GDT: Game 62: Seattle @ Columbus | Welcome Back Bjorky | 7 PM EST

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
Except they're not landing perfectly - they've been off by a couple of inches or up to a feet in this game and in other games too. He needs to hit those perfectly, Laine is often a static target so no reason not to get that pass perfect. But I do agree Boqvist has been good and certainly the best one we've got for the position on PP right now.

I agree it's not perfect. Maybe Jiricek will be.

It was really refreshing seeing Laine pick short side and leaving no chance for any goalie with that shot. It looked like he's back. Last few games stats suggest he's healthy and starting to get the shot on track.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Just finished watching as I’d recorded the game. Gosh do I miss Bjorkstrand. Nice pass on the PP goal.

I agree with those saying that Boqvist is showing real improvement - especially distinguishing himself offensively. He has separated himself from Peeke, Gud, Bean, and even Blanks and of course from Berni and Bayreuther. Jarmo’s number job in the off season is to get a LD with some size and defensive skill. (And when I say size, I’m not looking for Gud part 2).

And those wanting to dump Laine…..yes he can be frustrating, but he contributes points and is t the defensive hack many accuse him of being. His defensive liability actually centers around the OMG turnovers he makes. I’ll argue with anyone who labels him a one trick pony. Yes he’s probably overpaid - many say that yet I read people wanting Kevin Hayes at over $7M

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
“It’s always special,” Wennberg said. “Right now it feels like Columbus is a team I score against, and it’s especially sweet because there’s been a lot of talk that I don’t really shoot the puck and score. I guess it’s a little fun I have when I play this team now.”

“I look at (the Blue Jackets’ roster now), and (captain) Boone (Jenner) is probably the last one standing,” Wennberg said. “(Zach) Werenski is still here, but he wasn’t out there tonight (due to injury).

“You look back now, and I’ve been in the league nine years now. There aren’t many guys there from when I started or really when I left, and it’s only been three years. It’s insane.”

“There’s something special about this place,” Wennberg said. “I’m so grateful for everything. Coming from Sweden to Ohio (in 2013), I didn’t know much, but now looking back there are so many good things about Ohio that I miss now.

“There were some things here that weren’t great, but I look back and have great memories. I loved it here.”

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
K Patrik Laine. I don't know if his critics have noticed, he hasn't been static on PP for a long time. Unless someone has that kind of shot it's normal for a team to try to take advantage of it. In game (s). Turnovers have been reduced and the number of passes in transition has increased. You can also compare his play on defense... . And one more thing. He is the main player in the Johnson -- Roslovic -- Laine line. He wins battles at the boards, has started to use his size, makes plays on partners, etc. It's just the shooting percentage... .

To the roster. This game illustrated how important Sean Kuraly is as a player. Defensive, for/bachecking, tough, loan game., PK... . Although Robinson and Olivier played well, it's not the same without Sean.

I'm more and more impressed with Adam Boqvist's play. Passing, shooting, radically improved defense, PP. I hope he can stay healthy. Unfortunately, with the return of Werenski Zach is back in the 1st PP Unit.

Erik Gudbranson is playing great. One important thing to remember, many players take a while to get going.

Kent Johnson needs to radically improve his strength, have more muscle.

I feel sorry for Cole Sillinger. He's finally improved (I don't mean skating), but I have a feeling he wouldn't score even to the soccer net. But his grit, aggressiveness are great.

What happen with Gaudreau -- Jenner -- Marchenko line? Have the last two games been exceptions or something else? Well we'll see today (tomorrow for me) in Ottawa. Although I like the Sillinger -- Marchenko line more.

I won't comment on the loss of Bjorkie. I'm just going to be unnecessarily angry.

Last edited:

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Still one thing. If we can't call up a youngster from the AHL, could we use a chair? :nod:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Jarmo’s number job in the off season is to get a LD with some size and defensive skill. (And when I say size, I’m not looking for Gud part 2).
But we have so many D men coming we couldn’t even keep the guy we already had who fits this description. So if you do signs. Guy like that it better be for a year, two tops and with no movement restrictions, because otherwise you may as well have given Gavy what it’s rumored he wanted.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
So we dumped Bjorky for little return so we could keep Nyquist - who we just traded for little return (because he was hurt). More terrific asset management.

Would have loved to have been a fly on the wall last summer.

Everyone knew it was going to come down to Nyquist or Bjorkstrand getting moved. Did the team get an offer of a 5th round pick for Nyquist?

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Would have loved to have been a fly on the wall last summer.

Everyone knew it was going to come down to Nyquist or Bjorkstrand getting moved. Did the team get an offer of a 5th round pick for Nyquist?
Gus is more variable and his contract will finish after this season. Also Jarmo probably think young guys can play Bjork. But it is only my idea I don't know if it is true or not.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
The reason we chose Nyquist over Bjorkstrand wasn't for this year it was for flexibility moving forward.
Don't discount the fact Bjorkstrand in a normal market had significant value while Nyquist had little. In the market of last offseason, with most of the league totally capped out, meant it almost certainly would've cost our first to move Nyquist. Look at the standings now and tell me that would've been preferable to losing Bjorkstrand. The cost to move TDA or Hayes or JVR is what kept Fletcher from making a play for Gaudreau, as the Flyers expected to be much worse than they are this year.

Reactions: Forepar

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I feel like Elvis is on the verge of out of control in the crease and out of position on the saves, but he is making the saves.

Just a different feel with Korpi - controlled and in position

Is it just me??

Was the case going all the way back to when he was putting up those shutouts a few years ago.

The contracts that were given out to Korpisalo/Merzlikins were given out to the opposite/wrong goalie.

Also, the Bjorkstrand trade was terrible and still is terrible. For any reason imaginable other than him wanting out.

Last edited:

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Was the case going all the way back to when he was putting up those shutouts a few years ago.

The contracts that were given out to Korpisalo/Merzlikins were given out to the opposite/wrong goalie.

Not to get into a Korpi vs Elvis debate, but how Elvis plays the game is not necessarily worse as far as styles go. But if you play like that you need to be on your game or you'll be bad. There's been plenty of great goalies who seemed to thrive on the insane saves, which often needed to be insane saves only because they had overplayed themselves out of position. Playing calmer is safer and more consistent by default but that doesn't mean you can't be a consistent goalie with a more aggressive/active style like Elvis.

I might agree with you on Korpisalo being ultimately the better goalie, but I don't think it's fair to Elvis to act like his performance this season is somehow "the real Elvis" - it's been pretty clear he's playing the worst hockey of his career and his head has not been screwed on right. I hope he's able to turn it around, but it does give me goalie anxiety heading into next season...

Re Korpi, he was pretty bad for a couple seasons, most likely because of his hips, which is a perfectly fine excuse but not great for convincing people you should be signed as the #1 goalie long term. Haven't seen the interview myself, but someone in some other thread said Korpi had admitted in an interview his mobility isn't what it used to be after the surgery, which has meant he had to adjust his style. Confirms a couple things I noticed in his game, mainly that he was consciously putting effort in staying calm and playing the angles and that he was struggling at times getting from post to post. I really like Korpi, I hope his hips won't bother him for the rest of his career and if that's the case, it might be a few years from now we'll REALLY be wishing they'd given the contract to him instead, but I completely understand why they didn't. Elvis this season is .880% and we all know how bad he's been. Korpisalo last year was .877% and .894% the year before that. Both seasons when Elvis actually put up respectable numbers, though obviously last season is a moot point since the contract was already signed then.

Now, if they actually should've signed either goalie to that money/term is a different thing.

Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad