs and they did it. (It's his 5th season, and they made it)
  • There is only 1 active MLB manager who has missed playoffs 4 seasons in a row - Bryan Price, manger of Cincinnati Reds. I don't know why he is still the manger there, it seems fans are not happy about that. (5th seasons as a manger, probably will not make playoffs again)
  • There are no active NFL head coaches who have worked for 4 seasons in a row without playoffs.
  • There are no active MLS managers who have worked for 4 seasons in a row without playoffs.
Makes you think.

Last edited:

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I just can't imagine another pro sports franchise missing the playoffs 4 straight years and not firing the coach. Maybe that happens all the time, I'm basing this solely on gut feeling... did a little bit of googling but couldn't find like a list of playoff droughts

And yet we will be that team. Fan support will drop like a stone being thrown off a bridge, the novelty of having a new owner will wear off, and the good talent we do have will be demanding trades.

I said it in another thread, but NC State Basketball had a major resurgence this season with Kevin Keatts. Different sport and you have to get the right guy I know, but they are in a much better position now than they ever were under Gottfried.

Keeping Peters around isn't doing anyone (Peters included) any favors, he'll get fired in November after the inevitable 4 game losing streak in which the team looks disinterested, can't score, and fans chanting "Fire Peters", and we will all be wondering why there was no change made in the off-season.

Darling must go too.

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
And yet we will be that team. Fan support will drop like a stone being thrown off a bridge, the novelty of having a new owner will wear off, and the good talent we do have will be demanding trades.

I said it in another thread, but NC State Basketball had a major resurgence this season with Kevin Keatts. Different sport and you have to get the right guy I know, but they are in a much better position now than they ever were under Gottfried.

Keeping Peters around isn't doing anyone (Peters included) any favors, he'll get fired in November after the inevitable 4 game losing streak in which the team looks disinterested, can't score, and fans chanting "Fire Peters", and we will all be wondering why there was no change made in the off-season.

Darling must go too.

You are like a broken record dude. You constantly repeat yourself in every other thread about how Peters and Darling must go and lately you said you wanted to become a vegan to save the farm animals. Well today I went to Bojangles, got a 12-piece tailgate combo, and ate all of it. Suck on that you hippie liberal douchebag.

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
You are like a broken record dude. You constantly repeat yourself in every other thread about how Peters and Darling must go and lately you said you wanted to become a vegan to save the farm animals. Well today I went to Bojangles, got a 12-piece tailgate combo, and ate all of it. Suck on that you hippie liberal *****ebag.

Spoken like a true gun-toting, tobacco-spitting, trump-supporting redneck. Go cook up some more meth in your trailer with your wife who is also your sister. Also I have reported you to the mods.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
  • There are no active NHL head coaches who have worked for 4 seasons without playoffs. (If Peters continuous, he will be the only one)
  • There is only 1 active NBA head coach who missed playoffs 4 years in a row - 76ers Brett Brown, but he knew that 76ers are rebuilding and he signed 4-year guaranteed contract, and this is the first season when they should make playoffs and they did it. (It's his 5th season, and they made it)
  • There is only 1 active MLB manager who has missed playoffs 4 seasons in a row - Bryan Price, manger of Cincinnati Reds. I don't know why he is still the manger there, it seems fans are not happy about that. (5th seasons as a manger, probably will not make playoffs again)
  • There are no active NFL head coaches who have worked for 4 seasons without playoffs.
  • There are no active MLS managers who have worked for 4 seasons without playoffs.
Makes you think.
Peters was hired as we more or less started a rebuild. I think as long as the team was showing improvement, however incremental, he was doing a solid enough job. Now that there's not gonna be improvement, he should be shown the door. If we don't fire him, I hope he exercises his out clause.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
Thanks Breakdowns. I'm sure there's an argument to be made that frequent coach turnover may not be the most effective way to turn fortunes around- takes time to implement/learn systems, the players are the ones that have to execute, etc. But I mean- they gave muller 3 years, Maurice 2.0 got 2 and a half, and laviolette only got 2 and change after winning the Stanley freaking Cup. If dundon truly believes that peters just needs more talent (which is the impression I get but what do I know) then he better be ready to throw some serious money around to provide him with it. Difference makers don't grow on trees and we'll pretty much have to overpay one to get them here

Jun 21, 2016
Latvia
Peters was hired as we more or less started a rebuild. I think as long as the team was showing improvement, however incremental, he was doing a solid enough job. Now that there's not gonna be improvement, he should be shown the door. If we don't fire him, I hope he exercises his out clause.
I agree, I was patient with him as well, but this season we have stalled or gone backwards, and management said that this was the year when we will improve enough to make playoffs finally. Thank you for these 4 years Bill, but I want to see someone else in your place.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad