GDT: Game #72: Habs vs Flyers, Thurs. March 28, 7 PM | TSN2, RDS

Status
Not open for further replies.

windycity

Sep 30, 2003
Well duh
Visit site
So much to love in that video of the 1984 game. Tough, physical and exciting hockey. Playoff team. The Quebec rivalry. No ads everywhere. Not even glass between the penalty boxes. Dick Irvin. Board battles. Icing. Affordable beer. Reasonable ticket prices. Hits. Fights. Illegal sticks. More hits. More fights. Real hockey.

How am I going to watch the ice ballet tonight after watching this.
I preferred the white jerseys at home too.

I loved Mike McPhee - no frills, just hockey

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I preferred the white jerseys at home too.

I loved Mike McPhee - no frills, just hockey
The NHL should do a 50/50 every year so home fans can enjoy both Jerseys.
Switch them up after The All Star Game or something.
They are actually stupid not to from a marketing stand point.
How many Habs fans with Red Jerseys would buy a White Jersey to show up to games in...

PLenf***ingT that is how many.

windycity

Sep 30, 2003
Well duh
Visit site
How many Habs fans with Red Jerseys would buy a White Jersey to show up to games in...

I like it. And invariably some team will eff up and show up at the pre-game skate wearing the wrong jersey for some comedic effect

I completely forgot Dvorak was still on our roster.
So did he

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI

The OHL did this when the Plymouth Whalers played here, and USA Hockey does it now with the two NTDP squads. It's a nice idea.

Reactions: windycity

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Philly embarrassed the Habs in Philly a few months back. The score didn't indicate how one side that game was. Hopefully this isn't the case tonight

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
First game after a Western road trip never go well, so I'm not expecting much from this game.

Good Friday always reminds me of the Good Friday brawl between the Montreal Canadiens and Quebec Nordiques, which was on April 20, 1984. Holy shit! That was 40 f***ing years ago!

Shiiiiiiit! I'm old 😪

Pull up a seat, and listen up you little young shits (I say this with loooove - no I don't. Ha. Ha. Ha.). It was an unbelievable battle that the idiot ref in charge let get completely out of hand. I use the singular because back in those days there was only one moronic ref instead of 2 like today.

This game is not called the Good Friday Massacre for nothing. It went on and on, over multiple periods (2nd & 3rd), fight after fight, brother against brother (really the Hunters went at it. We had one. They had one). 11 players were ejected.

After a lot of fights & unsportsmanlike play in the 2nd people, a mini brawl erupted at the end of the 2nd period. In the course of that action Quebec player Louis Sleigher sucker punched pacifist Jean Hamel in the eye knocking him unconscious. Canadiens went nuts.

Several players were being thrown out, but NOBODY told those players. All players, except Hamel, were back on the ice for 3rd period warm-ups. They learned about their penalties from the public address announcement. The players decided since they were being thrown out anyway, they might as well take some revenge, specifically on Sleigher, who the Canadiens players chased down.

Bruce Hood was heavily criticized for his handling of this game, and retired pretty much immediately. Lol

After being down 2-0 early in 3rd, Canadiens scored 5 goals to win 5-2 and clinch the series 4-2.

Steve Penny had a playoff to remember and would take the Canadiens to the Semi-Finals that year.

View attachment 842528

The entire game is on YouTube.

Even the Québec média and Montréal média guy's where going at it in the press box, Villeneuve and Trudel almost got into a fight lol

Bring back the No(e)rds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad