GDT: Game #72: Coyotes @ Sharks, 7pm, CSN-CA

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
You're the only one using unknowns to make their argument. Reimer's been available for years. Heck, he even requested a trade reportedly.

That doesn't make him available. He's been rumored for years, but coming from the Leafs media that's meaningless.

It is entirely possible he hasn't been available, or at least not available for what was considered a reasonable return until this trade deadline when there was no interest and he was about to turn UFA. They clearly thought they had a chance at the playoffs this season and likely thought Reimer could play a part in that or they would have traded him in the off-season. They chose instead to trade him as a rental at the deadline, not generally a good time to trade backup goalies.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
I mean, it's a real stretch to argue that Reimer was not available when the Leafs went out and acquired Bernier with the intention of being a starter. It doesn't mean they'd give him away or they're looking to trade Reimer but available? Yeah, I'd say he was available.

It's also entirely probable they were worried about their goalie position and decided to double down. Twice the odds that one of them would pan out, which ever did not gets traded. As it turned out they both failed to stand out and Reimer got the boot because his contract ran out and he wouldn't re-sign.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
It's also entirely probable they were worried about their goalie position and decided to double down. Twice the odds that one of them would pan out, which ever did not gets traded. As it turned out they both failed to stand out and Reimer got the boot because his contract ran out and he wouldn't re-sign.

Well, I have a hard time buying that that is probable with the elements involved. While I don't doubt that they were worried about the goalie position and hoping one would pan out, it doesn't make Reimer unavailable in that process. It just changes what the price is.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
You can say he was available because of bernier but it's still speculation. It's not fact. He didn't move. Can't even think of a team being rumored looking at him.

Just pure speculation.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Do you really need it to be a fact that he's available for you to allow someone to imagine what it would've been like if we acquired a player and speculate on the cost? Don't you think that's a tad unreasonable for that line of discussion? 99% of the time, it's not a fact that someone is available until after the fact.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
It's just a cheap shot at DW without fact. So in this case I need the facts.

If Toronto said he was available in the summer for a second or something. Sure. I do think jones is better and will be better in the grand scheme though.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
It's just a cheap shot at DW without fact. So in this case I need the facts.

If Toronto said he was available in the summer for a second or something. Sure. I do think jones is better and will be better in the grand scheme though.

So nobody is really available until either it's said publicly or after the fact. I don't think that's a reasonable stance to take on it. I don't disagree that Jones will be better. He's already shown more as a starter than Reimer has.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad