Post-Game Talk: Game 70: Bear dances as Bruins beat Islanders 3-1 - California Here We Come!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hooked

Jul 6, 2005
If Krejci is going to go on a streak to get some love from this board, let's hope he does it in May.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011

Yes-at least among hockey writers and talking heads.

Pre season predictions, rate the draft, GMs etc. there was one article that had him and his moves ranked last of the 30 GMs.

And while opinions here on the main board aren't worth much-go read some of those threads about who the bottom 5 teams would be and which teams would make the playoffs and many people had Boston I. The bottom 5 or at least not making playoffs.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Yes , because its totally ok for Krejci to float for two weeks , but not ok for Pasta to miss a few defensive coverages each game while trying to score.

Enjoy the win.
Krejci was younger once upon a time, as was Bergeron, Marchand, chara, Eriksson, seidenberg, etc. And every one of them were short shifted or benched. Missing defensive coverage while trying to score might be exciting but isn't the way to win close hockey games. Watch oilers games and see what talented youngsters who try to get on the high light reels leads to - answer a lot of crappy hockey and players who have never gotten it.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Yes-at least among hockey writers and talking heads.

Pre season predictions, rate the draft, GMs etc. there was one article that had him and his moves ranked last of the 30 GMs.

And while opinions here on the main board aren't worth much-go read some of those threads about who the bottom 5 teams would be and which teams would make the playoffs and many people had Boston I. The bottom 5 or at least not making playoffs.

My favourite pre season prediction talking point was how Bruins vs. Habs wasn't a rivalry anymore because the B's were irrelevant. That and how a few leaf fans chimed in, that they were a better run team.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Enjoy the win.
Krejci was younger once upon a time, as was Bergeron, Marchand, chara, Eriksson, seidenberg, etc. And every one of them were short shifted or benched. Missing defensive coverage while trying to score might be exciting but isn't the way to win close hockey games. Watch oilers games and see what talented youngsters who try to get on the high light reels leads to - answer a lot of crappy hockey and players who have never gotten it.

Not sure what Pasta`s TOI was last night but I agree, by my count, had at least 5/6 turnovers/giveaways and while fans don`t like a kid riding the bench for a few shifts after a mistake especially if a vet often doesn`t, it`s pretty much what every coach in this league does.

A vet will often have a built in forgetter and put the mistake behind him and they "often" won`t make that make the same mistake (insert K Miller jokes here), having a kid sit on the bench, watch the flow of the play, compose themselves is often a good teaching tool. Played Junior B, as far as I got, year one, watched more than my share of games from upstairs or on the bench and for as much as I hated it, I learned a ton and in year two, although I won no scoring titles or was a highly sought after prospect, I fit in and didn`t make those same mistakes nearly as often.

Pasta can be a game changer offensively and that`s great, what CJ is trying to teach him is to NOT be a game changer in the negative sense defensively. Doesn`t mean I would always paste his arse to the bench after every mistake but I didn`t sense he played much less than his linemates last night?

Good solid game, fingers crossed for the Cali trip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCycRhxI0Sk

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
My favourite pre season prediction talking point was how Bruins vs. Habs wasn't a rivalry anymore because the B's were irrelevant. That and how a few leaf fans chimed in, that they were a better run team.

leafs fans are often delusional at the beginning of the season. Of course fans probably thought Babcock would be their savior.

HAbs fans are just insufferable.

I just remember the "predict the bottom five teams" thread and how many people put the Bruins in the bottom 5 (many of them from two fan bases so they may have just been hopeful).

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Enjoy the win.

This. Thankfully Pasta gets it. I like the comments he's made about emulating Krejci and Bergeron and learning to be a complete player. It's hard work, and he knows that and welcomes it. Love that attitude.

njbruin*

Nov 17, 2007
Poor Pasta indeed ;)

That last part was more tongue in cheek.

Krejci is his idol and you can't get a better role model than that.

Role model in learning how to float for large portions of the regular season - no thank you !!. Again most here won't agree but I feel at this point in time Spooner is the #2 center on this team. If I was Donnie at the draft I'd be seeing what kind of Dman we can land for a package surrounding Krejci.

Krejci disappears for large stretches of games and all the fans here do is make excuses for him. Other players have 1 bad shift and they want them sent to teh 9th floor. The love for some players here is ridiculous.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Actually a smart play by Hamonic , if one of our players did it we'd be commending him for not continuing on the "fight".

I will remember this post the next time someone laments the demise of the big, bad Bruins. Good on Chara to intimidate Hamonic. Worth the 2 minutes.

Sounds like some on here don't agree , they were calling for him to be benched in the 1st period. I still think Pasta needs to be on the 3rd with Spoons and Bels , they are wasting his speed playing him with Loui and Krejci.

Pastrnak was a turnover machine early on in the game. I am sure that the coaching staff addressed that during the game. I am happy he scored two goals, but that doesn't mean he was perfect. I say praise what he does well, correct what he does wrong. That's what I expect for all players, more so a 19 yo kid.

Pastrnak is a finisher, he is right where he needs to be with a pass first, smart veteran center like Krejci. Furthermore, if Eriksson is gone at season end, we must give Krejci the best possible outlet for his passes. Seeing that obviously Marchand stays with Bergeron, the next best winger for Krejci is Pastrnak. Seems logic to me.

njbruin*

Nov 17, 2007
I will remember this post the next time someone laments the demise of the big, bad Bruins. Good on Chara to intimidate Hamonic. Worth the 2 minutes.

Pastrnak was a turnover machine early on in the game. I am sure that the coaching staff addressed that during the game. I am happy he scored two goals, but that doesn't mean he was perfect. I say praise what he does well, correct what he does wrong. That's what I expect for all players, more so a 19 yo kid.

Pastrnak is a finisher, he is right where he needs to be with a pass first, smart veteran center like Krejci. Furthermore, if Eriksson is gone at season end, we must give Krejci the best possible outlet for his passes. Seeing that obviously Marchand stays with Bergeron, the next best winger for Krejci is Pastrnak. Seems logic to me.

Chara hitting someone with a glove on isn't intimidating to anyone . Its like when he pushes Gionta or Gallagher around that's not going to deter anyone from taking cheap shots on our players. If he wants to set that precedent then drop the gloves with a heavy or perhaps finish all of his checks like the one on Frans Nielsen yesterday. Chara is obviously someone to be feared when he has his nasty streak going but for this season he may as well have gone on the ice in a Barney costume.

And yes Pasta is a finisher , remove him from yesterday's lineup and who's finishing. Not every player can be a PJ Axellson.

njbruin*

Nov 17, 2007
Seriously now.

For the 20 posters who have challenged me on this , answer this question. Can Krejci skate as fast as Pasta , does he often either lag the play or slow the rush down to fit his style . If you say no - you're flat out lying.

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Role model in learning how to float for large portions of the regular season - no thank you !!. Again most here won't agree but I feel at this point in time Spooner is the #2 center on this team. If I was Donnie at the draft I'd be seeing what kind of Dman we can land for a package surrounding Krejci.

Krejci disappears for large stretches of games and all the fans here do is make excuses for him. Other players have 1 bad shift and they want them sent to teh 9th floor. The love for some players here is ridiculous.

Krejci has always been like that. Yet he was able, TWICE, to step up and lead the entire NHL in the playoffs: those time we got a Cup and got close to another one. When in 09-10 he was taken out by Richards in the Philly series where he was utterly dominating, we lost 4 straight games.

At 30, I still think he has it in the tank to be able to step up like that (I guess management feels the same, if they gave him the highest contract on the Bruins). The guy had a first 30-35 games where he was DOMINANT, substantially above ppg. He still has the 2nd best ppg ratio of everyone on the Bruins.

He is one of the most important players on the Bruins and that's a fact.

Chara hitting someone with a glove on isn't intimidating to anyone . Its like when he pushes Gionta or Gallagher around that's not going to deter anyone from taking cheap shots on our players. If he wants to set that precedent then drop the gloves with a heavy or perhaps finish all of his checks like the one on Frans Nielsen yesterday. Chara is obviously someone to be feared when he has his nasty streak going but for this season he may as well have gone on the ice in a Barney costume.

And yes Pasta is a finisher , remove him from yesterday's lineup and who's finishing. Not every player can be a PJ Axellson.

Ask yourself... If you were a player, would you risk getting Chara's nasty streak going? If Chara was coming towards you, would you feel OK engaging him in a fight? If the answer is no, then nothing has changed from this point of view (and that's what I think it's the case. I think that if Chara decides to lay a hand on someone, pity that guy...). If the answer is yes and you can skate, 29 teams in the NHL have a contract for you.

About Pasta... Being a finisher doesn't magically exonerate him or anyone else to play smart hockey.

njbruin*

Nov 17, 2007
Krejci has always been like that. Yet he was able, TWICE, to step up and lead the entire NHL in the playoffs: those time we got a Cup and got close to another one. When in 09-10 he was taken out by Richards in the Philly series where he was utterly dominating, we lost 4 straight games.

At 30, I still think he has it in the tank to be able to step up like that (I guess management feels the same, if they gave him the highest contract on the Bruins). The guy had a first 30-35 games where he was DOMINANT, substantially above ppg. He still has the 2nd best ppg ratio of everyone on the Bruins.

He is one of the most important players on the Bruins and that's a fact.

Ask yourself... If you were a player, would you risk getting Chara's nasty streak going? If Chara was coming towards you, would you feel OK engaging him in a fight? If the answer is no, then nothing has changed from this point of view (and that's what I think it's the case. I think that if Chara decides to lay a hand on someone, pity that guy...). If the answer is yes and you can skate, 29 teams in the NHL have a contract for you.

About Pasta... Being a finisher doesn't magically exonerate him or anyone else to play smart hockey.

But the issue in't whether Chara when so inclined can beat someone in a fight. The issue is does Chara's "intimidation" and "toughness" prevent opponents from taking liberties with the rest of the team - the resounding answer is NO.

Again never stated Pasta shouldn't learn to play smart hockey, I'm just saying he shouldn't be penalized for bringing something to the team that's otherwise lacking - its very similiar to the Morrow/Cmiller situations.

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston
For the 20 posters who have challenged me on this , answer this question. Can Krejci skate as fast as Pasta , does he often either lag the play or slow the rush down to fit his style . If you say no - you're flat out lying.

Slower players don't by definition drag down faster players. Krejci is slower than Pastrnak, but he's not dragging him down just like Lucic didn't drag down Krejci or Spooner, Savard didn't drag down Kessel and Bergeron doesn't drag down Marchand (although those two are probably pretty close in speed).

When Pastrnak, Krejci and Loui are playing well, nobody is dragging each other down.

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland

Pasta is faster on a straight line than Krejci, but this isn't speed skating at the Olympics, nor the skills competition at the All Star Game.

In my opinion, pure speed is mostly important in odd man rushes. Besides the fact that I think Krejci can hold his own in this situation speed-wise (he might not be Larkin, but he is not Chara either. Mid of the pack, if you ask me), how many odd man rushes per game one has on average? I think last night the count was 5-0 in favor of the Bruins. How many of those featured Krejci and Pastrnak? 1? None? Who knows, but still not such an important aspect, IMO.

More important is having a pure goal scorer coupled with a great passer. That is Pastrnak and Krejci.

njbruin*

Nov 17, 2007
Pasta is faster on a straight line than Krejci, but this isn't speed skating at the Olympics, nor the skills competition at the All Star Game.

In my opinion, pure speed is mostly important in odd man rushes. Besides the fact that I think Krejci can hold his own in this situation speed-wise (he might not be Larkin, but he is not Chara either. Mid of the pack, if you ask me), how many odd man rushes per game one has on average? I think last night the count was 5-0 in favor of the Bruins. How many of those featured Krejci and Pastrnak? 1? None? Who knows, but still not such an important aspect, IMO.

More important is having a pure goal scorer coupled with a great passer. That is Pastrnak and Krejci.

Your right I forgot this is the Bruins we don't care about odd man rushes as long as we don't give one up the other way.

Its fairly obvious they don't practice them very much as in the occasions when they get one they treat them like a penalty kill.

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
But the issue in't whether Chara when so inclined can beat someone in a fight. The issue is does Chara's "intimidation" and "toughness" prevent opponents from taking liberties with the rest of the team - the resounding answer is NO.

Again never stated Pasta shouldn't learn to play smart hockey, I'm just saying he shouldn't be penalized for bringing something to the team that's otherwise lacking - its very similiar to the Morrow/Cmiller situations.

The issue is that ONLY Chara has an intimidating presence. We don't have the Lucic's and Thornton's we used to have.
Re toughness, do I prefer a team with Chara and no one else able to intimidate anyone on the other team OR no one at all? I say the former. And ideally I would like more playerS that can respond physically.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus

You can't be serious.

Nothing personal here, but I always thought you loathed Julien because you prefer fire-wagon, offensive hockey. But from these comments, it's becoming clear that you just don't comprehend what goes into a successful hockey team. Playing all offense, at 100 mph, all the time, is not the way to win. Maybe that's the way it's done in video games? I wouldn't know, but that's the only explanation for that outlook that I can think of.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA

Krejci CAN skate well and play a quicker game, it just isn't his style and he prefers slowing the game down.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you have never played or coached a game of organized hockey in your life. The relative speed between a playmaker with Krejci's skill and a shoot first finisher like Pastrnak matters about as much as comparing their shoe sizes. Unless you think Bergeron is holding back Marchand, or Savard held back Kessel? Because neither of those centers were winning any speed contest.

njbruin*

Nov 17, 2007
You can't be serious.

Nothing personal here, but I always thought you loathed Julien because you prefer fire-wagon, offensive hockey. But from these comments, it's becoming clear that you just don't comprehend what goes into a successful hockey team. Playing all offense, at 100 mph, all the time, is not the way to win. Maybe that's they way it's done in video games? I wouldn't know, but that's the only explanation for that outlook that I can think of.

Where am I saying play all offense at 100 mph . My main complaint still is that Pasta should be playing on a line with Spooner and Beleskey to better utilize his speed. Playing him with Krejci neutralizes his best quality right now. I don't see how that is so outlandish. But I guess I should learn , anything that questions Julien's tactics will draw criticism on this board.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
You can't be serious.

Nothing personal here, but I always thought you loathed Julien because you prefer fire-wagon, offensive hockey. But from these comments, it's becoming clear that you just don't comprehend what goes into a successful hockey team. Playing all offense, at 100 mph, all the time, is not the way to win. Maybe that's the way it's done in video games? I wouldn't know, but that's the only explanation for that outlook that I can think of.

I believe you may be on to something. It's really the only explanation. :shakehead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad