Janmark - Shore - Ritchie
Dickinson - Spezza - Elie

Lindell - Klingberg
Hamhuis - Pateryn
Methot - Johns

Lehtonen

----------------------------------------
The Opponent

Dallas has found itself on a downhill slide recently, falling from the top wild card spot to sixth in the Central Division after an eight-game losing streak. The Stars eked out an overtime victory on Tuesday in Philadelphia to stop the freefall, but are desperate for points to regain lost ground.

This season, Minnesota and Dallas have split the series, each winning on home ice. Thursday's game is the first of a home-and-home series that will switch to Texas for a Saturday night matchup.

The dangerous trio of Tyler Seguin, Jamie Benn and Alexander Radulov lead the Stars in points, with 73, 69 and 67, respectively. Not surprisingly, they're also the top three goal-scorers; Seguin has potted 39, Benn 28, and Radulov 27.

In the midst of a Norris Trophy-worthy season, defenseman John Klingberg leads the Stars with 55 assists, barely trailing the three big guns with 62 points of his own.

Stars goalie Ben Bishop has missed the last four games with a knee injury and will not play either game against Minnesota. Instead, Kari Lehtonen -- who made 30 saves and backstopped Dallas in its most recent win against the Wild -- will earn the nod in net. Lehtonen is 13-13-3 on the season with a 2.54 goals-against average and a save percentage of .912. In his career against Minnesota, he has posted a record of 11-10-3.

----------------------------------------

Thankfully it looks like Dallas is no longer on that losing streak. Seems like the Wild should take this one unless the Stars suddenly return to form.

Last edited:

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Big opportunity with Colorado losing last night. We'd have a 6 point lead with 5 to play, and I'd start to feel a little more comfortable.

Would be nice to clinch with a couple games to go.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Big opportunity with Colorado losing last night. We'd have a 6 point lead with 5 to play, and I'd start to feel a little more comfortable.

This would be a big one to win. We're sitting at 94 points right now, and you have to figure that 2 more wins/98 pts should be enough to secure a spot. I'd much rather they get those wins in this Dallas-Dallas-Edmonton stretch than needing to get them on the California trip we end the year with.

And if we do want to end up in WC1, securing a playoff spot and resting guys in California would be the ideal way to make it happen.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
A Wild win tonight would mean Dallas can't pass them in the standings.

Kind of thinking Parise should go to the 3rd line and Coyle to the 2nd.

I'd rather have Greenway with Coyle than Parise. Keep the game as simple as possible for Greenway and put him around the net front when possible. Coyle likes to play with the puck and stick handle in space, Parise likes to go net front. Right now I think Greenway compliments Coyle better than Parise.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
I don't think that's technically true...I just checked and Dallas' tragic # is 5. I think it's a virtual certainty that they wouldn't have a chance if we won, but I don't think it would eliminate them.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

I want them to go the "clinch and tank" route.
Even if they end up in the last WC spot i don't see NSH being any worse than WPG as an opponent.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
They said on the radio this morning that if we win tonight Dallas is mathematically eliminated.

It wouldn't eliminate them from the WC race. With a regulation loss they could max out at 94p, an OT loss would be 95p. Both WC teams are sitting at 91p right now.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I want them to go the "clinch and tank" route.
Even if they end up in the last WC spot i don't see NSH being any worse than WPG as an opponent.
Personally, I like the Nashville matchup better than the Winnipeg.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Weirdly enough, I've been leaning that way, too. I think there are more x-factors with Winnipeg (they take a lot of penalties, they don't really have the same amount of playoff experience, Hellebuyck's kind of an unknown in the playoffs), but I could see the amount of raw firepower on that team carrying them through the first round pretty easily. It's a series I could see going lopsidedly in either direction.

Nashville's a tough, tough team, but overall we seem to stack up pretty well against them. I wouldn't consider us the favorites or anything, but it seems like there's less potential for things to go completely pear-shaped against the Predators. Famous last words, I guess.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Agreed. We can play with Nashville.

Jets scare the heck out of me. That group of forwards is just terrifying to think about going against for the next couple of years.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
I'm confident with Wild's chances against everyone but Preds and Jets but it's not like those teams are unbeatable. I think Wild could definitely expose Jets' weak defense corp in a playoff series. Preds would be a really hard one but it seems that Wild matches up well against them.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Gotta lock up this playoff spot!

Go Wild!
tumblr_lyjn2xq9yl1r6wyj1.gif

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Take all the drama out and just win tonight. Then we can start tanking for WC1. :sarcasm:

The Enemy Within

Holl at .6 seconds
Feb 25, 2014
West of the SOH
Plus if we play the Jets in the playoffs the first round, it seems like every Jets game is so very physical. I would hate to see us get a couple of key injuries in a long series against them.

Go Wild! Big game tonight! :)

Wabit

May 23, 2016
The Brewers game finally ended; 2-1 win in 12 innings. I was getting worried it would run into the Wild game and I'd have to make a decision.

Reactions: The Enemy Within

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad