GDT: Game #72: Habs vs Flyers, Thurs. March 28, 7 PM | TSN2, RDS

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
First game after a Western road trip never go well, so I'm not expecting much from this game.

Good Friday always reminds me of the Good Friday brawl between the Montreal Canadiens and Quebec Nordiques, which was on April 20, 1984. Holy shit! That was 40 f***ing years ago!

Shiiiiiiit! I'm old 😪

Pull up a seat, and listen up you little young shits (I say this with loooove - no I don't. Ha. Ha. Ha.). It was an unbelievable battle that the idiot ref in charge let get completely out of hand. I use the singular because back in those days there was only one moronic ref instead of 2 like today.

This game is not called the Good Friday Massacre for nothing. It went on and on, over multiple periods (2nd & 3rd), fight after fight, brother against brother (really the Hunters went at it. We had one. They had one). 11 players were ejected.

After a lot of fights & unsportsmanlike play in the 2nd people, a mini brawl erupted at the end of the 2nd period. In the course of that action Quebec player Louis Sleigher sucker punched pacifist Jean Hamel in the eye knocking him unconscious. Canadiens went nuts.

Several players were being thrown out, but NOBODY told those players. All players, except Hamel, were back on the ice for 3rd period warm-ups. They learned about their penalties from the public address announcement. The players decided since they were being thrown out anyway, they might as well take some revenge, specifically on Sleigher, who the Canadiens players chased down.

Bruce Hood was heavily criticized for his handling of this game, and retired pretty much immediately. Lol

After being down 2-0 early in 3rd, Canadiens scored 5 goals to win 5-2 and clinch the series 4-2.

Steve Penny had a playoff to remember and would take the Canadiens to the Semi-Finals that year.

1000005057.jpg

The entire game is on YouTube.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
First game after a Western road trip never go well, so I'm not expecting much from this game.

Good Friday always reminds me of the Good Friday brawl between the Montreal Canadiens and Quebec Nordiques, which was on April 20, 1984. Holy shit! That was 40 f***ing years ago!

Shiiiiiiit! I'm old 😪

Pull up a seat, and listen up you little young shits (I say this with loooove - no I don't. Ha. Ha. Ha.). It was an unbelievable battle that the idiot ref in charge let get completely out of hand. I use the singular because back in those days there was only one moronic ref instead of 2 like today.

This game is not called the Good Friday Massacre for nothing. It went on and on, over multiple periods (2nd & 3rd), fight after fight, brother against brother (really the Hunters went at it. We had one. They had one). 11 players were ejected.

After a lot of fights & unsportsmanlike play in the 2nd people, a mini brawl erupted at the end of the 2nd period. In the course of that action Quebec player Louis Sleigher sucker punched pacifist Jean Hamel in the eye knocking him unconscious. Canadiens went nuts.

Several players were being thrown out, but NOBODY told those players. All players, except Hamel, were back on the ice for 3rd period warm-ups. They learned about their penalties from the public address announcement. The players decided since they were being thrown out anyway, they might as well take some revenge, specifically on Sleigher, who the Canadiens players chased down.

Bruce Hood was heavily criticized for his handling of this game, and retired pretty much immediately. Lol

After being down 2-0 early in 3rd, Canadiens scored 5 goals to win 5-2 and clinch the series 4-2.

Steve Penny had a playoff to remember and would take the Canadiens to the Semi-Finals that year.

View attachment 842528

The entire game is on YouTube.

And then the kids think I’m hating when I say I find Dvorak and Evans boring…

I am still randomly air-punching to this day ever since that evening.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
So much to love in that video of the 1984 game. Tough, physical and exciting hockey. Playoff team. The Quebec rivalry. No ads everywhere. Not even glass between the penalty boxes. Dick Irvin. Board battles. Icing. Affordable beer. Reasonable ticket prices. Hits. Fights. Illegal sticks. More hits. More fights. Real hockey.

How am I going to watch the ice ballet tonight after watching this.

Last edited:

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
So much to love in that video of the 1984 game. Tough, physical and exciting hockey. Playoff team. The Quebec rivalry. No ads everywhere. Not even glass between the penalty boxes. Dick Irvin. Board battles. Icing. Affordable beer. Reasonable ticket prices. Hits. Fights. Illegal sticks. More hits. More fights. Real hockey.

How am I going to watch the ice ballet tonight after watching this.
Don’t forget the hotdogs.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
"Once We Were Men"

2hrs well spent re-watching that Classic of all Classics in the History that was the Battle of Quebec.
Sheer hatred was spawned between immediate family members in some cases.
Anyone who wonders why we talk about our teams being soft need to watch this game.
It's the fighting through the checks the hooking and the holding I'm referring to not the fisticuffs.

I totally forgot the Mark Hunter knee Injury was in a collision with that POS his brother Dale. :ha:
Mark was never the player we thought he would be after that.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Don’t forget the hotdogs.
I wasn't thinking about Hot Dogs when I watched that.
It was actually thinking about how I missed the simplicity of the scoreboard believe it or not.
Those were the days when the only thing that mattered was the product on the ice.
Not the contrived shit we are inundated with today to take our focus off the product on the ice.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
The Sens passed the Habs in the standings again last night and the Habs players just can't have that happening no sir so expecting a win or at least a loser point tonight.

Whatever the outcome I'm hoping for a really high scoring game with the Habs young guys getting multiple points each.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
And then the kids think I’m hating when I say I find Dvorak and Evans boring…

I am still randomly air-punching to this day ever since that evening.

Dvorak & Evans are boring. Evans is slightly more efficient than Dvorak and also costs a lot less. Dvorak played at replacement level quality this season. He's awful. One more year, and they're both gone.

Reactions: Habs13

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
The Sens passed the Habs in the standings again last night and the Habs players just can't have that happening no sir so expecting a win or at least a loser point tonight.

Whatever the outcome I'm hoping for a really high scoring game with the Habs young guys getting multiple points each.

Ottawa is playing Chicago tonight. I can't see Senators losing to the Hawks. They'll stay ahead.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I wish the NHL would grant Quebec City a franchise so we could have a rivalry again. @MarkovsKnee it was a fun time to be a fan, we were past our dynasty years but we had some tough teams in the 80's and no one in the NHL pushed us around.

Yeah, our 80s team was huge, especially on the backend. And even if they weren't big, they were nasty (Chelios). Up front you had guys like Richer, Smith, McPhee, Skrudland, Nilan, Corson, and Keane, players who ground other teams into dust before scoring on them.

Good news is our D will be big: Guhle, Mailloux, Reinbacher, Xhekaj, are all huge. Struble is nasty.

Forward unit is a work in progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad