GDT: GAME 6 - Toronto @ Montreal - 5/29 - 7:30 PM ET - CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I'm almost over him at this point.

Dubas gave up a 1st for a walking bandaid. I think he really skipped on some homework before he made that trade.

My guess is he thought the big guns on the Leafs could get them through the 1st. round.

Really, it is up to marner and Matthews to carry the team.

Do they want to be part of the future?

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
My guess is he thought the big guns on the Leafs could get them through the 1st. round.

Really, it is up to marner and Matthews to carry the team.

Do they want to be part of the future?
Matthews or Marner aren't getting traded if we lose this series.

Reactions: Jojalu

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
Not trolling but how is Thornton still in your lineup? I feel like every turnover starts with him. Love the guy and he’s a star but is there any concern the coach respects him too much?
Scared to scratch him I guess. Maybe he thinks Joe won’t take it well and it will wreck the room.
He could easily be replaced with more effective players who are sitting.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Tough decision to either put a hurt Foligno in, or put Brooksy back in. Coach will have to make the call on what's best for the team, not on if Foligno really wants to play or not.

Personally, would rather have Brooks at 100% than Foligno at 70%. Young legs, and Brooksy has some skill and has had his chances.

Reactions: Ciao

ClarkSittler

Mar 25, 2014
And how many did they have before their first one ? ZERO YES ZERO. You have to start somewhere, this can and will likely be the first of many wins for this group. Last years results don't dictate what will happen this year. If you truly believe that, you should not really ever cheer for this team. What you're saying is no different from the posters who constantly remind us "No wins since 2004 ! look at history guys no wins since then, therefore they are guaranteed to never win a series again !"

Huh?

Las Vegas made the cup finals their first year of existence, something we haven't done in 54 years and won their first 3 playoff series before ever losing one.

Reactions: LeafsRus

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
Huh?

Las Vegas made the cup finals their first year of existence, something we haven't done in 54 years and won their first 3 playoff series before ever losing one.
So is your point that things can turnaround in a year?

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
What are you talking about?

They won the first post season series they ever played in. And the second, and the third, before losing one.

This core is now on post season series number five without a win.

Point is you always start at 0 and that a previous years result has no impact on this years. It's a new year, new team and new opponent. If your rationale is "oh they haven't won yet so that means they'll never win" then sorry to say it but you don't know what the hell you're talking about. That's just a dumb "point" lazy people make.

So because they haven't won a series yet, they are destined to lose for eternity ? Got it.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Not trolling but how is Thornton still in your lineup? I feel like every turnover starts with him. Love the guy and he’s a star but is there any concern the coach respects him too much?

Thornton dangled Keefe a couple times back in the early 2000s and since then Keefe certainly does respect him too much.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
No because Vegas has won 6, yes SIX playoff series since the 2017-18 season.

The Leafs have won 0 playoff series since 2004.

Therein lies the difference, look I'm a Leafs fan like anyone else, I guess I've just got too much PTSD to share the same confidence as you, credit to you for that. I hope I'm wrong.

Lmao you just proved my point for me.

Vegas has won 6 series. But they lost game 5 and 6 to close out the series.

So do they have a killer instinct?

If the answer is yes, then the Leafs can’t not have one because they lost game 5.

Reactions: Rob Brown

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
They've had 54 years to turn things around in "one year", how have they done so far?

How can you blame the current Leafs for the last 50 years?

They weren’t even alive for half that time.

Do you suggest that Dubas go back to 1980 (before he was born) and acquire Gretzky?

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Marner, I need you to come out and show why Dougie Gilmour was one of your favorite players growing up. He needs to come out with the killer instinct and get the team on the board either himself or by setting up Hyman/Matthews early and often this game.

It's time to put behind the playoff jitters and turn the chances into production. I think he has 1 goal and 2 assists tonight with the leafs winning 6-3 to close off the habs in 6.

Time for this team to prove that things have changed since 2019 and 2020 and they can win a series where they were either up or favored to win (in this case its both)

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
No, it simply means this core have yet to prove they are able to win a series in 5 attempts. That could easily end tonight, and if it does, they will have proved they can.

No more, no less.

Exactly, unlike the conclusion the OP came to which is they will lose for sure because they haven't won yet.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
Fun fact: when Gilmour was leading the leafs yada yada, he was almost 30. When he was Mitches age, he wasn’t even a .5 ppg player in the playoffs

Just funny the weird expectations y’all have for kids when comparing them to “leafs greats” in their almost prime. Good times

Also shows you how amazing Matthews and Marner are when they out perform your daddy’s fav overrated leaf growing up. (See: Wendel Clark)

Anyways leafs win 5-1 and this will be boring. Excited for all the crybabies to bump all the appreciation threads and all the contract extensions we should offer.

Reactions: WestCoastLeafs

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
lol yeah

That post went from factual to absurdist in just a few words

I do cringe a bit thinking about how we would be doing with Taylor Hall right now vs Foligno

Non issue

A. He wouldn't come here
B. Couldn't make enough moves to accommodate his $4M cap hit (after 50% retention)

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Kulak and Gustaffsson as their 3rd pairing. No reason why we shouldn't absolutely exploit and abuse that pairing. This is a gift for the Leafs, Matthews/Marner have no excuses today.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Non issue

A. He wouldn't come here
B. Couldn't make enough moves to accommodate his $4M cap hit (after 50% retention)

From the mouth of Bob McKenzie. "The Toronto Maple Leafs didn't want Taylor Hall. They could've had him. They didn't want him"

the cap hit could also have been reduced to $2m after using a 3rd team for secondary retention

Reactions: ToneDog and dubey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad