GDT: Game 73: Red Wings at canes 7:30 pm et 3/28/24 (ESPN+, BSD)

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
So what does one cheer for when you've got no offense, inept defense, bad goaltending, no adjustments, no physicality, no heart and no pushback? They just meekly play out the string with their tails between their legs, not even looking to win the next shift, there's nothing there at all.

One starts to picture the marketing department in a few years wondering why the team doesn't have any fans under 35 years old...
I became a Wings fan because of watching electric players like Fed/Yzerman/Shanahan, McCarty etc and the best of the NHL.

I can’t imagine becoming a Wings fan if this were the team I had to watch.

I can’t imagine we’re building any kind of fan base outside of Michigan

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
They buy into the system. Same with Nashville, Philadelphia, and other teams that aren't loaded with world talent but are playoff bound. Their coaching staff and system are better.

I still don't understand what Lalonde's system is and we're almost two years into his tenure.

Don't know what Blashill's system was either. Was it really "dump and don't chase"?
Agreed…Blashill and Lalonde certainly don’t appear to emphasize defensive hockey, nor physical hockey, and certainly lack the talent to be considered a skilled team.
Ken and Mick making me depressed watching this Hank and Syuk highlight reel.
God…25 seasons of making the playoffs…The Cups, the skill, the heart, the memories.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
giphy.gif

Reactions: JediOrderPizza

OneMoreTry

Sep 26, 2021
I became a Wings fan because of watching electric players like Fed/Yzerman/Shanahan, McCarty etc and the best of the NHL.

I can’t imagine becoming a Wings fan if this were the team I had to watch.

I can’t imagine we’re building any kind of fan base outside of Michigan

That’s exactly what I recognized when I saw the Wings in Stockholm. For both games, the other team had more fans. Sens and especially Leafs. And almost no Swede under 25 wore a Wings jersey. Most Wings fans were older.

God…25 seasons of making the playoffs…The Cups, the skill, the heart, the memories.

Could be worse - you could be me, getting into hockey and becoming a Wings fan in the 10/11 season. Getting a couple more playoff seasons.. and then a decade of rebuilding, which still isn’t ending..

Reactions: nbwingsfan

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
The scary thing is all those teams have players much better than our best player.

Those teams should all be better next season.

That's kinda what I meant. Like literally how are they behind us given the advantages they've had?? The Sabres have two 1st overall picks on their blueline for chrissakes.

But also I think it's a sign of how hard it is to build a good team under the cap. As frustrating as this stretch is, I'd be even more frustrated if I was a fan of those teams. And I think it's going to be a longer road on the rebuild than any of us want to admit. Yzerman has been telling us that in so many words since day 1.

The Wings will likely finish close to but not in a playoff spot, which is about where many have predicted. And I've enjoyed watching more games this season than in the last several years.

Hopefully next season that trend continues. We get some shiny new toys in the lineup to obsess over, the team starts to develop some sort of identity, and wins some more games and makes the playoffs.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Not surprising but still disappointed we play the first half of a game we need and have 7 shots on net.

Hockeyfan2390

Nov 19, 2010
Kansas City, MO
The bloom is off the rose with Yzerman.

It was never supposed to take this long to get back to the playoffs, and it's truly disheartening to see the amount of Yzerman sycophants on social media repeating the Lalonde "well we were never supposed to be in the playoffs this year" loser talk. Detroit could still be out of the playoffs by 2028 and you'll still have the usual "Trust the Yzerplan! How dare you question the CAPTAIN!!!" people defending this garbage.

There's a standard for the Red Wings, and it's not being met. And as far as I can tell, there is zero pressure on Yzerman from up top to get this thing rolling.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

It was never supposed to take this long to get back to the playoffs, and it's truly disheartening to see the amount of Yzerman sycophants on social media repeating the Lalonde "well we were never supposed to be in the playoffs this year" loser talk. Detroit could still be out of the playoffs by 2028 and you'll still have the usual "Trust the Yzerplan! How dare you question the CAPTAIN!!!" people defending this garbage.

There's a standard for the Red Wings, and it's not being met. And as far as I can tell, there is zero pressure on Yzerman from up top to get this thing rolling.
When your best player is a sub PPG center who can’t even score as much as Trocheck, you can’t expect to be a playoff team.

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Could be worse - you could be me, getting into hockey and becoming a Wings fan in the 10/11 season. Getting a couple more playoff seasons.. and then a decade of rebuilding, which still isn’t ending..

Exact same thing for me

Oh well

God those quotes from Lalonde at the beginning for the season were brutal

Give me a coach with some f***ing balls. I'm so tired of this team acting so spineless

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad