GDT: GAME 50 | Mighty Ducks @ Senators | Let's Go Streaking Edition | Thursday February 15th, 7PM | TSN5, RDS2

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
I see the perspective of this is not on Korpi, but you know the team plays differently when there is no confidence in the goaltending or when the game is getting away. I think
The blame is on both the players and the goalie.

That’s two bad games in a row. I really hope it’s not indicative of a trend, the team was playing so well.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
In the past 15 years, only Flyers had a season with (slightly) worse Save% (in the COVID shortened season). That's 2nd worst out of 450 team/seasons.
Who is our goalie coach anyway?

1708097281430.png

Reactions: Cosmix and DrEasy

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
In the past 15 years, only Flyers had a season with (slightly) worse Save% (in the COVID shortened season). That's 2nd worst out of 450 team/seasons.
Who is our goalie coach anyway?

View attachment 820787
Goalie coach has very little, to nothing to do with it

They've had 4 different guys over the past what, 5 seasons?

The Sens have just gone out and gotten either backup goalies and or washed up goalies since Anderson left

Reactions: DrEasy and Bileur

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Well, I've been at 3 of the last 5 games. You can see Jacques's influence when they have the lead. Not sure I saw a seismic shift last night or in that Ranger game though. The PP has shooters on their strong side, that's different and it's completely taken away one timers on the PP. Otherwise I'm not convinced it's been much of a run of anything
Only time will tell. Of course, this is not the day to argue for any of that, but I've liked what I've seen lately.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
The team was hungover from Valentine's Day. Unreal - they are still learning to be professionals. They didn't play, make plays or execute, leaving Anaheim free lanes. Didn't help playing with 3-AHL quality defencemen and Korpisalo going back to being Korpisucko.

On to the next one.

Reactions: SNES and DrEasy

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
It's not like this is surprising with Korpisalo. Of course we didn't expect him to be as bad as he's been, but it was scratching and clawing for anyone trying to justify the contract at the time. It was met with a collective woof iirc.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It's not like this is surprising with Korpisalo. Of course we didn't expect him to be as bad as he's been, but it was scratching and clawing for anyone trying to justify the contract at the time. It was met with a collective woof iirc.
It was certainly a risky signing. I think the pitch was if he stands up as a #1, it's a team friendly contract.

I mean, when guys like Elliott can be a number one... why not him?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
It was certainly a risky signing. I think the pitch was if he stands up as a #1, it's a team friendly contract.

To be fair

Elliott's largest NHL contract was 7.5 million over 3 years
Had 8 seasons in a row with a .907 or better from 2011-2019
Had 6 seasons of 40+ games, 11 with 30+
Had 129 GP in his first 3 seasons in the league, including 55 in a season

Elliott had a very large sample size of playing 40+ games, and giving you ~.910sv%+, and could still only get shortterm, small dollar deals as a guy who would at worst be your 1b

Korpisalo had
3 seasons over 30 games.
5 seasons over .900
4 seasons under .900

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
To be fair

Elliott's largest NHL contract was 7.5 million over 3 years
Had 8 seasons in a row with a .907 or better from 2011-2019
Had 6 seasons of 40+ games, 11 with 30+
Had 129 GP in his first 3 seasons in the league, including 55 in a season

Elliott had a very large sample size of playing 40+ games, and giving you ~.910sv%+, and could still only get shortterm, small dollar deals as a guy who would at worst be your 1b
So, 2.5 x3 back then compared to 4x5, I agree, we bet more on Korpisalo, but... in 2014 when Elliott got that contract, he had played 40 games exactly twice, both for the Sens, one sub 900 year and one at 909. He did have a couple good years as a 1b/backup in StL before getting that deal. 2.5 was 3.89%of the cap back then, Korpisalo's 4 is 4.79, however,the cap is fully expected to explode since it's been artificially kept low to pay off the impact of the pandemic, so the gap is probably a bit wider than it would otherwise have been.

I still don't, and didn't, like the deal, it's too long to be giving him that much, I'd would rather we have run with Forsberg (that probably would have backfired) or gone after someone else like try to pry away one of Boston's goalies,

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

It was, and not worth that risk to the majority it seemed. That's certainly how I felt. It's not like him doing well was out of the question, but it was a heck of a bet to make that he would.

Why not him? Could be a team friendly contract? X did it, why not him? Those are all fine, but they're also basically question marks on a 5 year commitment.

When you throw 20 million at that, you may wear some egg in the end, and it appears the team is. I just don't think anyone should be surprised we're already wondering what to do in year 1 since so many seemed to doubt it from day 1. Korpisalo just doesn't seem like a consistent enough of a goalie that he ever should have gotten a deal like this.

When PD signed him, I remember some of the commentary from him was things like he was the best available and the pool wasn't great, so had to get out ahead and get the best option out of them. That struck me as maybe you're better off doing nothing or playing it safer.

Reactions: Cosmix and DrEasy

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It was, and not worth that risk to the majority it seemed. That's certainly how I felt. It's not like him doing well was out of the question, but it was a heck of a bet to make that he would.

Why not him? Could be a team friendly contract? X did it, why not him? Those are all fine, but they're also basically question marks on a 5 year commitment.

When you throw 20 million at that, you may wear some egg in the end, and it appears the team is. I just don't think anyone should be surprised we're already wondering what to do in year 1 since so many seemed to doubt it from day 1. Korpisalo just doesn't seem like a consistent enough of a goalie that he ever should have gotten a deal like this.

When PD signed him, I remember some of the commentary from him was things like he was the best available and the pool wasn't great, so had to get out ahead and get the best option out of them. That struck me as maybe you're better off doing nothing or playing it safer.
Ya, I think the sentiment at it's most generous was he could be a good bet, but we gave up too much term.

As I said, wasn't the choice I'd have made, I was just playing a bit of devils advocate wrt the rationale.

WallyD

Nov 20, 2022
Glad I missed this one.

I said earlier in the season that he need to learn to stay up longer, instead of going butterfly instantly.
I've mentioned quite a few times, it's not so much that he goes into butterfly too early. He does two things that result in the top of the net being wide open. First, even when facing a single approaching shooter (through defence or not), he doesn't come out enough to improve his net coverage upstairs. Second, he seems to be too squat or spread wide in the butterfly, like he is near sitting on his pads instead of being more torso erect. He also seems to lurch his shoulders forward toward shooter rather than staying more upright. All of these things result in the top of the net being a gaping chasm for shooters. My guess is that the book it out on him as many teams seem to be preying upon this issue, targeting him upstairs.

Reactions: DrEasy

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I blame Travis Hamonic. Forsberg looked pretty solid before Travis tried to break both his knee caps.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Ya, I think the sentiment at it's most generous was he could be a good bet, but we gave up too much term.

As I said, wasn't the choice I'd have made, I was just playing a bit of devils advocate wrt the rationale.
That's fair. I can understand what they were thinking at the time. I won't kick and scream about it, just don't think anyone should be surprised it's not working out and is a problem, since it seemed to be the concern from day 1.

Reactions: Micklebot

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
They came out flat as a team. Another game without Sanderson and Zub. .. Is an issue for this defense corps and dzone play

The one thing that stood out for me , not for the first time, is the extra effort Giroux puts in. So many of these young Sens forwards should be embarrassed that they can't suck it up to a) play the right way and b) put in the effort that approaches what Giroux is putting out.

A flat 1st. The Sens seemed to adjust a little and held the Ducks to no shots through a large part of the 2nd. They were sunk by 2 quick goals at the end of the 2nd and another quick one at the beginning of the 3rd.

That's 2 games in a row where they got away from the stronger play away from the puck they were showing. The difference between how the played vs the Leafs vs how they played the last 2 is significant.

NOW they have to turn it around and get their belief in the game plan back and turn it around. This team has sunk lower in the past before finding the resolve to step it up. The effort level has to be ratcheted up without trying to do too much on your own, particularly if you are fighting it on a given night.
This team still needs to improve its play without the puck. And when they lose puck possession, they need to hustle on the back check at all times. There is still too much standing around and watching in our D zone. The Fs seem to lack "anticipation" of what the opponents will do. When Sanderson and Zub are back, the D will be much improved; you cannot expect solid D play with Hamonic and JBD and Brannstrom.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
You just know we had a horrible game when Hamonic looks relatively decent.
The guys we didn't expect to move the puck looked best (relative to expectations), JBD also looked alright.

We needed someone to give the team a spark, throw a big hit, get in a fight, didn't matter what it was, they needed a wake up call, but unfortunately, holding the ducks to just 2 shots from the midpoint of the first to the midpoint of the 2nd probably had them thinking they just needed to stick to the game plan and things would work out, which normally isn't a bad idea, but one team clearly was playing with far more intensity.

Two late goals in the second and the game was finished.

Reactions: DrEasy

dekem

Sep 2, 2005
If you buy a Stutzle jersey, it should come with fake snow all over the back and front, so that you can barely read the nameplate.

Reactions: bicboi64

Mr Hat

Oct 24, 2017
Kelowna
Bad team performance. Didn’t deserve a point. But our $5M goalie is no better than a backup making 1/3 his salary. Did Korpi lose the game? No. Is he better than average backup in the NHL? No. Would be nice to have some faith that every once in a while we get outplayed and win because our goalie played well. Other than Andy and Hasek this teams goaltending has been such garbage since I can remember.

Reactions: Emrasie and DrEasy

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Yeah opposing goalies never stop our shots when they’re going top shelf lol

Im not saying we would have won if he was decent. But im saying if you want a chance when you lay an egg. You need your goalie to not be terrible.

5 goals on the first 16 is terrible. I don’t care if all the goals are on 2 on 1s

Didnt We win the deserve to win o meter lol. I say that in half jest.

But like yeah. If we are starting to consider “shots that went top shelf” as unstoppable then….
It's not just top shelf, it's how they went there. They were rockets.

When Norris rips a one timer from that circle top drawer, we celebrate his awesome shot. You can't commend the shooter when it's our goal then turn around and blame Korpi on the Vatrano goal. He ripped that.

I also made the point that we've taken away our ability to do that. My seats line up with where Vatrano shot from. Norris isn't on that side of the ice on the PP these days.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad