Post-Game Talk: Game 68: Marchand wins it on OT - BRUINS 1 Lightning 0 F/OT

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012
I must admit i wasn't looking forward to playoffs with this team but now after the chicago,Washington series and now this road trip I'm FEELIN IT!

GO BRUINS GO

Sure we did get 7 out of 8 points against the very best teams of the league, but ...

Chicago was playing their 2nd of a b2b, as was Washington (they even played their 4th in 5 games).
We pissed away a 4-1 against Florida. Wouldn't have mattered if it had not been a division rival, but it did.
And a lucky OT win against Tampa.

Color me pessimistic, but those 4 games don't tell the truth. Just like some horrid stretch doesn't tell the truth.

This team is indeed better than I would of expected like 4 months ago, but I don't think we do much damage in the playoffs.
I do see us winning the first round if we do not end up in a WC-spot though.

BostonPC

Bleed Black & Gold
Dec 3, 2005
Woburn, MA
Sure we did get 7 out of 8 points against the very best teams of the league, but ...

Chicago was playing their 2nd of a b2b, as was Washington (they even played their 4th in 5 games).
We pissed away a 4-1 against Florida. Wouldn't have mattered if it had not been a division rival, but it did.

Color me pessimistic, but those 4 games don't tell the truth. Just like some horrid stretch doesn't tell the truth.

This team is indeed better than I would of expected like 4 months ago, but I don't think we do much damage in the playoffs.

This team is not as good as their record over the last week shows.... I agree... They are playing better for longer stretches and finding ways to win or at least move the game into overtime. Can they do damage in the playoffs? I am not sure yet. I really like their momentum at a time when a lot of teams would just be making excuses for losing.

The games are the games. Playing back to backs happen to all teams. It is what you do with them that counts... They are starting to gel and that could go a long way in the playoffs. I still think they are a little weak on defense but I am not one thinking that they are doomed. I am just tring to enjoy the ride.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Blackhawks lose second game of a back-to-back: no big deal for the Bruins because the Hawks were tired.

Bruins lose second game of a back-to-back: No excuses!!!!

:laugh:

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad

I have to agree with ninety percent of this. We are playing better but we got a lot of schedule breaks. I like how you said a horrid stretch doesn't tell the real truth either.

The only part I differ with is I really think the playoffs are almost a total crapshoot in the east except Washington . I can see us winning or losing a 1st rd to tbay florida or even Pittsburgh. People are going to say we own pitt but to me they played real well against us last game without malkin and tuukka stoned them. I would be a little disappointed if we get Detroit and don't advance. So these would basically be my east percentages to lose against the bruins----Detroit 64, forida 56 Pittsburgh 54 nyi 51 nyr 46 tbay 45 Washington 33 .

here is some current odds

caps +145 tbay +650 nyr 700 nyi 700 florida 750 boston 750 pitt 1000 Detroit 1500

Notice how close the teams are two through six

Last edited:

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Blackhawks lose second game of a back-to-back: no big deal for the Bruins because the Hawks were tired.

Folks are just never happy. Imagine if instead of tied first in the Division, we were 20 points out of the playoffs: we would be probably looking at Mad Max times in here... :laugh:

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012

To me it is an excuse.

Spare me the condescending "laugh".

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
To me it is an excuse.

Spare me the condescending "laugh".

Excuse? Explaining away that Chicago lost because it was on the 2nd half of a back-to-back and dumping on Boston for the same is a classic example of this:

A double standard is the application of different sets of principles for similar situations. A double standard may take the form of an instance in which certain concepts (often, for example, a word, phrase, social norm, or rule) are perceived as acceptable to be applied by one group of people, but are considered unacceptable—taboo—when applied by another group.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_standard

And I laugh because it's predictable, hence it's funny.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Vs Chicago: 27 shots
Vs Capitals: 30 shots (we had 34)

The only brain fart was vs Florida, where after a dominating 4-1 period, they probably thought it was in the bag already. Big mistake. The Panthers played like... lions and the Bruins couldn't just readjust. I hope we learned a lesson.

Last night... Lots of shots against, but the quality of chances was overall low (we had the best chances)... Then, when one considers 4 PP to none in favor of the Lightning (it is outrageous how they didn't whistle even one lousy penalty against Tampa. They were allowed carte blanche, pretty much), all of a sudden those 42 shots don't mean that much.

I'm sure those 4 posts they hit weren't quality chances...

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Excuse? Explaining away that Chicago lost because it was on the 2nd half of a back-to-back and dumping on Boston for the same is a classic example of this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_standard

And I laugh because it's predictable, hence it's funny.

I'm sure if the Bruins had lost yesterday, it would just be dismissed as no big deal, seeing as though we were playing our backup at the time.

Right?

Right?

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
I'm sure if the Bruins had lost yesterday, it would just be dismissed as no big deal, seeing as though we were playing our backup at the time.

Right?

Right?

Of course! Just like when they lose the 2nd of a back-to-back. It's all yawns, shrugs and back to the needlepoint around here.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The view from Tampa Bay

Times

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hock...uins-in-overtime-teams-tied-for-first/2268529

"That was a good hockey game," Lightning coach Jon Cooper said. "For two teams that both played (Monday) night, it was up and down, bodies slammed all over the place, there was compete. Both goalies played extremely well.

"It was probably fitting it went down to the end the way it did. It was great to see. We got that in us. I wasn't too worried about that."

In addition to Gustavsson, Tampa Bay went 0-for-4 on the power play, including a critical one with 9:31 in the third. The Lightning got off some good shots but couldn't get past Gustavsson.

"He was perfect," Tampa Bay's Brian Boyle said. "It's tough to beat that. He had some big saves on redirects. We hit three or four posts. He covers a lot of net. You have to give him a lot of credit. He was really good for them."

Tribune

Tampa Bay had its franchise-record, nine-game winning streak snapped in a 4-2 loss at Philadelphia on Monday, a game in which the Lightning were outplayed in nearly every facet. Through two periods, Tampa Bay had just eight shots on goal. The Flyers had 22 shots in the second period alone.

After the game, Tampa Bay head coach Jon Cooper mentioned the team’s battle level: “If you’re not going to compete and you’re not going to execute, you’re not going to win.’’

The next night, the Lightning played with intensity, even if the effort did not provide the desired result in a 1-0 overtime loss to the Bruins after Tampa Bay registered a season-high 42 shots on goal.

“We played a lot better than we did (Monday) and put ourselves in a good position to win the game,’’ defenseman Victor Hedman said.

Though though they did not get the victory, it was important for the psyche of the team to play the right way. And sometimes, that’s what the coaching staff looks for to see if the process is there, even if the result does not come from it.

“I thought they gave a heck of an effort,’’ Cooper said. “It was a little bit of a test for our team to see how we were going to respond after a really disappointing effort the night before. And I thought we responded extremely well.’’

The last time Tampa Bay went through a similar situation, the response was not quite the same.

Tampa Bay had won 10 of 11 games before putting in a putrid effort in Ottawa that ended the surge. That was followed by a few more disappointing showings as the Lightning lost four of five, with only a last-minute goal from Steven Stamkos on Feb. 12 against Nashville preventing a five-game losing streak.

That bump in the road knocked Tampa Bay from second place in the Atlantic Division to outside the playoff picture.

That’s why the response against Boston was important. Another prolonged stretch of losses could do the same, even as the Lightning sit in first place in the division. Tampa Bay and Boston are tied with 83 points each, but the Lightning have a game in hand.

- See more at: http://www.tbo.com/sports/lightning...against-boston-20160309/#sthash.pdwbE0BY.dpuf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad