GDT: Game 56 - Winnipeg Jets @ New Jersey Devils - Sunday, February 19th, 2023 - 6:00pm CST - TSN3 - CJOB/Power 97

Status
Not open for further replies.

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
The Winnipeg Jets head to New Jersey tonight to take on the Devils at the Prudential Center in Newark. The Jets are coming off of a disappointing 3-1 loss against the last place Columbus Blue Jackets and are now 34-20-1 on the season and 5-5 in the last ten games. The Devils beat the Pittsburgh Penguins 5-2 last night and are now an impressive 36-14-5 on the season and are 7-2-1 in their last ten games. Will Winnipeg win with Wheeler's whiffs or does Jersey just juxtapose Jack and Jesper for some joyful jubilations? Will @sipowicz show up to confront his “demons” or has he become a mercenary and joined the Ukrainian Army to fight the Ruskies? These questions and more will probably not come up during this evenings game, or will they? Probably not...

Newark_Skyline_Northwest_View.jpg

We all know New Jersey is home to the Sopranos, but really, what else is there to know about the Garden State? Let's find out in the latest instalment of...

Learnding with Mac.jpg

The New Jersey Devils are actually named after a mythical creature. In South Jersey and Philadelphiafolklore in the United States, the Jersey Devil (also known as the Leeds Devil) is a legendary creature said to inhabit the forest of Pine Barrens in South Jersey. The creature is often described as a flying biped with hooves, but there are many variations. The common description is that of a bipedal kangaroo-like or wyvern-like creature with a horse- or goat-like head, leathery bat-like wings, horns, small arms with clawed hands, legs with cloven hooves, and a forked tail. It has been reported to move quickly and is often described as emitting a high-pitched "blood-curdling scream". Sounds like me after the last Jets loss...

225px-Jersey_Devil.svg.png

Despite being called “The Garden State”, New Jersey has the highest density population of any state in the U.S. Ninety percent of all people who live in New Jersey live in what is considered an urban area...

TD_3D_2_Rozzi_Gavin.png

More cars are stolen in the city of Newark than any other city in the United States. Not like that happens here in Winnipeg...:sarcasm:

10820530_062221-wabc-newark-car-thefts-img.jpg

If you're looking for fun facts for New Jersey, you won't be disappointed to learn that you can find the world's tallest water tower in the state.

The Union Watersphere is 212 feet tall and is now not only a symbol for the town of Union, but for New Jersey as a whole. The water tower has become such a popular attraction that you can even find a museum dedicated to it all the way in Texas...

636308076301788925-Aerial-Water-Sphere.jpg

Monopoly is one of the most popular board games around the world. Many have joked that arguments have started because of a Monopoly game.

Did you know, however, that the fictional city that makes up the Monopoly board is based on a real place? Atlantic City inspired the names you'll see on the board of the original version of the game. I wonder if there is a real Mr. Moneybags too...

monopoly-game-board-atlantic-city-292x300.jpg

Speaking of Atlantic City, it is one of the most popular vacation destinations on the east coast. While there are plenty of things to see in the city, one of the most popular attractions is the boardwalk.

Measuring over five miles, it's the longest boardwalk in the United States. It was also the first of its kind. The first stretch was opened in 1870, making it the first public boardwalk in the country...

webp_large_202112291737-df54f06790b37bf0ab4820a8c7486205.webp

This may not be one of the most fun facts on New Jersey but it's one of the most historic. The Hindenburg was a famous passenger zeppelin that departed Frankfurt, Germany on May 3, 1937, headed for America. Then, on May 6th, 1937, this pride and joy of the Nazi Germany fleet burned up after touching its mooring mast in Lakehurst, NJ. It was a sad incident, as 36 people lost their lives that day, but definitely an interesting part of New Jersey’s history.

The Hindenburg remains a topic of fascination because even now no one knows what caused the disaster. However, some assume the aircraft was purposefully compromised while others believe the paint or engineering were faulty....

640px-Hindenburg_disaster.jpg

The very first drive-in theater opened on June 6th, 1933 and was called Camden Drive-In, located in Pennsauken, NJ. Originally, it was known as a ‘park-in’ theater and was invented by Richard Hollingshead, who was supposedly inspired by how uncomfortable normal movie theaters made his mom. Hollingshead went through a series of tests in his own driveway to figure out the most optimal visual and sound techniques. That's some pretty high tech for the time...

large.jpg

Paterson, NJ was home to a super avid spoon collector named Bertha Schaefer Koempel, who lived from 1882 to 1966. When she passed away, she donated her whole collection to the Passaic County Historical Society — and it became the largest spoon collection ever, topping 5,400 spoons. Now, the Bertha Schaefer Koempel Spoon Collection at Lambert Castle displays 250 spoons at once, which get switched out regularly. Though the Lambert Castle is currently under renovation, it — and the spoon collection — are expected to open again to the public in 2023. I guess I have a long way to go, my collection only has about 500 spoons...

20100611_inq_hd1spoons11z-a.JPG

Residents of Raritan, NJ are not allowed to curse. The law was approved by the Raritan council in 1994 that bans the use of profanity in public. Violators are subject to a $500 fine, a 90-day jail sentence, or both. However, a current councilman in Raritan is looking to overturn this outdated law according to New Jersey 101.5. I guess my sister won't be visiting there any time soon...

attachment-rs20096_gettyimages-1134750751-scr.jpg

Here’s a fact that many New Jersey locals know, but few outside the region are aware of. The Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island are actually in New Jersey, not New York. Who knew...

Statue-Of-Liberty-with-City-View.jpg

New Jersey has a dormant volcano, and today it’s called Rutan Hill. Rutan Hill is located in Sussex County’s Wantage, NJ. But no need to panic, this volcano is dormant and has been for over 300 million years. Today, it’s been developed into real estate that a small number of people call home. That's a relief...

Rutan_Hill.jpg

Let's hope Winnipeg doesn't blow their top tonight... Go Jets Go!:hockey:

Thanks to: 30 Fun Facts About New Jersey - Barclay Square at Princeton, 50 Interesting & Fun Facts About New Jersey State to Know (Updated in 2023), 33 Fun & Interesting Facts About New Jersey (By a Local) - Travel Lemming and 10 New Jersey Fun Facts That Prove NJ is The Best

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Thanks @macmaroon, another home run. :)

Tough game for both teams methinks.

Questions:

Perhaps Helly is back in the saddle?
Perhaps the offence gets warmed up with a couple of timely goals?
Perhaps Perfetti avoids demotion** within the first 20 minutes?
Does Wheeler continue his resurgency?
Can JoMo activate and uncork his brand of whoopass?
Will PP1 be able to distinguish their butts from a flaw in the ice?
Will Gagner/Ehlers log more than 12 min of ice time**?

rick-bowness-bowness-wave.gif

Go JETS

Last edited:

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
tattooed-shakespeare-mathew-mcfarren.jpg

Wheel and snipe in truth Sir Wheels, and dinna curse no goals to show,
That Hughes, and a wee Bratt might take some pleasure of our pain —
As a crosscheck might cause PLD to bleed, choice words might make us know,
KFC buckets might spin, and we a fat win obtain,—
Ere I seek fit words to grease the game of JoMo;
Studying inventions to shake Jets guns awake - to entertain,
Oft turning others’ leaves, to see if thence would flow
Some fresh and fruitful goals upon our shellshock’d brains.
But words, like goals, came halting forth, and want invention’s stay;
Shuffles, Nature’s child, face thy assignment with freshen’d blows;
Renew your feats of yore, they are not strangers in your way.
Ay, Perfecto – brain out a sick pass, leave their goalie in his throes,
Biting my truant pen, searching for words not shyte,
‘Fool,’ said my Muse to me, ‘look in thy heart, and write’.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Thanks for another informative GDT @macmaroon !

Never knew about the Jersey Devil.

I prefer Elizabeth Hurley's version of the devil ! :laugh:

The Jets better figure out how to score on the power play soon as it's getting frustrating to watch.

Jersey is playing really well and another loss will fire up the fanbase.

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
Amazing work on the GDT once again @macmaroon

May the Power of KFC compel us to victory over the Devils
View attachment 652942

and crush them
View attachment 652937

Memes & Gifs for good luck and health
View attachment 652938View attachment 652939

View attachment 652940

and some stats clips courtesy of The Score App for those interested:

View attachment 652944View attachment 652945View attachment 652946View attachment 652947View attachment 652948View attachment 652949View attachment 652950

LIKE! I enjoyed that buddy!
The Jets have very similar stats to the Dirt Devils.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Quickly perused the Devils GDT... interesting things of note

1) They have more posts than us. That's rare when playing against an American team.
2) We're getting their back up goalie, these things usually back fire against us.
3) Avoiding the Jets clutching and grabbing is apparently a key to victory (huh)
4) They nailed is with this deep cut with the quote of "We're still waiting"... bravo

meet-your-2019-stanley-cup-champsthe-winnipeg-jets.jpg

Nov 24, 2006
Quickly perused the Devils GDT... interesting things of note

1) They have more posts than us. That's rare when playing against an American team.
2) We're getting their back up goalie, these things usually back fire against us.
3) Avoiding the Jets clutching and grabbing is apparently a key to victory (huh)
4) They nailed is with this deep cut with the quote of "We're still waiting"... bravo

meet-your-2019-stanley-cup-champsthe-winnipeg-jets.jpg
This was my favourite Stanley Cup that we won.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad