GDT: Game 64 - San Jose Sharks @ Winnipeg Jets - Monday, March 6th, 2023 - 6:30pm CST - Sportsnet One - CJOB/Power 97

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
Tonight, the Winnipeg Jets take on the San Jose Sharks at Canada Life Centre with an early start time of 6:30pm. The Jets are coming off of a real 1980s retro barnburner as they beat the visiting Edmonton Oilers 7-5, upping their record to 36-25-2 on the season and 3-6-1 in their last ten games. The Sharks got bitten by the Washington Capitals in their last game 8-3 and are now 18-33-12 on the season and 2-7-1 in their last ten game. Can El Nino and Names help Winnipeg turn the tide on their recent poor record, or does San Jose come in and surprise the “Hometown” favourites and “fin”ish with a win. Will the “Search for @sipowicz ” continue or will we just have to admit he's MIA? And finally...

I had a Great Aunt who lived in San Jose, but like most of you, I don't know anything about the Capital of Silicon Valley until now. Yes, you guessed it, it's time for another instalment of...

Learnding with Mac.jpg

The Muwekma Ohlone — the Tamyen people — were the original inhabitants of what is now San Jose. They were hunter-gatherers who switched to an agrarian way of life after Spanish settlers arrived. Tamyen is also the name of the language they spoke, with several villages that used this language situated along San Jose’s Coyote Creek.

06f55853-d4fc-408c-8abb-49c9d8049730-AP99110902268_1.jpg

Founded on November 29, 1777, El Pueblo de San Jose de Guadalupe was California’s first civilian settlement. It was named after Saint Joseph and the nearby Guadalupe River. It wasn’t until March 27, 1850 that it was incorporated as the City of San Jose. On April 3, 1979, the city declared that San José — with an accent mark — was its official name. That's interesting, eh...

guadalupe2.jpg

San Jose was established as an agricultural center for the Spanish colony of Nueva California, later called Alta California. Settlers were given animals, seeds, farm implements, and a $10 monthly stipend. The city was in agriculture for over 150 years, and grew food for the military in San Francisco and Monterey. Prunes, grapes, apricots, pears, and peaches were among the fruits grown in San Jose, and the city also was the site of the first commercial broccoli fields. I hate broccoli...

sanjosefarming.jpg

San Jose was California’s first city. It was also the state capital from 1849 to 1852. The Capitol was a small, two-story adobe hotel. The Assembly resided on the upper floor and the Senate on the lower. San Jose also hosted the first and second sessions of the California Legislature, in 1850 and 1851, respectively.

29673.68312.jpg

The Ohlone used cinnabar for red pigment, and used it in trade. They introduced it to the Spanish, who recognized it as a source of mercury (quicksilver), the metal used to extract gold from ore. This led to mining at what is known as the New Almaden Mine, named after Spain’s Almaden mercury mine (almaden means “the mine” in Spanish). It remains the oldest and most productive mercury mine in the country.

OBGuadMerc1.jpg

When thousands flocked to California for the Gold Rush (which started in 1848), San Jose served as a supply station for miners. As mentioned above, the city’s New Almaden mine also provided mercury, which was an important part of the Gold Rush as it was used to extract gold from ore.

Gold.GIF

Since so much fruit was grown in San Jose, it is only natural that the canning industry flourished here. This began in 1871, and by the 1920s and ‘30s, there were 18 canneries, 12 fresh-fruit and vegetable shipping firms, and 13 dried-fruit packing houses in San Jose. A byproduct of this was that Herbert Gray of San Jose’s Barron-Gray Packing Company was credited with the invention of the fruit cocktail in 1930. This “new” Fruit Cocktail was released under the Del Monte name in 1938.

SJM-L-PIZARRO-COL-0514-01.jpeg

After losing both her infant daughter and her Winchester rifle manufacturer husband, Connecticut native Sarah Winchester was told by a medium that her loved ones’ untimely deaths were caused by spirits killed by Winchester rifles and she might be next. Her solution: Move west and keep up continuous construction on a home for the spirits. She started building in 1884 and went nonstop through her death in 1922. The Winchester Mystery House which has 950 doors, 10,000 windows, 40 stairways, 47 fireplaces, six kitchens, and "miles of twisting hallways," opened to the public in 1932. It is a designated California historical landmark and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It is privately owned and serves as a tourist attraction.

winchester-mystery-house.jpg

Current San Jose laws limit owners to five licensed animals total—and no more than three dogs. Yes, two dogs and three cats is okay, five cats are fine, but don’t dare break the law with two dogs and four cats.

49178426766_d9cfdf7c90_b.jpg

The 930-square foot Monopoly game board opened in Discovery Meadow in 2002 is the only officially licensed life-sized board in the world, and San Jose’s only Guinness Book of World Records attraction. Families can rent out the board to play for a $300 fee, which includes a game referee “specially trained to run a giant-sized Monopoly game” and “make sure you have fun.” I wonder if there is a McDonald's nearby...

20140623__monopoly1.jpg

For eight years in a row beginning in 2007, San Jose resident Joey Chestnut won the Fourth of July Nathan’s Hot Dog Eating Contest at New York City’s Coney Island—until 2015, when downing 60 dogs in 10 minutes just didn’t cut the mustard. He was edged out by 23-year-old Matt Stonie who ate 62 … and also hails from San Jose. Geez, I have trouble just eating one...

20080704__WEBHOTDOG2.jpg

The Wave was created by “Krazy” George Henderson, a San Jose State cheerleader. The first documented use of the Wave was during his cheerleading routine on October 15, 1981, while at a nationally televised Oakland AthleticsAmerican League Championship Series game against the New York Yankees. Henderson says that the Wave was originally inspired by accident when he was leading cheers at a Colorado RockiesNational Hockey League game at McNichols Sports Arena in Denver, Colorado in 1980. He continued working on leading the Wave at an NHL game at Northlands Coliseum in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada the same year, where Edmonton Oilers star Wayne Gretzky met George in the post-game locker room and invited Henderson to dinner.

At the Colorado Rockies game in late 1980, there was a delayed response from one section of fans, leading to them jumping to their feet a few seconds later than the section beside them. The next section of fans followed suit, and the first Wave circled McNichols Sports Arena of its own accord.The A's/Yankees game combined a full stadium with an energetic crowd, the ideal situation for a Wave. After a few false starts, the crowd understood what Henderson was trying to accomplish, and the Wave circled the Oakland Coliseum, followed by several others during the game.

By “George” let's get “Krazy” and beat these Baby Sharks tonight! Go Jets Go! :hockey:

Thanks to: 10 Things You Didn't Know About San Jose, Interesting facts about San Jose | Just Fun Facts, 10 Fun San Jose Facts: How Well Do You Know Your City? and 25 Things You Should Know About San Jose

Last edited:

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Tonight, the Winnipeg Jets take on the San Jose Sharks at Canada Life Centre with an early start time of 6:30pm. The Jets are coming off of a real 1980s retro barnburner as they beat the visiting Edmonton Oilers 7-5, upping their record to 36-25-2 on the season and 3-6-1 in their last ten games. The Sharks got bitten by the Washington Capitals in their last game 8-3 and are now 18-33-12 on the season and 2-7-1 in their last ten game. Can El Nino and Names help Winnipeg turn the tide on their recent poor record, or does San Jose come in and surprise the “Hometown” favourites and “fin”ish with a win. Will the “Search for @sipowicz ” continue or will we just have to admit he's MIA? And finally...

I had a Great Aunt who lived in San Jose, but like most of you, I don't know anything about the Capital of Silicon Valley until now. Yes, you guessed it, it's time for another instalment of...

View attachment 664039

The Muwekma Ohlone — the Tamyen people — were the original inhabitants of what is now San Jose. They were hunter-gatherers who switched to an agrarian way of life after Spanish settlers arrived. Tamyen is also the name of the language they spoke, with several villages that used this language situated along San Jose’s Coyote Creek.

06f55853-d4fc-408c-8abb-49c9d8049730-AP99110902268_1.jpg

Founded on November 29, 1777, El Pueblo de San Jose de Guadalupe was California’s first civilian settlement. It was named after Saint Joseph and the nearby Guadalupe River. It wasn’t until March 27, 1850 that it was incorporated as the City of San Jose. On April 3, 1979, the city declared that San José — with an accent mark — was its official name. That's interesting, eh...

guadalupe2.jpg

San Jose was established as an agricultural center for the Spanish colony of Nueva California, later called Alta California. Settlers were given animals, seeds, farm implements, and a $10 monthly stipend. The city was in agriculture for over 150 years, and grew food for the military in San Francisco and Monterey. Prunes, grapes, apricots, pears, and peaches were among the fruits grown in San Jose, and the city also was the site of the first commercial broccoli fields. I hate broccoli...

sanjosefarming.jpg

San Jose was California’s first city. It was also the state capital from 1849 to 1852. The Capitol was a small, two-story adobe hotel. The Assembly resided on the upper floor and the Senate on the lower. San Jose also hosted the first and second sessions of the California Legislature, in 1850 and 1851, respectively.

29673.68312.jpg

The Ohlone used cinnabar for red pigment, and used it in trade. They introduced it to the Spanish, who recognized it as a source of mercury (quicksilver), the metal used to extract gold from ore. This led to mining at what is known as the New Almaden Mine, named after Spain’s Almaden mercury mine (almaden means “the mine” in Spanish). It remains the oldest and most productive mercury mine in the country.

OBGuadMerc1.jpg

When thousands flocked to California for the Gold Rush (which started in 1848), San Jose served as a supply station for miners. As mentioned above, the city’s New Almaden mine also provided mercury, which was an important part of the Gold Rush as it was used to extract gold from ore.

Gold.GIF

Since so much fruit was grown in San Jose, it is only natural that the canning industry flourished here. This began in 1871, and by the 1920s and ‘30s, there were 18 canneries, 12 fresh-fruit and vegetable shipping firms, and 13 dried-fruit packing houses in San Jose. A byproduct of this was that Herbert Gray of San Jose’s Barron-Gray Packing Company was credited with the invention of the fruit cocktail in 1930. This “new” Fruit Cocktail was released under the Del Monte name in 1938.

SJM-L-PIZARRO-COL-0514-01.jpeg

After losing both her infant daughter and her Winchester rifle manufacturer husband, Connecticut native Sarah Winchester was told by a medium that her loved ones’ untimely deaths were caused by spirits killed by Winchester rifles and she might be next. Her solution: Move west and keep up continuous construction on a home for the spirits. She started building in 1884 and went nonstop through her death in 1922. The Winchester Mystery House which has 950 doors, 10,000 windows, 40 stairways, 47 fireplaces, six kitchens, and "miles of twisting hallways," opened to the public in 1932. It is a designated California historical landmark and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It is privately owned and serves as a tourist attraction.

winchester-mystery-house.jpg

Current San Jose laws limit owners to five licensed animals total—and no more than three dogs. Yes, two dogs and three cats is okay, five cats are fine, but don’t dare break the law with two dogs and four cats.

49178426766_d9cfdf7c90_b.jpg

The 930-square foot Monopoly game board opened in Discovery Meadow in 2002 is the only officially licensed life-sized board in the world, and San Jose’s only Guinness Book of World Records attraction. Families can rent out the board to play for a $300 fee, which includes a game referee “specially trained to run a giant-sized Monopoly game” and “make sure you have fun.” I wonder if there is a McDonald's nearby...

20140623__monopoly1.jpg

For eight years in a row beginning in 2007, San Jose resident Joey Chestnut won the Fourth of July Nathan’s Hot Dog Eating Contest at New York City’s Coney Island—until 2015, when downing 60 dogs in 10 minutes just didn’t cut the mustard. He was edged out by 23-year-old Matt Stonie who ate 62 … and also hails from San Jose. Geez, I have trouble just eating one...

20080704__WEBHOTDOG2.jpg

The Wave was created by “Krazy” George Henderson, a San Jose State cheerleader. The first documented use of the Wave was during his cheerleading routine on October 15, 1981, while at a nationally televised Oakland AthleticsAmerican League Championship Series game against the New York Yankees. Henderson says that the Wave was originally inspired by accident when he was leading cheers at a Colorado RockiesNational Hockey League game at McNichols Sports Arena in Denver, Colorado in 1980. He continued working on leading the Wave at an NHL game at Northlands Coliseum in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada the same year, where Edmonton Oilers star Wayne Gretzky met George in the post-game locker room and invited Henderson to dinner.

At the Colorado Rockies game in late 1980, there was a delayed response from one section of fans, leading to them jumping to their feet a few seconds later than the section beside them. The next section of fans followed suit, and the first Wave circled McNichols Sports Arena of its own accord.The A's/Yankees game combined a full stadium with an energetic crowd, the ideal situation for a Wave. After a few false starts, the crowd understood what Henderson was trying to accomplish, and the Wave circled the Oakland Coliseum, followed by several others during the game.

By “George” let's get “Krazy” and beat these Baby Sharks tonight! Go Jets Go! :hockey:

Thanks to: 10 Things You Didn't Know About San Jose, Interesting facts about San Jose | Just Fun Facts, 10 Fun San Jose Facts: How Well Do You Know Your City? and 25 Things You Should Know About San Jose

Your “Learnding with Mac“ Series is so good @macmaroon . Thank you again for providing entertaining yet informative content here. IMHO, you walk in the footsteps of @Zhamnov5GoalGame , @Mud Turtle & @AlphaLackey for original, creative GDT’s since I arrived here on HF Jets. A great run. Hopefully the Boys can match your effort.

Let’s beat the Sharks tonight:

510AD781-8C9C-4633-B94D-DFC74858ACB0.jpeg

7BE05F91-7E02-405D-B848-C4A022E59FFF.jpeg
F559FA9B-DD5A-43AC-A245-51412F4D8847.jpeg

And some more silliness for good luck and health tonight
242E1103-18DA-4718-AEB4-B8505C20E3D2.jpeg

73481204-6B1A-404D-91A9-AF9371F42C15.jpeg
01426155-E392-4035-BD89-1B720D795198.jpeg
8EF025F0-393E-4EB0-B181-122D4512DF1A.png

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Up early to get things done for My clients...

Will the 1st half of season Winnipeg Jets show up again... roll up their sleeves and get to the job done... ?

Will the Jets hit the road early, work hard and roll to victory...

I just hope they find a way to escape this schnied... chums...

giphy.gif

Go Jets Go !!!

.....//.:jets

Last edited:

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Thanks @macmaroon. San Jose is a remarkable and interesting locale with a rich and diverse history. Thus, its the perfect time to smash their hockey team. Time to whale on the Sharks, crush them and drive them before us, in abject terror, etc.

conan-julia-childs-crush-your-enemies.gif

BTW my director has a behaviour pattern with many similarities to crazy George. :) Never a dull moment.

In the immortal words of Chance Gardener:

26hskd.jpg

Oh, and about all this losing nonsense?

not-anymore-not-anymure.gif

GJG

Last edited:

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
ca20a4b6058305a7834f13e64a8c84f1_w200.gif

**Witness this Jets squadron, of such mass and charge,
Led by a savage and determined 4 lines sent.
Whose spirit, with divine ambition puffed,
May shut down the offence at this Sharkish event.
Exposing what is mortal and unsure
About Karlsson, Hertl and imagined danger spent,
Forever we shall pummel these betank’d curs.
Namestnikov and Neidereitter will score without argument.
Yo Jets, shall you not score with mad abandon?
And Lurch, might thou quarrel without thine glove?
When honour's at the stake, with San Jose a-shamble.
How stand we – destroyers of popcorn much loved,
When Hell Boy prys the Shark’s jaws akimbo,
Adding to game-time confusion for these teal-clad bimbos?

Aye

When, in the passage of CST time I forsee
The mood of San Jose’s denizens fraught,
Grumbling, raging; despair on their sleeves,
They’ll have given their best for naught.

**(heavily adapted soliloquy today, no sonnets, my apologies)

Last edited:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I think I am going to start rivaling Kanadalainen with poem writing, using Chat GPT built into the new Bing:

write me a poem about a dog who plays hockey but has to take a regular job because he got a girl dog pregnant

Here is a poem I wrote for you:

He was a dog who loved to skate And chase the puck across the ice He dreamed of playing in the NHL And scoring goals with skill and grace

But then he met a girl dog who Stole his heart with her sweet smile They had a night of passion and She told him she was having his child

He had to make a choice then Between his dream and his new family He chose to be a responsible dad And gave up hockey for a job in a factory

He still watches the games on TV And sometimes feels a pang of regret But then he sees his girl dog and his pup And knows he made the best decision yet

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Rare = almost never. Plenty of variability in these timelines.

Recovery ≠ return to sport ≠ "just as good as before, right away."
@Jet: I know you're not his doctor, but what do you think the chances are of him fully recovering from this?

High. Timelines always unpredictable and sometimes a modest followup procedure might be required to relieve pain and/or enhance range of motion. I expect we'll hear more in the exits / offseason.

Thanks @macmaroon for another All-Star GDT!b There really should be sitewide awards and honours for the quality and invention you and your merry band supply game after game. Truly outstanding.

Oh, and win another one, you Pack of Wolves!

1678115379738.png

Last edited:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Live up-close look at Timo Meier.... Oh wait. :sarcasm:

this team is Erik Karlsson and that's it. +29 points on the 2nd Sharks player, as a Dman? ridiculous.

the Jets should win pretty convincingly. hoping Saturday's break-out in goals continues. it really should vs the Shark's league-worst goaltending.

Last edited:

SUX2BU

User of registers
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
thanks Mac

This will put a spring in your step ........ :laugh: (A personal favourite of @kanadalainen ) (sorry, man but that size 13 shoe coming at me warrants this ......)

Here's the lyrics ......... :sarcasm:

Baby Shark Baby shark, doo doo doo doo doo doo. Baby shark, doo doo doo doo doo doo. Baby shark, doo doo doo doo doo doo. Baby shark! Mommy shark, doo doo doo doo doo doo. Mommy shark, doo doo doo doo doo doo. Mommy shark, doo doo doo doo doo doo. Mommy shark! Daddy shark, doo doo doo doo doo doo. Daddy shark, doo doo doo doo doo doo. Daddy shark, doo doo doo doo doo doo. Daddy shark! Grandma shark, doo doo doo doo doo doo. Grandma shark, doo doo doo doo doo doo. Grandma shark, doo doo doo doo doo doo. Grandma shark! Grandpa shark, doo doo doo doo doo doo. Grandpa shark, doo doo doo doo doo doo. Grandpa shark, doo doo doo doo doo doo. Grandpa shark! Let’s go hunt, doo doo doo doo doo doo. Let’s go hunt, doo doo doo doo doo doo. Let’s go hunt, doo doo doo doo doo doo. Let’s go hunt! Run away, doo doo doo doo doo doo. Run away, doo doo doo doo doo doo. Run away, doo doo doo doo doo doo. Run away! Safe at last, doo doo doo doo doo doo. Safe at last, doo doo doo doo doo doo. Safe at last, doo doo doo doo doo doo. Safe at last! It’s the end, doo doo doo doo doo doo. It’s the end, doo doo doo doo doo doo. It’s the end, doo doo doo doo doo doo. It’s the end!

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
I'm always worried when someone says "The Jets should win pretty convincingly".

But we will win, right?

Standing at the bus stop this morning at -19C, the only thing that warmed my little toes was the thought of us beating San Jose and getting back into the top 3 on the wild card list. If we build off the energy and speed of the Edmonton game, it should be no problem to beat a team that low in the standings. Right?

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Your “Learnding with Mac“ Series is so good @macmaroon . Thank you again for providing entertaining yet informative content here. IMHO, you walk in the footsteps of @Zhamnov5GoalGame , @Mud Turtle & @AlphaLackey for original, creative GDT’s since I arrived here on HF Jets. A great run. Hopefully the Boys can match your effort.

Let’s beat the Sharks tonight:

View attachment 664088

View attachment 664079View attachment 664080

And some more silliness for good luck and health tonight
View attachment 664071

View attachment 664072View attachment 664073View attachment 664078
You had me at the woman beating off the shark.

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
thanks Mac

This will put a spring in your step ........ :laugh: (A personal favourite of @kanadalainen ) (sorry, man but that size 13 shoe coming at me warrants this ......)

Here's the lyrics ......... :sarcasm:

Baby Shark Baby shark, doo doo doo doo doo doo. Baby shark, doo doo doo doo doo doo. Baby shark, doo doo doo doo doo doo. Baby shark! Mommy shark, doo doo doo doo doo doo. Mommy shark, doo doo doo doo doo doo. Mommy shark, doo doo doo doo doo doo. Mommy shark! Daddy shark, doo doo doo doo doo doo. Daddy shark, doo doo doo doo doo doo. Daddy shark, doo doo doo doo doo doo. Daddy shark! Grandma shark, doo doo doo doo doo doo. Grandma shark, doo doo doo doo doo doo. Grandma shark, doo doo doo doo doo doo. Grandma shark! Grandpa shark, doo doo doo doo doo doo. Grandpa shark, doo doo doo doo doo doo. Grandpa shark, doo doo doo doo doo doo. Grandpa shark! Let’s go hunt, doo doo doo doo doo doo. Let’s go hunt, doo doo doo doo doo doo. Let’s go hunt, doo doo doo doo doo doo. Let’s go hunt! Run away, doo doo doo doo doo doo. Run away, doo doo doo doo doo doo. Run away, doo doo doo doo doo doo. Run away! Safe at last, doo doo doo doo doo doo. Safe at last, doo doo doo doo doo doo. Safe at last, doo doo doo doo doo doo. Safe at last! It’s the end, doo doo doo doo doo doo. It’s the end, doo doo doo doo doo doo. It’s the end, doo doo doo doo doo doo. It’s the end!

You are too late, I've already been singing this song since Saturday night...o_O:tmi:

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
I'm always worried when someone says "The Jets should win pretty convincingly".

But we will win, right?

Standing at the bus stop this morning at -19C, the only thing that warmed my little toes was the thought of us beating San Jose and getting back into the top 3 on the wild card list. If we build off the energy and speed of the Edmonton game, it should be no problem to beat a team that low in the standings. Right?
Yeah, right. A lot of teams have lost while thinking that way.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Live up-close look at Timo Meier.... Oh wait. :sarcasm:

this team is Erik Karlsson and that's it. +29 points on the 2nd Sharks player, as a Dman? ridiculous.

the Jets should win pretty convincingly. hoping Saturday's break-out in goals continues. it really should vs the Shark's league-worst goaltending.

Man, have a Schmaltz in there, a healthy Perfetti and I'd be happy come playoff time.

Shame Chevy had no faith :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad