GDT: Game #51 Jan. 21st Knights go into the Bruins Den of Iniquity

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
I honestly don't know if we will make the playoffs. The team is just really off this year. We were a cup favorite, I definitely don't see that anymore. We need to hold on to our draft picks and not make any stupid moves at the deadline though.
I honestly don't know if we will make the playoffs. The team is just really off this year. We were a cup favorite, I definitely don't see that anymore. We need to hold on to our draft picks and not make any stupid moves at the deadline though.

I completely agree - everybody is also complaining about the defense, but our goaltending has been a little shaky. Don't think Fleury has lost it, he just needs to get his head straight z(understandable due to his dad) and Subban is not an NHL goalie, basically. Don't see anything much in the pipeline either. We need to spend a pick or two on a goaltender (likely from abroad).

Reactions: Nevada Jones

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
When you realize you haven't traded your 1st yet and it's a really good top 3 this draft.

tenor.gif

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
I want the 1st rounder to stay put to draft Heklge Grans, but I feel he'll skyrocket in the draft. Big RHD with good skating, a fantastic defensive game, and lots of untapped potential in his offensive game? Yes please.

Goalies are crap shoots unless you go after Askarov this year, or Wallstedt next, so no wishes there. Maybe try and get Georgie from Rags for a 2nd+3rd.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
SJ can win the lottery for Ottawa to draft 1st, VGK can win 2nd and draft Byfield and the Ducks can get Idon'tknow on 3rd.
Oh yeah I forgot Ottawa had that pick

How about this

Lafreniere-Anaheim
Byfield-Vegas
Ottawa-idk the German

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I want the 1st rounder to stay put to draft Heklge Grans, but I feel he'll skyrocket in the draft. Big RHD with good skating, a fantastic defensive game, and lots of untapped potential in his offensive game? Yes please.

Goalies are crap shoots unless you go after Askarov this year, or Wallstedt next, so no wishes there. Maybe try and get Georgie from Rags for a 2nd+3rd.

I don't think Askarov should cost more than a 2nd. Goalies don't hold as much value and he hasn't proven to be a starter so I think that would be a dream return for them.

hackeyman

Jun 26, 2018
Well at least that's what I read somewhere. Apparently the brass brought in some guy who coached San Jose to a much lousier record than ours.......I guess it seemed like a good solution at the time.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Well at least that's what I read somewhere. Apparently the brass brought in some guy who coached San Jose to a much lousier record than ours.......I guess it seemed like a good solution at the time.

Well, they're a much lousier team than ours.....

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
I don't think Askarov should cost more than a 2nd. Goalies don't hold as much value and he hasn't proven to be a starter so I think that would be a dream return for them.

Watched Askarov in juniors - possible potential but I was not impressed. Don't like goalies who keep their gloves up high, hopefully a good coach can change that.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast

Being a Cup favorite means being a betting favorite. A lot of locals bet on the Knights ignoring the glaring holes on the back end. Anyone paying attention pegged them for the middle of the pack. Unless some new blood is infused into the blueline, I can't see things improving much after the break.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Being a Cup favorite means being a betting favorite. A lot of locals bet on the Knights ignoring the glaring holes on the back end. Anyone paying attention pegged them for the middle of the pack. Unless some new blood is infused into the blueline, I can't see things improving much after the break.

I think I'm okay riding the season and drafting with our picks this draft.

Schneider, Benning, Grans are RHD we could look at, Luke Tuch is in the draft.

There's one of Whitecloud/Coghlan who could make the team, Bischoff/Schuldt could make the team. Elvenes/Dugan could make the team.

Glass could play at center more. Roy could play more. Sign a RHD in FA.

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
I think I'm okay riding the season and drafting with our picks this draft.

Schneider, Benning, Grans are RHD we could look at, Luke Tuch is in the draft.

There's one of Whitecloud/Coghlan who could make the team, Bischoff/Schuldt could make the team. Elvenes/Dugan could make the team.

Glass could play at center more. Roy could play more. Sign a RHD in FA.

I'm not a big fan of "going for it" unless you are literally one player away, which we manifestly are not. Otherwise, you build a dynamo with draft picks, youth, speed and judicious free agents. unfortunately, it seems management (read - owner) feels otherwise. I suspect that is the real reason Gallant was let go (although the PK definitely looked improved tonight - otherwise it was same old same old).

Puckstop40

Aug 23, 2009
Las Vegas, NV

At the beginning of the season, most of the NBC panel pegged the Knights and Avs as their picks for the cup. I knew the back end wasn't great but it's honestly been utter trash for most of this year. Moving forward, that should definitely be top priority.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
At the beginning of the season, most of the NBC panel pegged the Knights and Avs as their picks for the cup. I knew the back end wasn't great but it's honestly been utter trash for most of this year. Moving forward, that should definitely be top priority.

Our defense sure does suck, but some of our forwards have been trash at defense as well.

Knightmare

VGK fan since the 70’s
Jun 15, 2018
Las Vegas
Our defense sure does suck, but some of our forwards have been trash at defense as well.
And other than maybe 3 of the guys they’ve all been trash at offense too. Our goaltending is subpar. All the top teams have their goalies ranked in the top 10. Hell even their backups are in the top 20. Fleury is 33rd and Subban is outside of 50th.

To make a run we’d need to trade for a goal scoring 3rd liner or two. A top 4 D man (or 2). Get a some PED’s for Nate. And a legit goaltender. With what? Our 1 million dollars in cap space?

I think GMGM went all in and it didn’t work.

I say quit gambling while you can. Don’t go to the atm and take more money out. This season isn’t a cup contending team. Neither is the next. I’ve heard so many people talk about “we have to get this done during Fleury’s window”.
Sadly, I feel like Fleurys window is closing at a alarming rate and it’s not even the same model window that it once was.

I also think firing Turk has had the opposite effect of what they were hoping. They were hoping for a team that would say “finally we don’t have this shitty coach anymore and we can play hard for the new guy” but instead it seems to have demoralized the group.

Of course this is still my team and I will continue to watch every game. For me, I just think it’s time to stop chasing the high that was the unbelievable inaugural year. It ain’t happening.

anyway, thats my rant, brought to you by Jack Daniels and Naqvi injury Law. Peace.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
And other than maybe 3 of the guys they’ve all been trash at offense too. Our goaltending is subpar. All the top teams have their goalies ranked in the top 10. Hell even their backups are in the top 20. Fleury is 33rd and Subban is outside of 50th.

To make a run we’d need to trade for a goal scoring 3rd liner or two. A top 4 D man (or 2). Get a some PED’s for Nate. And a legit goaltender. With what? Our 1 million dollars in cap space?

I think GMGM went all in and it didn’t work.

I say quit gambling while you can. Don’t go to the atm and take more money out. This season isn’t a cup contending team. Neither is the next. I’ve heard so many people talk about “we have to get this done during Fleury’s window”.
Sadly, I feel like Fleurys window is closing at a alarming rate and it’s not even the same model window that it once was.

I also think firing Turk has had the opposite effect of what they were hoping. They were hoping for a team that would say “finally we don’t have this ****ty coach anymore and we can play hard for the new guy” but instead it seems to have demoralized the group.

Of course this is still my team and I will continue to watch every game. For me, I just think it’s time to stop chasing the high that was the unbelievable inaugural year. It ain’t happening.

anyway, thats my rant, brought to you by Jack Daniels and Naqvi injury Law. Peace.

I think the inaugural season was awesome and magical as it happened. But I think it's memory has haunted this team for two seasons and has caused some problems for the roster built going forward.

It could also be Foley and his six year Cup promise that he keeps wanting to chase. Rushing things usually doesn't go well for those teams. Missing the playoffs, or not, but using our draft picks the next season and another after would probably place this team much better than trying to go for it now.

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018

I think people ignored the holes in the back end because the team had a lot of the same defensive players last year and despite the issues opposing teams didn’t score that many goals.

Last season the team was 10th in goals allowed, and that includes the first 20 games when the team started slow and Nate Schmidt was out. This season the team is 22nd in goals allowed. Two years ago the team was 8th in goals allowed despite having a bunch of injuries at the goalie position. It’s only been this year that other teams are scoring so much that it’s killing this team in the regular season.

And there actually are a lot of players with disappointing performances that we didn’t expect to see. Cody Eakin and Alex Tuch were important players on the team last year. Put last seasons version of those players on the team this year and we suddenly have a pretty useful 3rd line instead of a useless or even destructive one every night. Karlsson, Stastny, Pirri, Fleury and Schmidt haven’t done as much to help the team as people expected.

Last season the team only had Stone for 18 games, Patches missed 16 games, Stastny missed 32 games, and Schmidt missed 21 games. I think people figured those players would do more for the team this season, and didn’t expect the rest of the team to disappoint as much as it has.

Calgary and San Jose were expected to be worse too. It’s much easier to be a cup favorite if your chances of winning the division look pretty good.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
It remains to be seen what will happen when WB returns, but Marchessault, Smith and Pacioretty are playing some of the lowest minutes they've seen all year.

This is going to take some adjusting to. Marchessault & Smith, I thought, had a good game in Montreal but played just over 14 minutes ES & PP 2 nights later in Boston. It's possible he sees the line as another 3rd with Karlsson out. Eakin played more than Stephenson again.

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
I think the inaugural season was awesome and magical as it happened. But I think it's memory has haunted this team for two seasons and has caused some problems for the roster built going forward.

It could also be Foley and his six year Cup promise that he keeps wanting to chase. Rushing things usually doesn't go well for those teams. Missing the playoffs, or not, but using our draft picks the next season and another after would probably place this team much better than trying to go for it now.

I’m afraid the team is going to make some reckless moves in an effort to justify the higher ticket prices that were announced for next season.

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
It remains to be seen what will happen when WB returns, but Marchessault, Smith and Pacioretty are playing some of the lowest minutes they've seen all year.

This is going to take some adjusting to. Marchessault & Smith, I thought, had a good game in Montreal but played just over 14 minutes ES & PP 2 nights later in Boston. It's possible he sees the line as another 3rd with Karlsson out. Eakin played more than Stephenson again.

PDB said he wants shorter shifts, rolling 4 lines with more balanced ice time. Here we are.

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
I’m afraid the team is going to make some reckless moves in an effort to justify the higher ticket prices that were announced for next season.

I don't think the team cares one bit about justifying high prices when capacity in the building is over 100% every night. The business & the hockey sides of the front office are completely separate, but on the same page if that makes sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad