GDT: Game 8: NY Trotzys vs Preds 12:30PM start!

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
There were stretches of good play and stretches of “WTF are you doing “ play. So many bad passes, I started trying to count the ones that connected. The pp is still an embarrassment. The guys need to make simple plays and shoot the puck when they have an open lane.

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
Win!! :yo::handclap:

To be honest, I didn't think we would pull this game out.

Sorokin was making ridiculous saves and I felt like the Isles were just outworking the Preds. Not that the Preds weren't working hard, I just thought the Isles were working that much harder.

Anyway, Tanner Jeannot!! I'm loving this kid!

Islanders fans are alright! I had almost a whole row behind me that ended up being some pretty cool guys!

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Hynes needs to learn how to become more adaptable with his coaching. The PP set up was clearly not going to work yesterday and we didn't come out with different looks after the first.

While I'm happy for the win, I still have serious concerns about our coach.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I'm still pissed off that Dean Evason split starts between Mazanec and Saros in Saros' first year in North America.

I agree with you.

I am still angry that Deano was the coach in Milwaukee at all. He was the guy that had no use for Trenin, who also lost 1/2 a season in MKE because Evason did not want to play him. Now, Trenin is a regular in the NHL. A Russian guy who assists and scores goals and isn't afraid to check the living daylights out of people. What's not to like about that?

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Hynes needs to learn how to become more adaptable with his coaching. The PP set up was clearly not going to work yesterday and we didn't come out with different looks after the first.

While I'm happy for the win, I still have serious concerns about our coach.

Welcome to the club!

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
The PP got a few looks, and struggled at different points during the game against the Isles. How much is system and how much is players failing to execute is debatable. Objective measures put the PP% at 26.9% ... the PK dropped to under 78% and 21st in the league.

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
I think it’s poor execution by the players, the unit with more new guys appears to run a bit better. I suspect the older ones are habituated to the dysfunctional one. They would rather do what’s comfortable than have to think to make better plays. It’s frustrating to watch an opposing pp (like the first Isles goal), and then watch our ineptitude.

Reactions: nine_inch_fang

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
I think it’s poor execution by the players, the unit with more new guys appears to run a bit better. I suspect the older ones are habituated to the dysfunctional one. They would rather do what’s comfortable than have to think to make better plays. It’s frustrating to watch an opposing pp (like the first Isles goal), and then watch our ineptitude.

Look at the approach of PP1 on their first two attempts against the Wild and then compare it to yesterday. The difference between predictable movement patterns with no sense of urgency and moving with and without the puck to attack ... something that PP1 showed for about 20 seconds on one opportunity yesterday.

If they continue to frustrate but convert at 20% or better for the season, I'll deal with it.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Blaming the coach for the woes of the PP is nothing but confirmation bias. Some of you want so bad for the coach to fail so you can say you were right that you aren't objectively analyzing what you see happening on the ice compared to what you hear before and after the game from coaches and players.

PP1 starts a game (after having it drilled into their heads in meetings) passing the puck quickly, constantly skating, and moving the puck around to unbalance the defense. Then after the first couple power plays and/or later into the game they fall back into the same ol' stand around and hold the puck for 2-3 seconds before taking a horrible shot, making a bad pass, or continuing the slow perimeter passing.

This is clearly a player execution issue and as good as Josi has been this year he is the biggest offender and as the PP QB he's a huge influence on how they execute.

Reactions: hockey diva

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Blaming the coach for the woes of the PP is nothing but confirmation bias. Some of you want so bad for the coach to fail so you can say you were right that you aren't objectively analyzing what you see happening on the ice compared to what you hear before and after the game from coaches and players.

PP1 starts a game (after having it drilled into their heads in meetings) passing the puck quickly, constantly skating, and moving the puck around to unbalance the defense. Then after the first couple power plays and/or later into the game they fall back into the same ol' stand around and hold the puck for 2-3 seconds before taking a horrible shot, making a bad pass, or continuing the slow perimeter passing.

This is clearly a player execution issue and as good as Josi has been this year he is the biggest offender and as the PP QB he's a huge influence on how they execute.

Where I blame the staff is in their continuing to keep rolling the same PP1 from a manning perspective. Those five continually revert back to the same things. At some point not playing them as a unit becomes the only way to get the message through.

Reactions: hockey diva

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Where I blame the staff is in their continuing to keep rolling the same PP1 from a manning perspective. Those five continually revert back to the same things. At some point not playing them as a unit becomes the only way to get the message through.
That's fair but the overall numbers for the year are decent and when the players are doing what is asked of them they're downright dangerous. As a coach you see those positive changes (though inconsistent) and hope you can keep showing film to finally break through to get a more consistent execution.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
That's fair but the overall numbers for the year are decent and when the players are doing what is asked of them they're downright dangerous. As a coach you see those positive changes (though inconsistent) and hope you can keep showing film to finally break through to get a more consistent execution.

We're over three seasons in to trying to get the core of that group to change from watching film. They move and attack when they feel like it, not consistently. When that group wants to dominate and assert themselves, they do it. Too often they move in predictable patterns without any intention to attack. That group has a decent output so far in spite of games like yesterday where they were nearly invisible beyond about 20 seconds of one opportunity. Even in the Wild game they played as expected for only part of the game before reverting to old habits.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
We're over three seasons in to trying to get the core of that group to change from watching film. They move and attack when they feel like it, not consistently. When that group wants to dominate and assert themselves, they do it. Too often they move in predictable patterns without any intention to attack. That group has a decent output so far in spite of games like yesterday where they were nearly invisible beyond about 20 seconds of one opportunity. Even in the Wild game they played as expected for only part of the game before reverting to old habits.
Who is the "we" that has been trying to get that set of 5 players to change for 3 years?

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
The fan base getting over the core of Forsberg, Josi, Johansen, Duchene. The coaches mixed in Granlund and Tolvanen. That hasn't changed things.

That said, for all of the issues we're seeing this season, the PP% is significantly better than the past three seasons.
Josi wasn't PP1 until 19-20. Duchene wasn't even on the team before 19-20.
The only chance Hynes had to effect the PP was last season and Johansen and Duchene weren't even on the PP.
The way I see it, this the first real chance for this coaching staff to effect the PP. We all know that last preseason was almost non-existent and practices during the season couldn't happen very often so as frustrated as some might be a little perspective is probably good.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Josi wasn't PP1 until 19-20. Duchene wasn't even on the team before 19-20.
The only chance Hynes had to effect the PP was last season and Johansen and Duchene weren't even on the PP.
The way I see it, this the first real chance for this coaching staff to effect the PP. We all know that last preseason was almost non-existent and practices during the season couldn't happen very often so as frustrated as some might be a little perspective is probably good.

Duchene is in his 3rd season as a Pred all with significant PP time (2:39 PP per game in 2019-20). Joey is in his 4th season as a Pred, all with significant PP time. Both Josi and Forsberg date back even further. This might be Hynes' first chance to use training camp to impart his views on PP play, but we've seen the same group of players together for years.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Duchene is in his 3rd season as a Pred all with significant PP time (2:39 PP per game in 2019-20). Joey is in his 4th season as a Pred, all with significant PP time. Both Josi and Forsberg date back even further. This might be Hynes' first chance to use training camp to impart his views on PP play, but we've seen the same group of players together for years.
Meh, discussing this with you is useless because you'll use PP time for Duchene from 2 years ago and call it 3 just to prove your point. What about the fact the Duchene didn't have significant PP time last year?
Are you going to try to tell me that Josi was on PP1 prior to 2 years ago?

If you're going to try to say "this is the third season" to refute my 2 years ago you're full of shit. They've played all of eight games this years with good overall results even if they are inconsistent.
My whole point is that THIS coaching staff has good reason to be patient and keep working with the PP1 group as is.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Meh, discussing this with you is useless because you'll use PP time for Duchene from 2 years ago and call it 3 just to prove your point. What about the fact the Duchene didn't have significant PP time last year?
Are you going to try to tell me that Josi was on PP1 prior to 2 years ago?

If you're going to try to say "this is the third season" to refute my 2 years ago you're full of shit. They've played all of eight games this years with good overall results even if they are inconsistent.
My whole point is that THIS coaching staff has good reason to be patient and keep working with the PP1 group as is.

Duchene had 2:21 PP TOI per game last season ... 5th on the team overall, 4th among forwards ... 2018 Josi was the leading defender in PP TOI. Subjective vs Objective. Nice ad hominem though ... it's what I expect from desmond, not you.

Their production this season is in reality from one out of eight games ... beyond the Wild game they are all Nick Cousins. That is my problem with them ... 8 games and they have maybe 2 1/2 PP shifts where they played within what Hynes says he wants from the team while PP2 does what the staff says.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad