GDT: Game 51: Red Wings vs canucks 1:00 pm et 2/10/24 (ESPN+, BSD)

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Maybe the best game of the season. It was clear the nucks didn't want to lose 3 in a row. There were goals, hits, fights, saves, intensity... everything.
And that Hughes kid is amazing. I have not seen as exciting a player as Hughes since Datsyuk. He completely controlled period 1. Larkin went after him, Pettersson after Raymond and DeBrincat fought.Yet this board is deafening quiet. I wonder if people watch hockey or just read trade idea and prospect threads.
Chiarot and specially Kane struggled, but not even close to Maatta, it seemed like he didn't play hockey in 5 years, not 10 days.
Makar is better than Hughes and Hughes cost Vancouver with that stupid crosscheck in OT.

Maatta wasn't great but he was still better than Ghost who was awful.

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
Honestly, it'd be kinda fun to see a serialization of Plausible Keats, based on which teams we're playing. Assuming we make it, and we play the Rangers, maybe a bit of history of our playoff battles. Florida, all about the various plants and animals native to Florida that can kill you. Tampa, a rundown of record-setting storms, etc.

And if we miss, you can always stow this idea away for next year.
Last season the majority I based off of geographical or historical comparisons - St. Louis and Detroit both began essentially as fur trading camps/forts, for example - this season I've been trying other stuff. It's enjoyable in a weird way.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Makar is better than Hughes and Hughes cost Vancouver with that stupid crosscheck in OT.

It is between Hughes and McDavid for me. They are on another level.

I think Maatta played 12 min only, the least by all defenders

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
Yeah Qughes is nasty. I don't expect that level but hope one of Ed or ASP can look that dangerous from the point.

Mo is a beast but that is def one of his weaknesses. Like one PP drop pass he made, three nucks on the blue line backed off and he had room to take it in then pass to a winger for entry. But instead we do the same old telegraphed drop pass and the forward failed to enter. You think Quinn Hughes is dropping that shit back?

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
It is between Hughes and McDavid for me. They are on another level.

I think Maatta played 12 min only, the least by all defenders
I will disagree I think Makar is the best defensemen in the NHL and better than Hughes.

I think Ghost was far worse he kept giving away the damn puck. But we got the win so that's all that matters.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I will disagree I think Makar is the best defensemen in the NHL and better than Hughes.

I think Ghost was far worse he kept giving away the damn puck. But we got the win so that's all that matters.

Yeah, Ghost has been a net negative in all situations lately. Not great on the PP anymore. Too many giveaways at even strength. His focus is gone.

Trade for Hanifin plzktnx.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

I think the bigger Hughes mistake was letting Walman get behind him for the breakaway in the first place.

As for Ghost, he's been a nice addition overall this year but I don't think the Wings need to re-sign him. It's time for some kids to step forward.

Reactions: Go Wings

Geezer WC

Standing room
Jan 29, 2022
Great game to watch, it felt like a playoff game.
That was a huge win for Detroit coming off a long layoff and getting Chiarot and Kane back was nice too.

The cherry on top was me rubbing in Canuck fans faces and getting kicked out of the thread :laugh:

Kicked out of a thread? Did you bring up the Cam Neely trade?

Reactions: Astyanax

Astyanax

May 5, 2020
Some guy said the I should worry about my team making the playoffs. I said that he should worry about them not setting Vancouver on fire after they lose in the playoffs :laugh:
Ok, it was the finals and a little unexpected for Canada. But, let's remember what happened in detroit after the tigers won the world series and in Chicago after their championships (collectively!!) So, just maybe a little harsh?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Ok, it was the finals and a little unexpected for Canada. But, let's remember what happened in detroit after the tigers won the world series and in Chicago after their championships (collectively!!) So, just maybe a little harsh?
Harsh, sure. But I could absolutely see a first round matchup of Vancouver and LA, with the Kings bouncing them early.

We'll see how the city handles it, but despite their regular season success thus far, I don't see the Canucks as quite ready for a serious playoff run.

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
Detroit sets itself on fire every year before Halloween anyway. What's one more?

That '84 Tigers win was neat though. I was at UM on the footbridge over Washtenaw walking from Mary Markley down toward the diag when I heard a low roar build and sweep and echo through town. Then car horns. Cool sound. Cool moment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad