GDT: GAME 54 | Stars @ Senators | Ride 'Em Cowboy! Edition | Thu Feb 22 7PM, 2024 | TSN5, RDS2

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Chabot's backhand pass is horrendous and always leads to turnovers if he attempts it behind the net. During DJ's realm he did it again and again and again. Finally under Martin he passes against the flow with the support on the half boards. Chabot attempted only once yesterday the backhand pass during the game and it led to turnover right away again. Thankfully the puck was recovered. It just one thing how bad DJ was and could not fix it right away.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Solid win, average of 5 shots on goal allowed, and keeping the clock ticking down in the third was impressive.

Reactions: Emrasie

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Maybe

But you guys always fall for these mini runs at the end of the year when we have nothing to lose

The real test will be next season in October when the pressure is really on.

I have seen this pattern many times before under DJ

Imagine we extend Martin just to fire him by Christmas break
Does anybody see some similarities here? ;)

Reactions: Tragedy and bert

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Blown away by how good they played tonight. This is a totally different team than we saw before the coaching change. Not a similarity in sight.
We got the new coach boost that people talk about, that's for sure. Offensive production & winning will flow from strong defensive structure and play. Martin did it before, and he's doing it again.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
We got the new coach boost that people talk about, that's for sure. Offensive production & winning will flow from strong defensive structure and play. Martin did it before, and he's doing it again.
When I think of the new coach boost, I think of a temporary boost as a team that had given up and tuned out their head coach gets a bit of extra jump and hope from a new voice. This is different, this is a system taking hold and sustainable changes taking effect.

We didn't get that new coach bump because the team was still playing for DJ, the problem was DJ just wasn't getting them to play the way that's needed to be successful. We relied on our skill to beat teams rather than our system and attention to detail. Under Martin, the attention to details is getting emphasized, and we are creating more offense through the turnovers that creates so while the skill is still there, we aren't relying on it as much.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
When I think of the new coach boost, I think of a temporary boost as a team that had given up and tuned out their head coach gets a bit of extra jump and hope from a new voice. This is different, this is a system taking hold and sustainable changes taking effect.

We didn't get that new coach bump because the team was still playing for DJ, the problem was DJ just wasn't getting them to play the way that's needed to be successful. We relied on our skill to beat teams rather than our system and attention to detail. Under Martin, the attention to details is getting emphasized, and we are creating more offense through the turnovers that creates so while the skill is still there, we aren't relying on it as much.
I guess I don't have any rigid thoughts on what a "new coach bump" means. It could happen right away or a bit later. It could be temporary (for just a stretch of games) or it could be for a long time (or pervasive even).

When you introduce a new coach, there's always the possibility there will be changes in structure, etc. as well, and that was certainly the case for us. When you bring in JM, its pretty predictable what he will be emphasizing and you'd think Staois and company were aware of this and were welcoming this.

At any rate, I'm happy its happening.

It's also nice to see Norris & Chabot get on the board last night. These developments & improvements is moving in the right direction as well

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
Also DJ should never be a head coach of a professional team ever again. Man what a waste of 2 seasons. This team would be playoff bound had Jacques started the season and had a full camp.
If we continue to play like this under a 71 year old who hasn't been a head coach for 12 years, it'll make DJ look even worse for any possible future coaching opportunity.

First question, Martin fixes a team in a month without practice, what the f*** have you been doing for 5 years?

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I guess I don't have any rigid thoughts on what a "new coach bump" means. It could happen right away or a bit later. It could be temporary (for just a stretch of games) or it could be for a long time (or pervasive even).

When you introduce a new coach, there's always the possibility there will be changes in structure, etc. as well, and that was certainly the case for us. When you bring in JM, its pretty predictable what he will be emphasizing and you'd think Staois and company were aware of this and were welcoming this.

At any rate, I'm happy its happening.

It's also nice to see Norris & Chabot get on the board last night. These developments & improvements is moving in the right direction as well

Generally the new coach bump is understood to mean that the players have kind of quit putting in the effort under the previous coach and the new coach coming in gives them a renewed burst of energy. Our situation was kind of the opposite tbh

Reactions: Emrasie

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
If we continue to play like this under a 71 year old who hasn't been a head coach for 12 years, it'll make DJ look even worse for any possible future coaching opportunity.

First question, Martin fixes a team in a month without practice, what the f*** have you been doing for 5 years?
Man Martin gave DJ credit for giving the team emotion? Emotion. Martin was asking the same thing you are.

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Solid win, average of 5 shots on goal allowed, and keeping the clock ticking down in the third was impressive.

The highlights skipped the 3rd period entirely. 2nd ended and they jumped right to the final seconds ticking down.

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
Man Martin gave DJ credit for giving the team emotion? Emotion. Martin was asking the same thing you are.
I'm not even convinced he meant that in a good way. The attitudes he brought up his own pressers have mentioned continuing to sulk or be a man.

More like being emotional babies instead of playing with emotion.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I'm not even convinced he meant that in a good way. The attitudes he brought up his own pressers have mentioned continuing to sulk or be a man.

More like being emotional babies instead of playing with emotion.
I think he’s trying to be nice. And had to give him credit for something. So it was that. But then in the next breath he talks about how uncontrolled their emotion was and sometimes is.

DJ did Jack shit for way too long.

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad