GDT: Game 8 Ottawa @ Vegas 7pm. Stone's nightmare?

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
As far as Pirri replacing Zykov, I think it isn't a big deal for the lineup. I realize Pirri can have his problems but honestly, in the past few games, Zykov hasn't done anything of note to help the team so all Pirri has to do is go in there and do nothing to replicate that production.

I saw Zykov fail to forecheck or let an offensive chance die on his stick so many times last game that even if Pirri makes some dumb passes, I think the effect won't be any worse.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
So, Glass-Eakin-Tuch when Tuch comes back is pretty much set in Stone.

I'd rather Eakin-Glass-Tuch but that seems the way they are going with it.

I even wouldn't mind putting Stastny back there with the better linemates. They need to do what they can to have three good lines.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
As far as Pirri replacing Zykov, I think it isn't a big deal for the lineup. I realize Pirri can have his problems but honestly, in the past few games, Zykov hasn't done anything of note to help the team so all Pirri has to do is go in there and do nothing to replicate that production.

I saw Zykov fail to forecheck or let an offensive chance die on his stick so many times last game that even if Pirri makes some dumb passes, I think the effect won't be any worse.

It's nice when every player forechecks 100% effectively, backchecks 100% effectively, and shoots perfectly, putting it top shelf every shot, but then scores wouldn't be in single digits. Zykov has been, on average, very good, and his effort level has reminded me of Carpenter.

Nevada Jones

I like hockey.
Jun 28, 2017
Somewhere in Oregon.
Think we must get these two points tonight, as I'm having a bad feeling about the upcoming roadie. Fear we'll be looking up at more teams in the Pacific than looking down by the time we get back home. Of course, I'm usually wrong about these things so that's the good news! :nod:

And, yes, I know it's still early in the season, but I love to torture myself. :laugh:

Go! :vegas Go!

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
It's nice when every player forechecks 100% effectively, backchecks 100% effectively, and shoots perfectly, putting it top shelf every shot, but then scores wouldn't be in single digits. Zykov has been, on average, very good, and his effort level has reminded me of Carpenter.

I would say very good is way, way, way overstating it. The third line has been by far our weakest spot in the forward lineup and Zykov has been the only consistent there.

Has he been a little better than Pirri? Sure, but by so small an amount I am not worried about it costing us any points.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
I would say very good is way, way, way overstating it. The third line has been by far our weakest spot in the forward lineup and Zykov has been the only consistent there.

Has he been a little better than Pirri? Sure, but by so small an amount I am not worried about it costing us any points.

We clearly watch the game for different things. Of course our third line is the weakest. Glass's inexperience plays a part in that as well. Between Zeke, Pirri, and Glass, I'll say Glass is by far superior in passing and vision, Zeke has been the better of the three on crowding the puck to gain possession as well as general energy on ice, and Pirri has contributed virtually zero.

On the third line, we never needed Zeke to be a stickhandling or passing legend. We just needed him to contribute to possession, and he did that. And he was only getting more confident. Turnovers? Every single team member has their share of those, including Lord God Stone.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
We clearly watch the game for different things. Of course our third line is the weakest. Glass's inexperience plays a part in that as well. Between Zeke, Pirri, and Glass, I'll say Glass is by far superior in passing and vision, Zeke has been the better of the three on crowding the puck to gain possession as well as general energy on ice, and Pirri has contributed virtually zero.

On the third line, we never needed Zeke to be a stickhandling or passing legend. We just needed him to contribute to possession, and he did that. And he was only getting more confident. Turnovers? Every single team member has their share of those, including Lord God Stone.

I've actually felt the third line played way too often without the puck, so I would call into question somewhat how good Zykov was truly at playing a possession game. But, that isn't solely on him or even his linemates, sometimes their shift starts in a bad position.

I agree that everyone has turned the puck over, including more than once by Stone in particularly egregious fashion. But I am not sure why that is brought up, Pirri turns the puck over just as much as Zykov, that isn't why I have no problem with it.

Zykov played better than last year, and I had no problem with him in the lineup over Pirri, I just won't worry about losing him for 20 games or, more likely, completely. Playing Pirri instead of him is not going to be viewed as much more than a wash by me.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
MILESTONE ALERT!

Pacioretty-Max.png

700 NHL Games

MILESTONE WATCH!

Stone-Mark_VGK_.png

200 NHL Assists

Reactions: Nevada Jones

Ad