Post-Game Talk: Game 6: Sharks advance to Stanley Cup Finals!

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
So I know that both teams present their own set of problems but which team do the Sharks match up better against? What do people think?

You have to think tampa. One thing the Sharks have had over all opponents so far is high end talent. They do not have that so much over pittsburgh but they do over tampa.

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
Kind of off topic but just was listening to TSN radio earlier and Larry Robinson's agent was on and said when he signed with San Jose he actually wanted to work for Montreal as the defensive coach but they chose to hire JJ Daigneault instead. They even had an interview set up but before they even spoke with Robinson they hired the other guy and cancelled the interview. Marc Bergevin's mistakes paying off for San Jose haha

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
So I know that both teams present their own set of problems but which team do the Sharks match up better against? What do people think?

I think tampas forwards are less scary. The offense is pretty much drouin/johnson/kucherov/hedman.

The pens you obviously have to deal with the 3 headed monster which is kessel/crosby/malkin all on seperate lines. Which 2 of 3 being better then all of the lightning forwards.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
I don't want any of that HBK line. I think the Sharks could do a good job of shutting down Crosby, but a third line with that talent is pretty terrifying.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Tampa. Tampa's a two line team with a weak blue line and Vasilevsky is beatable. Pens are a three line team with a weak blue line and beatable goaltending.

EmergencyExit

Aug 9, 2011
Toronto
I'd say Tampa too although they are a great team in their own right that's hampered with some key injuries.

Wrt to the Pens one of those 3 lines are going to match with Dillon - Polak at some point. And that could burn us. The good news is I feel our D is better and we can exploit more of their pairings than vice versa.

Clarkington III

Rebuild? Refresh?
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
I decided earlier I would prefer Tampa as well. I think the Sharks can and will beat either team, but Tampa's forward depth in indeed less scary.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I'd say Tampa too although they are a great team in their own right that's hampered with some key injuries.

Wrt to the Pens one of those 3 lines are going to match with Dillon - Polak at some point. And that could burn us. The good news is I feel our D is better and we can exploit more of their pairings than vice versa.

The beneficial thing is that at this point with how much Dillon-Polak have played, if the Sharks need to go two pair the whole series, they can because they haven't leaned on the top four anymore than normal during these playoffs. But you can run Dillon-Polak out there in the same sheltered role and see if they get through it and if a line is becoming an issue for them, bench them and then utilize them in strictly PK duties. That's why I'm not really concerned about the three lines of the Pens because shortening the bench is a real option here and we don't have to worry about the two pairings being gassed. Pittsburgh and Tampa are not afforded such a luxury.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
We also pretty much use Thornton's line as a "defensive line" cuz they're so good that other teams have to work at defending them.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
And Boston's 1st round pick slides down!

In spite of this ^ most of the B's fans I know (and as a STH in Boston I know quite a few) are on the Shark's bandwagon...mostly due to Joe Thornton.

Good Luck !!! I really want San Jose to win it all. :yo:

Last edited:

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
We also pretty much use Thornton's line as a "defensive line" cuz they're so good that other teams have to work at defending them.

And also because all 3 are fantastic defensive players.

Also, you should all be rooting for Tampa tonight. Pittsburgh has dominated them in possession every single game this series and they are very lucky not to be eliminated yet. Pittsburgh is very, very likely to win this game and will be a much tougher opponent.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
I think you go Vlasic-Braun-Couture vs. Crosby Martin-Burns-Thornton vs. Malkin and Tierney-Dillon-Polak vs. Bonino and.

The whole three line thing is a problem. Vlasic and Braun can shut down a line, and Thornton can outscore/outposses another , but we haven't faced a team with three lines who are offensive threats yet.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I think you go Vlasic-Braun-Couture vs. Crosby Martin-Burns-Thornton vs. Malkin and Tierney-Dillon-Polak vs. Bonino and.

The whole three line thing is a problem. Vlasic and Braun can shut down a line, and Thornton can outscore/outposses another , but we haven't faced a team with three lines who are offensive threats yet.

And they haven't faced a team like the Sharks. The Caps don't count.

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
So the Sharks win in 7 games but with Game 7 lasting 3 OTs (essentially making it 8 games?)

Ohh Lawd please no....my heart can only take so much.

giphy.gif

I was thinking more like sweep :laugh:

EmergencyExit

Aug 9, 2011
Toronto
Good point re: the third pairing. I'm going off eye test and it feels like you see them with Thornton a lot. I don't know if any one has numbers but it'd be cool to see how often they are deployed together.

USF Shark

Zôion politikòn
Aug 19, 2005
DC Area
Uh oh. I'm going to need to shave my playoff beard for a job interview tomorrow.

I already had a beard so I was just growing out my hair, but I had to cut it for a critical work function as I looked like a total slob. Nothing bad happened after I cut it, so I think you'll be ok :laugh:

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Good point re: the third pairing. I'm going off eye test and it feels like you see them with Thornton a lot. I don't know if any one has numbers but it'd be cool to see how often they are deployed together.

over the series they spent most of their time with the tierney line. which makes their plus/minus even more impressive lmao.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
also in other news, we completely dominated the blues.

5v5
Scoring chances: 139-90
high danger chances: 60-37
goals-14-6
penalties: 12-20

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad