GDT: Game 65 - Minnesota Wild @ Winnipeg Jets - Wednesday, March 8th, 2023 - 6:30pm - Sportsnet - CJOB/Power 97

Status
Not open for further replies.

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
Tonight the Winnipeg Jets face the Minnesota Wild in a tilt of Central Division Rivals. The Wild have won both previous games, 6-1 and 4-1, and are looking for the sweep, while the Jets hope to catch a tired Minnesota squad after their 1-0 overtime loss against the Calgary Flames last night. After the 3-2 overtime loss to the San Jose Sharks on Monday, the Jets are 36-25-3 on the year and are in a funk with a disappointing 2-6-2 record in their last ten games. The Wild, on the other hand, are going in the right direction and are 36-21-7 on the season and are an impressive 8-0-2 in their last ten games. Will Blake Wheeler learn not to ice the puck in the last minute of the game, or will Coach Bowness put him out anyways hoping for an empty-netter? Can Kyle Connor get that monkey off of his back and get back to scoring goals, or will Adam Lowry have to show him how it's done? With @sipowicz making an appearance during the last Jets game, will others who have been MIA show up as well? These questions are mostly rhetorical in nature, but may be answered during tonight's match...

593fd4190f46a1aada2673cab54d6b744960777c_17.jpg

After Kevin Cheveldayoff mistakenly thanked the fans of Minneapolis for their hospitality during Winnipeg 2.0's first draft, it was clear that the city of St. Paul plays second fiddle in the Twin Cities, and that doesn't seem fair, does it? Well, I'm here to set the record straight in the latest instalment of...

Learnding with Mac.jpg

The city was originally called the Pig’s Eye or Pig’s Eye Landing due to the one-eyed settler Pierre Parrant who set up his famous tavern called the Pig’s Eye near present-day Lambert’s Landing. The community and area quickly became an important trading center and destination for settlers heading west.

According to “A History of the City of Saint Paul” By John Fletcher Williams (published in 1847) one of the first settlements in the St. Paul, MN area was located at Fountain Cave, alongside the Mississippi River (not far from where current day Shepard Road and Randolph Ave intersect).

Pierre “Pig’s Eye” Parrant, a retired fur trader and person of dubious reputation, built the area’s first structure known as the “whiskey seller’s cabin” at the mouth of this cave in 1838. The cave had a very clear, cold stream flowing out of it and into the river.

Parrant was a coarse, ill-looking, low-browed fellow with one good eye. His bad eye had a sinister white ring around the pupil, giving it a kind of piggish expression to his features and he became known as “Pig’s Eye”.

“Pig’s Eye” snuck over territory lines and found this rather convenient spot from which he could sell bootleg whisky to soldiers and Indians without “the pale of law”. In 1838, Parrant erected a cabin at the mouth of the cave to sell liquor from. Locals called the area “Pig’s Eye Landing” based on Parrant’s popular tavern.

His “Pig’s Eye Tavern” flourished, but in 1840 he was evicted by soldiers from nearby Fort Snelling. In 1849, the Minnesota Territory was formalized and shortly thereafter, the areas known as “Pig’s Eye Landing” was renamed to Saint Paul.

After Pig’s Eye’s eviction from this area in 1840, the cave was used as a storehouse and then as a tourist attraction from 1850-1880. As the cave’s popularity increased a pavilion was opened nearby in 1852, which offered refreshments and lights for exploring the cave.

In the late 1800’s, sewage and storm water were discharged through the cave by a railroad facility, reducing the cave’s value as a tourist attraction. Nearby residential development altered the area’s hydrology by filling the wetlands and slowing the flow of Fountain Creek into the cave. Finally, in 1960, the cave’s entrance was buried during the construction of Shepard Road.

The only visible reminder of Pig’s Eye Landing is a roadside marker alongside Shepard Road, about 1/4 mile southwest of the intersection of Randolph and Shepard Road.

Pierre_Parrant.jpg

In 1851, Joe Rolette was elected to the Minnesota Territorial Legislature and served four terms. It was from his time in the legislature that the best-known story about him originates. A bill making St. Peter the capital of Minnesota was about to be enacted and, as he was chairman of the enrollment committee, bills of this nature had to pass through him. Rolette took physical possession of the document and disappeared for the rest of the session, not returning until it was too late to pass any more bills. St. Peter did not become the capital and it ended up in St. Paul where it remains today. According to the story, he spent the week away from the legislature drinking and playing poker in a hotel room with some friends. According to other versions of the story, the "hotel room" was actually a brothel...

Joseph_Rolette_c1841.jpg

One of the more shocking St. Paul facts is that during the Prohibition era, the city was a sanctuary for criminals. With the concentration of local organized crime activity growing so much, it got the name “crooks haven.”

The system was only possible due to an unofficial agreement between the then chief of police and the gangsters—they were allowed to roam freely as long as they refrained from causing trouble. This went on until 1936 when the hunt for gangsters in the Midwest came to a close.

wanted-poster_379.jpg

St. Paul is home to Summit Avenue, the country's longest preserved avenue of Victorian houses and buildings. The street is lined with giant, Gilded Age homes, including 36,000-square-foot mansion of James J. Hill, who was once the richest man in Minnesota.

saint-paul-Summit-Aveune-Mansions-Walking-Tour-map.jpg

Treasure Island Center is home to Minnesota Wild’s new practice facility and a 100-foot hockey mural—the world’s largest. The inspiration for creating it was two-fold. The goal for the project was to remove a significant amount of brick throughout the building, reserving a small portion to pay tribute to its history. The cost of converting the parking ramp into an open-air concept proved too costly with significant modifications needed on both the interior and exterior.

The second objective was to make a statement about what Treasure Island Center and TRIA Rink are all about. “If Minnesota is going to continue to be known as the State of Hockey, the game needs to appeal to a wider audience from youth and high school to college and professional teams. Our goal for Treasure Island Center, and more specifically TRIA Rink, is for the outside of the building to match what is happening on the inside,” says Krueger.

He adds, “We want the mural to be about the kids, the State of Hockey and the economic driver the sport is to the City of Saint Paul.”

Mural-V2-LOW-RES.png

Need more mural St. Paul facts? Marvel at the world’s largest Lite Brite mural designed by Aiken housed at the Union Depot. The Guinness World Record-holding piece features at least 596,000 Lite Brite pegs.

lite-brite.jpg

Beloved cartoonist Charles M. Schulz, creator of the iconic comic strip Peanuts, grew up in Saint Paul and lived in the Merriam Park neighborhood from infancy until 1960. His childhood home still stands today, a testament to the city's influence on the beloved cartoonist.

Charles-Schulz-Snoopy-drawing-Peanuts-1995.jpg

@SUX2BU, I mean Bill Murray is part-owner of the St. Paul Saints, and can often be seen at games. The Saints' website calls him the "Team Psychologist," and describe his primary duties as consisting of "morale boosting and train spotting."

maxresdefault.jpg

Come on guys, quit “Linus” around and score some goals! Go Jets Go! :hockey:

Thanks to: Life In Minnesota 31 Fascinating St. Paul Facts https://www.lifeinminnesota.com/st-paul-facts/, Pierre "Pig's Eye" Parrant - One of the First St. Paul Settlers - Minnesota Fun Facts, World Record for the City of Saint Paul, Fun Facts & Famous Folks | Visit Saint Paul, 10 fun and interesting Saint Paul facts and 25 Things You Should Know About Minneapolis and St. Paul

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Thanks @macmaroon ! Another beauty - interesting stuff re: BIll Murray. Perhaps @SUX2BU may also share an interest in trainspotting?

i-just-want-to-sink-falling.gif

Speaking of tough gigs, our dear Jets will have their hands full tonight. A solid pummeling of the Wild is not too much to ask is it? While their goaltending has been hot, they dinnae score many goals. However that team often goes to OT and is very tenacious on team D.

I always get the butterflies on game day.

robert-carlyle-jonny-lee-miller.gif

GJG - let the ressurection begin.

spongebob-squarepants-spongebob.gif

cat-revives.gif

:jets:jets:jets:jets:jets

Last edited:

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
tattooed-shakespeare-mathew-mcfarren.jpg

Not Bones, nor the gilded lines Bones-made
Shall outlive this powerful rhyme;
But Hell Boy shall shine more bright than St Paul's shade
Than Wild adorned and besmear'd with sluttish time.
When wasteful war Coach Creed conspires,
And goals shoot out from the work of Apples,
For Schuffle’s slot shot and the first line’s rapid fire
To squeeze the living hell from Wildish crapple.
'Gainst death and all-oblivious enmity
Shall our D pace forth; this board’s praise shall find room
And Aye, even the eyes of Minny
Witness our game to their ending doom.
So, till the judgment of this evening's furious game,
Live in the moment and hang heavy Wild's shame.

Last edited:

SUX2BU

User of registers
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
Thanks @macmaroon ! Another beauty - interesting stuff re: BIll Murray. Perhaps @SUX2BU may also share an interest in trainspotting?

i-just-want-to-sink-falling.gif

Speaking of tough gigs, our dear Jets will have their hands full tonight. A solid pummeling of the Wild is not too much to ask is it? While their goaltending has been hot, they dinnae score many goals. However that team often goes to OT and is very tenacious on team D.

I always get the butterflies on game day.

trainspotting-spud-trainspotting.gif

GJG - let the ressurection begin.

spongebob-squarepants-spongebob.gif

cat-revives.gif

:jets:jets:jets:jets:jets

The only trainspotting I do is "oh look, a train" and then I sit at Bishop Grandin for 20 minutes ..... :laugh:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I'm pretty happy to see the 27 55 62 line, I was hoping for that.

Maybe putting 81 with 80 will get KFC scoring again.

I was however hoping to see 36 on 2 26 on 3 and 22 on 4

As for tree in for Samberg - as much as I don't like it I'm sure we'll be seeing those two rotate the rest of the season so it is what it is.

Let's hope Stanley can be physical without taking dumb penalties.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'm pretty happy to see the 27 55 62 line, I was hoping for that.

Maybe putting 81 with 80 will get KFC scoring again.

I was however hoping to see 36 on 2 26 on 3 and 22 on 4

As for tree in for Samberg - as much as I don't like it I'm sure we'll be seeing those two rotate the rest of the season so it is what it is.

Let's hope Stanley can be physical without taking dumb penalties.

I am hoping 81 ans 80.can get each other going.

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
thanks Mac

Keep it simple tonight, boys

Shoot and get people to the front of the net, good things happen this way

armia.gif
Wow, is this clip ever a metaphor for how so many people approach life.

Other than the Wild possibly being tired after last night's scoreless marathon, I don't think we have a lot going for us tonight. And sitting out Samberg in favour of the slow, tall guy isn't going to help.

Then again, after the second Edmonton game and the Sharks slump, perhaps we need a superior team to bring out a better effort on our part. Or perhaps just wishful thinking on my part. Been doing a lot of that lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad