GDT: Game 75: Edmonton vs Coyotes - 7:00pm - BSAZX - NHL Schedulers Suck Edition

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
There were an awful lot of red sweaters in the audience for that - enough so that I glanced up to make sure I was watching a Sabres home game.

Toronto I get, but...there are that many Habs fans living in or willing to make the trip to Buffalo in a down year?
But remember, we’re the only ones who are allowed to get shit for that

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
There were an awful lot of red sweaters in the audience for that - enough so that I glanced up to make sure I was watching a Sabres home game.

Toronto I get, but...there are that many Habs fans living in or willing to make the trip to Buffalo in a down year?
Montreal fans all across Canada so my guess would be most only came across from Southern Ontario.

Edit: forgot to mention Habs farm team was just across the border in Hamilton for over a decade.

Last edited:

LAIslanderFan

Nov 18, 2010
Los Angeles, CA & Surprise, AZ

They Habs fans are like a fungus. They crop up everywhere. They come down to Long Island to Islanders games. I went to a Tampa Bay Lightening game years ago and I was shocked at the number of them in Florida.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
They Habs fans are like a fungus. They crop up everywhere. They come down to Long Island to Islanders games. I went to a Tampa Bay Lightening game years ago and I was shocked at the number of them in Florida.
Estimates have 300,000 Quebecers snowbirding in Florida each winter.

Reactions: Summer Rose

LAIslanderFan

Nov 18, 2010
But remember, we’re the only ones who are allowed to get shit for that
There's a valid reason why there are so many away fans at Coyotes games. The tickets are expensive because the venue is so small. I imagine the average Coyote fan can only afford to go to one or two games a year. If you're an AZ transplant and your team is only going to play in Tempe once or twice a year, you can afford to shell out $100 for a ticket, and that's what large number of away fans do. I'm sure if the Coyotes get the new building and tickets are more adffordable for the average fan, that won't be an issue.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
There's a valid reason why there are so many away fans at Coyotes games. The tickets are expensive because the venue is so small. I imagine the average Coyote fan can only afford to go to one or two games a year. If you're an AZ transplant and your team is only going to play in Tempe once or twice a year, you can afford to shell out $100 for a ticket, and that's what large number of away fans do. I'm sure if the Coyotes get the new building and tickets are more adffordable for the average fan, that won't be an issue.
That kind of makes sense

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Tickets were almost free in last arena with same issues. It will be a long time before this changes for more than a few visiting teams.

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ

Yea unfortunately it's been that way since I was little and went to games at the Aud. Habs fans travel well, and those teams will buy up tickets well out. It won't be as much an issue in another couple years though once the Sabres turn the corner. They're so close, you can see it.

LAIslanderFan

Nov 18, 2010
Tickets were almost free in last arena with same issues. It will be a long time before this changes for more than a few visiting teams.
I respectfully disagree. When the Coyotes put out a good product on the ice, they had no trouble drawing fans. I remember the Whiteout playoff series. Great crowds, loud, boisterous amazing. Then they went through a series of owners (the NHL owned them at one point) that lacked the money to afford to put a good team on the ice, there were problems with Glendale, constant rumors that they were going to Quebec or Houston. It's no wonder fans had little if no enthusiasm for the team. I witnessed the same thing with the Islander as they were in limbo going from one owner to another. Not sure if they'll have a place to play (sound familiar). Fans stopped going to see them. The nickname for the arena at one point was the Nassau Mausoleum. If the Coyotes can get the arena approved in Tempe and they continue to build, they can turn that around. It's just stability and the knowledge that AZ is their permanent home.

Reactions: Schemp

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I respectfully disagree. When the Coyotes put out a good product on the ice, they had no trouble drawing fans. I remember the Whiteout playoff series. Great crowds, loud, boisterous amazing. Then they went through a series of owners (the NHL owned them at one point) that lacked the money to afford to put a good team on the ice, there were problems with Glendale, constant rumors that they were going to Quebec or Houston. It's no wonder fans had little if no enthusiasm for the team. I witnessed the same thing with the Islander as they were in limbo going from one owner to another. Not sure if they'll have a place to play (sound familiar). Fans stopped going to see them. The nickname for the arena at one point was the Nassau Mausoleum. If the Coyotes can get the arena approved in Tempe and they continue to build, they can turn that around. It's just stability and the knowledge that AZ is their permanent home.
That was playoffs, they happen after most visitors are gone home. Unlikely they were ever and will ever be outnumbered when weather turns hot as people don't travel to AZ generally at that time. Its not comparable to Nov to March IMO. And definitely not comparable to Islanders as Phx is a travel destination during hockey season.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
There will always be a lot of away fans at our games, because we have a lot of transplants. But it's a function of how good their team is - difficult to believe, because the valley is crawling with people from Pittsburgh, but there weren't so many of them at our games when they had guys like Ramzi Abid and Landon Wilson on their team instead of Lemieux or Crosby.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I don't know if it's too late to catch the Beniers hype but Maccelli should at least be making it a serious discussion at this point. I think team success will play a role although it really shouldn't.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I don't know if it's too late to catch the Beniers hype but Maccelli should at least be making it a serious discussion at this point. I think team success will play a role although it really shouldn't.

Agreed but Maccelli is also 2 years and some change older and doesn't play center. As impressed as I have been with Maccelli, Beniers has been a big reason why SEA are going to make the playoffs this year (and in turn make the ability to become a repeat playoff team, let alone a true contender much much more difficult)

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Keller has basically doubled his best GAR (rookie year) under Tourigny to 12.1. Hayton went from a negative player to 11.5. Maccelli went from -4.6 his first year to now 7 GAR.

Valimaki went from nothing to 11.3 GAR

For reference, Chychrun's best season (19-20) was 10 flat.

Last edited:

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
Love the fight. Love seeing Maccelli and Hayton pick up multiple goals. Love Keller extending his point streak. Lots to love. Not Veggies best game.

The tank rolls on.

tank-dogs.gif

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad