PGT: Game 7: Switzerland 2 - Canada 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I am Swiss-Italian (from Lugano. The border with Italy, depending which one - is no more away than 10 miles or so) and yes, food here is bombastic.

Those fondues are not cheese based, but meat based. In Switzerland it's the classic holiday food (we eat that at Christmas, for example).

EDIT: here's a pic of my city... and one of my favorite player ever to play for the local hockey team....

View attachment 169629

View attachment 169631

wow, I could easily live there, what a gorgeous spot.

Reactions: BruinLVGA

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
Not bait, it's TRUE. You only call foul on the negative crap when it isnt your team doing it. Diving is dog doo doo BUT suddenly its necessary and part of the game when it's your captain. Hahaha

I agree that the diving and defense of it is pathetic, but its not like Canadian fans are the only ones who can be hypocritical.

I clearly remember how "irrelevant" women's Olympic hockey was to Americans back in '02, '06, '10, and '14. And how they were saying that nobody cares about it in the US.

Well, their opinions certainly changed very suddenly in 2018....

4thlineduster

Jan 6, 2012
Comtois is drawing penalties.

These are international games and teams have done the same thing to us for decades.
And us not doing it is what made us better than them.

At the end of the day, it didn’t even benefit the team as the American ref almost instantly made a make up call. Further, Comtois actually hit his face on the boards.....last thing we need is him hurting himself to sell something.

This nonsense by Comtois is just that....nonsense. Strip his C if that’s the game he wants to play as that’s not leadership.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
It’s too bad that him wearing the C is embarrassing for you. I really don’t know how a 19 year old kid can embarrass you but to each their own.

The game isn’t what it once was, guys will dive and have no problem doing it because it helps the team. When watching it live, I didn’t think he dove but instead was cross checked and a penalty was deserving. Once seeing the replays, it’s obvious he went down easier than he should have but with all the replays and different angles, it’s easier to see these things then ever before.

How many of the beloved Canadian hockey players, that came before him dove in their careers but were never caught due to lack of resources available to people? I’m guessing a lot. As we’re all aware, the game is ever evolving. The days of guys battling and not diving (I’d tell you this has always happened) are going away, the players are changing as the game changes. As a result, we won’t see as many guys that are “tough as nails” and play like the guys from the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s... it’s just where the game is headed. Embellishment is going to continue to be a big part of the game, as special teams are valued as much as ever before, guys will do what needs to be done to gain that advantage, it’s just sort of the way it is now.

A 19 year old kid being the captain of team Canada and diving against inferior opponents is embarrassing in the sense that it isnt what Canadian hockey is about. You defending it is embarrassing as well. The game isnt what it once was? Sure, but divers are still ridiculed. I'm sure there are plenty of Canadians who have dove in the past and they were ridiculed as well, not many divers ever wore the C for team Canada though and more Canadian players didnt dive than did.

You can be fine with the game going the way of soccer if you want, and fine with players diving but I highly doubt most Canadian hockey fans are.

I dont care if its the way it is now, blatant dives from the Captain of a team leading 8-0 is the epitome of poor sportsmanship.

Reactions: TB12

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Canadians won by one goal lmao...

Yep, Swiss played well and Canada was lazy for the most part. That is a normal thing after blowing a team out of the water while playing at half speed for 2 periods.

The swiss are always good to give us a scare and a W. Team Canada will be better for it.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
But what about Canada vs Swiss in food:
Poutine >>>>>>>>>> Fondue.

Canadian women: Elisha Cuthbert & Kandyse McClure vs Swiss Women: Sandra Hess & Michelle Hunziker.

Canadian Comedians: Mike Myers, Dan Aykroyd, Seth Rogen, Johny Candy, Eugene Levy, Will Sasso, Catherine O'Hara, Jim Carey, Tom Green, Leslie Nielsen, Norm MacDonald, Russell Peters, Martin Short, Phil Hartmann, Tommy Chong, Dave Foley, Harland Williams vs Swiss Comedians: ...

Video games:
Canada has Ubifsoft & Bioware.
Swiss: ?

Swiss has good chocolate, they win that for sure.

Ubisoft is French, Bioware got bought by EA and EA did to them what they do to every video game studio they buy.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Ubisoft is French, Bioware got bought by EA and EA did to them what they do to every video game studio they buy.
Yeah the main company was founded in france but its sub companies are outside france & the Montreal based Ubisoft-Montreal makes their bests games & with mostly Canadian voice actors.
Ubisoft Montreal - Wikipedia
Also Eidos Montreal makes the New Tomb Raider & Deus Ex games for Square Enix & now working on an untitled Avengers game.

Canuckroyal

Dec 28, 2018
Diving is lame. I like Rugby's method of dealing with it. Issue a penalty to the offender and mic the Referee up and have him ridicule the player over the stadium loudspeaker.

Nigel Owens does it best:

"This is not Soccer"
"The Football Stadium is 500 yards over there"
"You can come back in two weeks if you are going to play like that" (alluding to playing for the local football club)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad