GDT: [Game #70] Dallas Stars vs. Arizona Coyotes – 7:00 PM CT (BSSW)

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
why is it delete worthy? if it doesn't fit your sense of humor, fine, move along, but don't try to make every one else's fit yours.

it's not like this was an endorsement of killing animals or players from their teams. i really don't understand why ppl are up in arms about this.

I mean, 99% of reactions to seeing roadkill aren't AW YEAH f*** THAT ANIMAL CARS RULE.. because that's the sort of shit a sociopath would say. I don't even like the concept of shooting coyotes as a pest animal, though, so maybe I'm weird.

I'm pretty sure is what they were going for... AW YEAH f*** THAT OTHER HOCKEY TEAM STARS RULE, which is fine if you do it with something you can't really feel empathy with... Even Wiley never really dies in the cartoon.

It's not constructive or particularly funny... or really enforcing healthy competitive vibes. Man versus animal... animal does not have a Remington 700 or F-150. Just ACME.

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
I mean, 99% of reactions to seeing roadkill aren't AW YEAH f*** THAT ANIMAL CARS RULE.. because that's the sort of shit a sociopath would say. I don't even like the concept of shooting coyotes as a pest animal, though, so maybe I'm weird.

I'm pretty sure is what they were going for... AW YEAH f*** THAT OTHER HOCKEY TEAM STARS RULE, which is fine if you do it with something you can't really feel empathy with... Even Wiley never really dies in the cartoon.

It's not constructive or particularly funny... or really enforcing healthy competitive vibes. Man versus animal... animal does not have a Remington 700 or F-150. Just ACME.
shrug. i agree with everything you say except i found the poast amusing. (that was a typo i'm leaving bc it should be lexicon.. a post that's a roast)

i do think from a marketing perspective, using ACME/WEC would've been smarter.

Reactions: Satan

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
I never knew so many hockey fans would get pressed over a photo of road kill. Reddit is in full melt down, Twitter is in full melt down, it's crazy.

Was it in poor taste and a little weird? Yeah, maybe. But why can't people look at something that is slightly uncomfortable and move on with their life?

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
I never knew so many hockey fans would get pressed over a photo of road kill. Reddit is in full melt down, Twitter is in full melt down, it's crazy.

Was it in poor taste and a little weird? Yeah, maybe. But why can't people look at something that is slightly uncomfortable and move on with their life?
1711041674660.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Smelling Salt

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven

One of the worst jobs going has to be corporate social media. You're one of the lowest paid people they have, but you're also one of the most public. Your bosses want you to try to be edgy to get reaction, but they'll also immediately fire you if you cross an invisible line a dozen people don't like. It's a job you take knowing you're going to get fired.

Reactions: eartotheground

Frozen Failure

Nov 13, 2007
DFW
I don't even think the line is hard to avoid, its just gearing your thought process to think "could a significant portion of people feel empathy before humor when I make this joke/metaphor/allusion?"

In this case? Yeah I think a lot of people don't find the unfortunate destruction of life to be in good taste...

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
One of the worst jobs going has to be corporate social media. You're one of the lowest paid people they have, but you're also one of the most public. Your bosses want you to try to be edgy to get reaction, but they'll also immediately fire you if you cross an invisible line a dozen people don't like. It's a job you take knowing you're going to get fired.
or they force everything through an approval process, which covers your ass from reactionary firings, but makes your content so dull that no one engages, so you still get fired.

I don't even think the line is hard to avoid, its just gearing your thought process to think "could a significant portion of people feel empathy before humor when I make this joke/metaphor/allusion?"

In this case? Yeah I think a lot of people don't find the unfortunate destruction of life to be in good taste...
if you only use humor that the majority find funny, you won't be very funny. they days of friends being the pinnacle of humor are long gone. if that aired today ppl would think it's the lamest shit ever.

Frozen Failure

Nov 13, 2007
DFW
if you only use humor that the majority find funny, you won't be very funny. they days of friends being the pinnacle of humor are long gone. if that aired today ppl would think it's the lamest shit ever.

No, you'll still be funny but you're going to cut the expected target market down pretty harshly. Why do you think Big Bang has been so successful? Because everyone but nerd/geeks think its hilarious.

And I don't think Big Bang is entirely funny. And Friends is basically just a show about delivery, otherwise its comedy about nothing, like Seinfeld.

Actually, most comedy is mainly about delivery. And sometimes your delivery drops a mangled box on your doorstep.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland

soft generation, only going to get worse

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
I'll cop to witnessing Nils' tentativeness to start things out, but he's not going to show up from the press box. And he's not going to feel better about it from there either.

FreeNills back onto the ice. MakeSuterUsefulAgain.
This is an incredibly late reply, but I think this post hits on something.

Setting aside completely the Nils-Wars as it relates the player himself no matter what your stance, his presence is like a bonus 2-for-1 deal. He turns Suter into a positive contributor, for whatever reason. And since Suter will never be scratched, does it not make sense to get more out of him?

starsfan86

Sep 27, 2006
This is an incredibly late reply, but I think this post hits on something.

Setting aside completely the Nils-Wars as it relates the player himself no matter what your stance, his presence is like a bonus 2-for-1 deal. He turns Suter into a positive contributor, for whatever reason. And since Suter will never be scratched, does it not make sense to get more out of him?
Suter looked great last night indeed.

Reactions: Elysian

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad