GDT: Game 52: Red Wings at oilers 9:00 pm et 2/13/24 (ESPN+, BSD)

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
Well that certainly fell apart at the end
I thought we outplayed the Oilers in the first two periods and deserved better going into the 3rd. That was a major league collapse in the 3rd. Lyon will have to much sharper than he was tonight against Vancouver. I was hoping for at least a point tonight. I will be in Vancouver for the game on Thursday and the boys better win that damn game. Larkin and Raymond were no shows tonight. Seider has a really rough game.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
I thought we outplayed the Oilers in the first two periods and deserved better going into the 3rd. That was a major league collapse in the 3rd. Lyon will have to much sharper than he was tonight against Vancouver. I was hoping for at least a point tonight. I will be in Vancouver for the game on Thursday and the boys better win that damn game. Larkin and Raymond were no shows tonight. Seider has a really rough game.
Lyon let in some bad goals but it was honesty mostly mcdavid just destroying this team. Edmonton doesn’t deserve this player. He should have multiple cups already - this is the most purely skilled player since Mario. He is ridiculous to watch out there

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Been pretty mediocre for a large chunk of this season. I was expecting him to take a step forward this season not a step back.

Your take is wrong. He wasn't even that bad tonight, he was covering McDavid and he can score no matter what D is playing. Walman on the other hand was not good tonight, and neither was Lyon. Decent amount of stoppable shots to me. Even the ridiculous giveaway by Chiarot should have been stopped by Lyon, but the whole team was in "get us out of here mode" by that point! DeBrincat could have tried harder on the Holloway goal, he just let Holloway easily dive in their to score, when all he had to do was get in the way.

Seider may have been on the ice for a lot of goals tonight, but he was hardly the reason most of them went in.

End of the day, you can't do much when McDavid has 6 pts in 19 minutes of play. It would be like getting on any other good defender or team, when Gretzky or Mario went OFF!

McDavid is probably the best player I have seen. If he played in the 80's he would have outscored Gretzky. No one moved like this in the 80s

FALSE! McDavid would not have had this speed/moves in the 80s. He would have drank pop/ate poorly before and during games, just like many did then, and would have had wood sticks and worse skates and worse training.

Reactions: EXTRAS

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
McDavid is probably the best player I have seen. If he played in the 80's he would have outscored Gretzky. No one moved like this in the 80s

Honestly though because they couldn't.

Put McDavid in 80s skates with a wood stick and watch him try these moves. Then put prime Gretzky in modern equipment.

Don't get me wrong I think McDavid is incredible. but it's hard to compare eras.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Put McDavid in 80s skates with a wood stick and watch him try these moves. Then put prime Gretzky in modern equipment.

Don't get me wrong I think McDavid is incredible. but it's hard to compare eras.

This is what I hate when people say everyone is better than Gretzky. They always put said player back in the 80s with everything (training, equipment, diet, etc.) from today, while the greatest of all time remains in the same everything from back then.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
This is what I hate when people say everyone is better than Gretzky. They always put said player back in the 80s with everything (training, equipment, diet, etc.) from today, while the greatest of all time remains in the same everything from back then.

My go-to stat is Gretzky putting up 90 points as a 37 year-old with a bad back in 1998. Which was good enough to tie for 1st in assists that year with prime Jagr and tied for 3rd overall in points with prime Bure.

A lot of youngins act like he ran up scores on beer league goaltenders in the 80s and that was it. But it wasn't the case.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
It wasn't a stinker all game but to be fair I was getting ready for bed the first 4 or 5 minutes of the 3rd ... it's good we got those 2 points last against Vancouver because we could easily be empty handed. Bounce back time Thursday. There is no McDrai to worry about.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
He wouldn't have today's equipment in the 80's. Joe Veleno would dominate the 80's in today's equipment.

This argument has been beaten to death.

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
tenor.gif

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
My go-to stat is Gretzky putting up 90 points as a 37 year-old with a bad back in 1998. Which was good enough to tie for 1st in assists that year with prime Jagr and tied for 3rd overall in points with prime Bure.

A lot of youngins act like he ran up scores on beer league goaltenders in the 80s and that was it. But it wasn't the case.

Exactly, even his last season he still had, 9G, 53A and 62PTS, in 70GP and I think was 23rd in scoring league wide on a crappy Rangers team where John McLean was his best linemate.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway

Of course. Very hard to compare eras. 150
He wouldn't have today's equipment in the 80's. Joe Veleno would dominate the 80's in today's equipment.

This argument has been beaten to death.
Seen the goalies and the speed of the game during the 80s?

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Not much a team can do when a guy like McDavid has a game like that.

Wings outplay Edmonton, DeBrincat rings multiple shots off the post, McDavid comes down and pulls magic out of his ass.

Not much you can do. Shake it off and move on.

Also, a reminder that after we play Vancouver, the Wings only have like 5 games left against clear "powerhouse" teams, with 15 of their games coming against teams that are currently in the bottom 3 of their respective divisions. They may have one of the easier schedules to wrap up the season.

Last edited:
Reactions: raymond23

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Of course. Very hard to compare eras. 150
Seen the goalies and the speed of the game during the 80s?

This point really matters very little, as if it was so easy to runaway and dominate, because the goalies were so bad, how come it was only Gretzky who put up those insane totals? Then Lemieux did, no one else was racking up lots of seasons of 110+ pts. Even Yzerman hit 110 just twice in the 80s and three times overall. Nicholls hit 150 one time, only cause he played with Gretzky, and some of the other 100+ pt guys back then only got there because of Wayne. Aside from Wayne and Mario, most players weren't putting up earth shattering numbers each season.

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
This point really matters very little, as if it was so easy to runaway and dominate, because the goalies were so bad, how come it was only Gretzky who put up those insane totals? Then Lemieux did, no one else was racking up lots of seasons of 110+ pts. Even Yzerman hit 110 just twice in the 80s and three times overall. Nicholls hit 150 one time, only cause he played with Gretzky, and some of the other 100+ pt guys back then only got there because of Wayne. Aside from Wayne and Mario, most players weren't putting up earth shattering numbers each season.
You are misunderstanding if you think that me saying McDavid would challenge Gretzky is a knock on Gretzky.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
You are misunderstanding if you think that me saying McDavid would challenge Gretzky is a knock on Gretzky.

No, I am taking it as in that you think McDavid is anywhere close to Gretzky, and I don't believe he is at all. McDavid is very fast, but he doesn't think the game like Gretzky and it isn't close. Gretzky's smarts are why he was so good and dominant. Take McDavid's speed/skating down just a notch, and he is still really really good player, but not in the Gretzky scheme of things. I also don't think McDavid would be as good as Mario either.

Not running McDavid down, he is the runaway leader best player today by a large gap, and is a Top 4-10 player all time already to me, but I still believe that Gretzky, Lemieux and Orr were better. Gretzky by a landslide better.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
McDavid wouldn't have access to the training and analytics he has today if he played in the 1980s. He wouldn't be scoring 300 points per season or something ridiculous like that.

That being said, I still think he would be a match for Gretzky and be able to notch 200 point seasons.

After everything is said and done, I think he ends up 2nd to Gretzky in points and people will be able to make legit arguments that he is the best player ever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad