GDT: Game 66 - Winnipeg Jets @ Florida Panthers - Saturday, March 11th, 2023 - 6:00pm CST - Sportsnet West/SN360/CITY-TV - CJOB/Power 97

Status
Not open for further replies.

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
The Winnipeg Jets head south for a back-to-back set of games against teams in the Sunshine State. Tonight, they face former Winnipeg Head Coach Paul Maurice and the Florida Panthers at 6:00pm at FLA Live Arena. The Jets are coming off of a 4-2 loss at the hands of division rival Minnesota Wild and are sitting at 36-26-3 on the season and a paltry 2-6-2 in their last ten games. Meanwhile, the Panthers played last night against the Chicago Blackhawks and won 4-3 in overtime and now have a season record of 32-27-6 and are 6-4-0 in their last ten games. Can Bones outcoach PoMo, or does PoMo have some MoJo over JoMo in some promo about SlowMo? Will Chef and KFC cook up some magic or will Tree have to fall again to take out key players? Will @Jets 31 be able to dance after the game, and will @macmaroon even be awake for the final buzzer? The answers to these questions and more will be ridiculed this evening.

miami-city-1024x683.jpg

The Panthers are Miami's team even though they may play out of Sunrise, but what do we really know about this south Florida city. Well, I'm glad you asked as it is the topic of the latest in the never ending series I like to call...

Learnding with Mac.jpg

Miami owes its name to the Mayaimi tribe that lived in the area surrounding Lake Okeechobee, Florida's inland lake, until the 17th or 18th century. Mayaimi meant "big water." Also, during the early years of Miami's development, the city was known as "Biscayne Bay Country."

5-Mayami-canoe.jpg

One of Miami's many fascinating historical facts is that it was founded by Julia Tuttle, also known as the city's mother. Julia relocated to what is now Miami in 1891 and purchased a square mile of land. She then persuaded railroad president Henry Flager to extend the train to her land's site. Once completed, the ground on which she lived became suitable for creating a large urban settlement, and the construction of Miami began. In fact, Miami is the only city in the United States founded by a woman.

julia-tuttle-mother-of-miami.jpg

Miami Beach's Art Deco Historic District in South Beach has approximately 800 art deco-style buildings in less than one square mile and houses the world's largest concentration of art deco buildings. One of the most visited attractions in the city, take a walk in South Beach and admire the white buildings with pastel tones that decore its streets. Some of these buildings are home to iconic hotels and restaurants.

miami-facts-GettyImages-1197522429.jpg

Feel like sailing to a Caribbean destination with heavenly beaches? Then Miami is the perfect departure spot. The Port of Miami is the world's largest and busiest cruise ship port. About five million passengers yearly sail through this port, where you will find world-renowned cruise lines like Royal Caribbean, Carnival, Norwegian, Virgin, and many more. The second and third busiest cruise ports are also located in Florida in Port Canaveral and Port Everglades, about an hour from Miami.

miami-facts-GettyImages-555108303.jpg

Miami’s beautiful sunsets, calm breezes and delightfully warm waters sure are magical but they’re not entirely the reason why they call Miami the “Magic City.” In fact, it’s got more to do with the city’s spectacular growth. In the early years of the city, while it was still only a village, construction was so fast and so prominent it made Miami skip the status of “town” and directly reach the status of “city.” So while Rome wasn’t built on a day, as they say, the city of Miami sort of sprang up overnight!

9780738543680.jpeg

Miami is a popular recreational diving destination. Due to the tens of shipwrecks found in the waters, it's gained the name the "Wreckcreational" diving capital. Miami has ideal diving conditions, with clear and warm waters. Along with the over 50 fascinating shipwrecks to spot, there are beautiful wildlife-filled reefs to explore.

miami-facts-GettyImages-1314142797.jpg

James McLamore and David Edgerton founded the first Insta-Burger King (now known as Burger King) at 3090 N.W. 36th St. in Miami almost 70 years ago, on December 4, 1954. Insta-Burger King was created in 1953 in Jacksonville, Florida, and later the name was changed. The company famous for its delicious Whopper is still headquartered in Miami.

htmiamiburgerkingkb1408264x3992*1200xx992-558-0-93.jpg

I guess it would be no surprise to anyone to find out that sun tan lotion was invented in Miami. A pharmacist called Benjamin Green invented the mixture in 1944. Green was serving as an airman back then and wanted to create something to protect him and his friends of getting sunburnt.

Benjamin Green.png

Dreaming about stretching out and sunning yourself on Miami Beach’s vast sandy stretches? Well, that sand isn’t exactly homegrown. Local authorities import some of it from the Caribbean, likely from the Bahamas. In 2017, authorities managed to save a strip of the shoreline from erosion by pouring 285,412 tons of sand on Mid-Beach. It cost Florida approximately $11.5 million.

miami-beach-is-man-made.jpg

You won’t find any basements in Miami. And most of Florida, for that matter. If you start digging into the ground, you’ll find water everywhere. Miami’s buildings don’t have basements because the land is just about 6-9 ft. (1.82-2.74 m) above the sea level.

images

In the whole of Miami’s official meteorological history, it has only ever snowed once. The occasion took place over 45 years ago too, in January 1977. The flakes started falling in Broward and Miami-Dade at 08:00 and people reported flurries as far south as Homestead. For the most part, the snow melted as it touched the ground. Temperatures reached a frosty 47 F (8 C) degrees. Before that, the southernmost point to snow was Fort Myers in 1899. The 1977 snow caused over $300 million in agricultural damage. I actually remember that...

7b5dfe72-0c44-42dc-9148-3b8a2dbb8580-large16x9_1977snowcar.jpg

Miami is bookended by two national parks – Biscayne National Park and Everglades National Park. It’s the only city in the United States to be squeezed between two national reserves. Additionally, the city boasts over 800 parks of its own. David T. Kennedy, Matheson Hammock Park and Crandon Park are three of the most popular.

two-famous-national-parks-surround-miami.jpg

Popularly known as the Ancient Spanish Monastery, the Church of St. Bernard of Clairvaux in North Miami Beach is actually a Spanish monastery built in 1141. Originally built in Spain, this building is almost 800 years older than the Magic City. In 1925, William Randolph Hearst purchased the monastery and shipped it to Miami. The monastery was rebuilt in 1964 and has been resting in its current location ever since.

spanishmonastery.webp

Feel like running? Join Robert Kraft. Better known among his disciples as “Raven”, the local running legend started a peculiar tradition. On January 1st, 1975, he decided to commit to running 8 miles per day on Miami Beach – every day for a year. Today, over 45 years later, he’s still doing it. In fact, the Raven hasn’t missed a single day since then. Even COVID-19 hasn’t stopped him to run in 2020, and he’s close to his 130,000th mile in September.

04raven_run_1231_CPJ-CPJ.JPG

Miami was a popular spot for pirates. This is surely one of the most interesting facts about Miami. Famous pirates, including Blackbeard, Gasparilla, and Jean Lafitte often visited Miami’s shoreline to bury their treasures. This fact is confirmed by tourists and locals alike who’ve discovered everything from gold and silver to trinkets and jewelry both underwater and underground.

blackbeard-2-gettyimages-588889795.jpg

Winnipeg needs to have an “ins-pirate-ional” game tonight or I will go p-irate! Go Jets Go! :hockey:

Thanks to: https://oceandrive.com/facts-about-miami, https://www.enjoytravel.com/en/travel-news/interesting-facts/interesting-facts-miami, 38 Amazing fun facts about Miami, Florida - BeeLoved City, 44 Fun and Interesting Facts About Miami You’ll Love, and 7 Interesting Facts About Miami’s History You (Probably) Didn’t Know Already

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Thanks @macmaroon !

Another tour de force.

good-show-hand-shake.gif

To the game at hand. All this fizzling and spluttering, lack of W's, its fine for a while...

L27tdNMYTGTv.gif

Lets try to win this one Jets:

Calgary left the door open
FLA's beat Chicago last night, so they might be tired.

Helly, Shuffles, Ehlers, KFC - we are of one mind, you need to come up big.

strangelove-jack-ripper.gif

Expectations are high (IMHO). This paltry band of fans needs a win.

Bring it, send it, whip it

giphy.gif

do what is necessary.

200w.gif

:jets:jets:jets:jets:jets

Last edited:

kanadalainen

Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
tattooed-shakespeare-mathew-mcfarren.jpg

Let me offer that our Jets must play the team game,
Yo! Our undivided loves are one:
So shall recent loss that do with me remain
Now simplify thy pass, sally forth, hold the zone.
In Barkov, Verhaeghe, and Ekblad there lies some respect,
Though Gudas, Bob and the Tkachuk often bite,
Those swamp kittens bear the name Gobshyte Befeck’d,
Yet they wield few things from Helly's delight.
I may not loudly sing thy praise ye Jets on hand,
Lest my hopeful emotes should do thee shame,
But thou with public excellence would honour this HF band,
Unless thou take that honour from thy name:
But do not so; I love thee in this quicken’d sport
Slough off thy recent slagging and show us a good retort.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Are we in the playoffs or are we not in the playoffs? We'll have the answer tonight!*

*answer subject to change on a game by game basis

Lol this is good.

Well due to our precipitous fall from grace we are kind of in the poor man’s playoffs as we speak.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
If the Jets were still performing like they were in the early season, I would have drove down to Miami to take in this game. It's 7 hours round trip and I just don't feel confident about this team right now - at least enough to invest that time.

I do feel like they're going to have a good effort and win, hopefully if the real Helle shows up

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
Well the Flamers laid an egg against the hapless Ducks LOL

Lets build this cushion here you magets!

Is it the Jets or Coaching with these Jets? Hmmm

A say a little of both here

1678547972496.gif

1678548081507.gif

WE better get 2 BLOODY POINTS the Blue Baron already has game 1 locked up in Round 1 of the playoffs!

OR…

1678548197797.gif

1678548287080.gif

FAWK Tkrapchuk and the Panthers

GO JET GO
:jets:jets:jets:jets:jets

Last edited:

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
If the Jets were still performing like they were in the early season, I would have drove down to Miami to take in this game. It's 7 hours round trip and I just don't feel confident about this team right now - at least enough to invest that time.

I do feel like they're going to have a good effort and win, hopefully if the real Helle shows up
Oh just go anyways and don’t be a…

1678548597143.jpeg

You can still make it if you leave now!
What are tickets? $10 friggin dollars? Same cost to see Jets as it is to go to my friends Social tonight. LOL

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Well the Flamers laid an egg against the hapless Ducks LOL

Lets build this cushion here you magets!
I'll repeat my earlier hand-wringing: I'm not the least concerned about the Flames but I am worried that the Preds are going to catch us. I think April 8 will determine who gets in and who curses all summer.

Oh just go anyways and don’t be a…

View attachment 667045

You can still make it if you leave now!
What are tickets? $10 friggin dollars? Same cost to see Jets as it is to go to my friends Social tonight. LOL
It's not the ten bucks for the ticket. It's the seven hour drive. Plus gas is no cheaper in Florida than it is here.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I'll repeat my earlier hand-wringing: I'm not the least concerned about the Flames but I am worried that the Preds are going to catch us. I think April 8 will determine who gets in and who curses all summer.

It's not the ten bucks for the ticket. It's the seven hour drive. Plus gas is no cheaper in Florida than it is here.
Yeah it's really the time, about 110 cdn for gas so not so cheap.

I may go to the lighting game but tickets aren't cheap (they're not terrible)

Reactions: Ginger Papa

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
What a big night! We could either be over the moon or angsty as ever!

I pick option a!

Honestly, I feel like it’s more a blindfolded pin the tail on the donkey type approach.

Reactions: Jet

kanadalainen

Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
@macmaroon said - "Can Bones outcoach PoMo, or does PoMo have some MoJo over JoMo in some promo about SlowMo?"

batman-thinking.gif

Hm..

king-kong.gif

Ode to Sum Jolly MoFo's

RickBo has his HandsFo
In Miamo -
Is it Fullspo or Nogo?
Only Jomo has the lowdo..

PoMo pomades his Noggo
Licks his fingers
The crowd goes Nutso, but
Helly controls the showho