GDT: Game #72: Coyotes @ Sharks, 7pm, CSN-CA

pappaf2

Feb 24, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Crazy how ppl are even speculating on Reimer taking the job but jones was maligned from day 1 because he cost a first but has looked better than Reimer in pretty much all technical aspects.

Reimer loses track of the puck, guys. You can see it. His side to side is slower (not by much) than jones and who knows where his rebounds are going to go.

Jones is younger, higher ceiling and less of a fix for coaches. I see two main problems with jones. Not cheating off the post and some adjustment to his overall focus.

No way do I move jones and keep Reimer.
I agree with this. Reimer has been an excellent backup and I'd love it if he resigned with the Sharks for a reasonable price to stay the backup but Jones is and should be the number 1 going forward.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
There's no way Reimer stays after this season. We would have trouble fitting him under the cap and we have people we need to re-sign going into next year that are going to get raises and are much more important. He was brought in as an insurance policy this season for Jones and he's doing a stellar job at that.

Well, I think there's a few reasons he might stay here that I went into in the trade thread for him just now. Not gonna retype it all here (go there if you want to read it, rofl), but I definitely think it's possible he stays, especially if he thinks a much better starter opportunity will open up in the 2017 offseason than the ones that will be available this one. (since I doubt he wants to play behind a dumpster fire again). So, I think it's certainly possible he'll sign a 1 year deal to stay here.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Not next year, but re-imagining if we went with him instead of Jones. We'd still have a 1st for starters.

Look deep into Marty's eyes and tell me again that he is not worth a 1st.

p5369.png

DrFeelgood

Chairman Meow
May 8, 2006
San Jose, CA
Well, I think there's a few reasons he might stay here that I went into in the trade thread for him just now. Not gonna retype it all here (go there if you want to read it, rofl), but I definitely think it's possible he stays, especially if he thinks a much better starter opportunity will open up in the 2017 offseason than the ones that will be available this one. (since I doubt he wants to play behind a dumpster fire again). So, I think it's certainly possible he'll sign a 1 year deal to stay here.

I think he's going to want to go somewhere where he can be a legit #1 starter and I don't think that's going to happen here. If he keeps playing well to close out the season, someone will be willing to give him some good money as well.

Personally, I think we could put our money in better places than on a backup/1B goaltender. I don't want to end up like Dallas and spending a ridiculous amount of money on a goalie tandem though I fully acknowledge that a Jones/Reimer tandem is far superior to Lehtonen/Niemi.

CJL182

Oct 9, 2008
I didn't catch the game, was there any retaliation/antics with Domi?

I didn't notice anything pre-meditated or anything. Burns stood up at our blue line and almost laid a big hit on him, but Domi just barely avoided it.

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
Not that I saw, was anybody expecting it? I wasn't.

Nah not really. Nurse on the other hand...I would like to see something honestly. Sharks need to stand up more for each other when these things actually happen, it's been a problem for a while and the only player to really do it during the Thornton era has been Clowe (plus an occasional scrub/enforcer)

DrFeelgood

Chairman Meow
May 8, 2006
San Jose, CA
Nah not really. Nurse on the other hand...I would like to see something honestly. Sharks need stand up more for each other when these things actually happen, it's been a problem for a while and the only player to really do it during the Thornton era has been Clowe (plus an occasional scrub/enforcer)

I fully expect someone to fight Nurse the next time we play the Oilers. Vlasic's injury didn't seem related to his fight with Domi though so I don't think there was any bad blood there.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Nah not really. Nurse on the other hand...I would like to see something honestly. Sharks need to stand up more for each other when these things actually happen, it's been a problem for a while and the only player to really do it during the Thornton era has been Clowe (plus an occasional scrub/enforcer)

Or they just humiliate the Oilers.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
I think he's going to want to go somewhere where he can be a legit #1 starter and I don't think that's going to happen here. If he keeps playing well to close out the season, someone will be willing to give him some good money as well.

Personally, I think we could put our money in better places than on a backup/1B goaltender. I don't want to end up like Dallas and spending a ridiculous amount of money on a goalie tandem though I fully acknowledge that a Jones/Reimer tandem is far superior to Lehtonen/Niemi.

Oh sure, I would be surprised if he didn't want to go somewhere and be a starter, at least eventually. It's just that he finally got out of being the backstop to a terrible team in a really awful media environment. I am not so sure he is so anxious to be a starter RIGHT NOW that he'd leap at a chance to go back to such a negative situation and play goalie with a dumpster fire in front of him again. I think the main 2 teams that need starters this offseason are Carolina (really bad), and Calgary (bad this year for sure), so neither one promises to be the greatest environment to play in.

I honestly haven't researched what teams are going to likely be looking for a new starter in the 2017 offseason. I am sure he or his representatives have probably looked into that, though. So, if there is a particularly attractive opportunity that looks like it will open up in 2017 and he doesn't like any of the possible starter destinations this offseason, then I think there's a good chance he stays, at least on a 1-season contract.

DrFeelgood

Chairman Meow
May 8, 2006
San Jose, CA
Oh sure, I would be surprised if he didn't want to go somewhere and be a starter, at least eventually. It's just that he finally got out of being the backstop to a terrible team in a really awful media environment. I am not so sure he is so anxious to be a starter RIGHT NOW that he'd leap at a chance to go back to such a negative situation and play goalie with a dumpster fire in front of him again. I think the main 2 teams that need starters this offseason are Carolina (really bad), and Calgary (bad this year for sure).

I honestly haven't researched what teams are going to likely be looking for a new starter in the 2017 offseason. I am sure he or his representatives have probably looked into that, though. So, if there is a particularly attractive opportunity that looks like it will open up in 2017, and he doesn't like any of the possible starter destinations this offseason, then I think there's a good chance he stays, at least on a 1-season contract.

Pretty much anywhere he goes is going to be an upgrade from Toronto, both in terms of the team in front of him and the media. I think that he's smart enough to know that he's not going to face the same scrutiny pretty much everywhere except Toronto. San Jose is definitely the polar opposite in terms of media attention and scrutiny, I don't think he'd be afraid of somewhere like Calgary though and I think that team is going to get better before it gets worse. Calgary and Carolina are really the only places he could step in and be a starter immediately, he'd likely have to compete with someone for the starting job anywhere else, it's definitely not going to be a big market for goalies this offseason.

He would have to take a short term, very team friendly deal to stay here and that's not something i'm really going to get my hopes up over. I don't really see it happening unless he absolutely loves the situation here and is totally cool with being a platoon goalie for another year. Nobody really knows what he wants though as he's been pretty careful to not ruffle anybody's feathers since coming to SJ.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Oh sure, I would be surprised if he didn't want to go somewhere and be a starter, at least eventually. It's just that he finally got out of being the backstop to a terrible team in a really awful media environment. I am not so sure he is so anxious to be a starter RIGHT NOW that he'd leap at a chance to go back to such a negative situation and play goalie with a dumpster fire in front of him again. I think the main 2 teams that need starters this offseason are Carolina (really bad), and Calgary (bad this year for sure), so neither one promises to be the greatest environment to play in.

I honestly haven't researched what teams are going to likely be looking for a new starter in the 2017 offseason. I am sure he or his representatives have probably looked into that, though. So, if there is a particularly attractive opportunity that looks like it will open up in 2017 and he doesn't like any of the possible starter destinations this offseason, then I think there's a good chance he stays, at least on a 1-season contract.

carolina's actually not that bad and he wouldnt be getting shelled at least

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
Because a player who's worth a 1st before the season isn't worth a 4th at the deadline.

Sure, but you never win a Cup if you pay fair value for everything.

Thomas Vanek was moved for a 1st round pick, later in the same year wasn't able to get NYI a 1st.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Why not both?

Because the Oilers are not worth putting in that kind of effort. This team should worry about the two points on the line over getting some pointless revenge against a team that has nothing important to play for as a team. If a playoff team wants to try something like that and get themselves suspended, let them try. If it was a team that mattered, I'm sure the team would respond accordingly...but not the Oilers. They're pathetic.

jwhitesj

Oct 9, 2006
Downtown San Jose
Standings since January 1st, 2016 sorted by Pt's/Game. Sharks have been incredible sine the start of the year, but Ducks have been playing at the same pace as a team that would have reached 124 points. Crazy.

Code:
Team	W	L	OTL	GP	PTS	PTS/G
Ducks	25	7	3	35	53	1.51
Capitals	23	8	3	34	49	1.44
Sharks	23	9	4	36	50	1.39
Lightning	23	10	1	34	47	1.38
Penguins	22	9	4	35	48	1.37
Blues	19	9	5	33	43	1.30
Kings	20	11	3	34	43	1.26
Flyers	19	10	5	34	43	1.26
Rangers	19	11	4	34	42	1.24
Predators	18	10	6	34	42	1.24
Blackhawks	20	12	3	35	43	1.23
Panthers	19	11	5	35	43	1.23
Islanders	17	11	4	32	38	1.19
Red Wings	18	13	4	35	40	1.14
Avalanche	20	15	1	36	41	1.14
Bruins	19	14	4	37	42	1.14
Stars	15	13	6	34	36	1.06
Wild	14	19	5	38	33	0.87

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
Yeah, but that makes perfect sense. His value dropped to a 2nd and a prospect, not a 4th.

Talbot at the draft was worth a 2nd and 3rd.

Reimer would have cost SJ a 2nd for sure in 2015 so that's 39th overall at the time.

Jones for what looks like 21st or 22nd overall in 2016.

We paid ~20 draft spots to get Jones.

Reimer getting a 4th because he's a UFA for one, two there wasn't a big market for goalies like there was in July 2015, isn't that bad. If SJ doesn't trade for Reimer he's more than likely still a Leaf.

Sharksfan83

Jul 27, 2010
Talbot at the draft was worth a 2nd and 3rd.

Reimer would have cost SJ a 2nd for sure in 2015 so that's 39th overall at the time.

Jones for what looks like 21st or 22nd overall in 2016.

We paid ~20 draft spots to get Jones.

Reimer getting a 4th because he's a UFA for one, two there wasn't a big market for goalies like there was in July 2015, isn't that bad. If SJ doesn't trade for Reimer he's more than likely still a Leaf.

I still think the two trades were combined (Polak and Reimer) and it was DW's way of screwing with the media. In my head, I'm going with Reimer cost a 2nd and Polak/Spaling cost a 2nd and a 4th. It makes me feel much better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad