GDT: GAME 50 | Mighty Ducks @ Senators | Let's Go Streaking Edition | Thursday February 15th, 7PM | TSN5, RDS2

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Bad team performance. Didn’t deserve a point. But our $5M goalie is no better than a backup making 1/3 his salary. Did Korpi lose the game? No. Is he better than average backup in the NHL? No. Would be nice to have some faith that every once in a while we get outplayed and win because our goalie played well. Other than Andy and Hasek this teams goaltending has been such garbage since I can remember.
Yep. Korpi has cost us quite a few games, not that one though

Not saying he was at fault for this goal but it’s becoming funny to watch replays when JBD is on the ice for a goal against, seems like there’s an 80% chance he’s lying on his stomach in the slot somewhere lol

The point of the tweet was the 8m guy

Reactions: Mr Hat

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yep. Korpi has cost us quite a few games, not that one though
Agreed, however I might argue had we played better, he might have cost us the game.

He wasn't as bad as the score/sv% suggests, but he also wasn't good

Lost to criticize about that game, don't know if anyone escapes unscathed

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
It's not just top shelf, it's how they went there. They were rockets.

When Norris rips a one timer from that circle top drawer, we celebrate his awesome shot. You can't commend the shooter when it's our goal then turn around and blame Korpi on the Vatrano goal. He ripped that.

I also made the point that we've taken away our ability to do that. My seats line up with where Vatrano shot from. Norris isn't on that side of the ice on the PP these days.
I think they want to use Norris on the other side for playmaking purposes, and he did have a great pass on a PP goal the game before. But I don't exactly think "Norris" when considering a passer, so I agree with you. I'd rather having him in his office ready for the one-timer, as predictable as it sounds. Or move Norris to PP2 then, have him set up Chychrun for the shot.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Agreed, however I might argue had we played better, he might have cost us the game.

He wasn't as bad as the score/sv% suggests, but he also wasn't good

Lost to criticize about that game, don't know if anyone escapes unscathed
Sure. If we'd scored 4, you could argue he cost us the game. I'll give you that.

I was out of country. Missed some games. Came back. You guys were all talking about how great they've been playing. I've been to the NYR, Columbus and Anaheim games in the past two weeks. I think we've been the better team for 1 of 9 periods .

What I have personally witnessed has been brutal. We were definitely losing games because of goaltending but that is not what cost us last night.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Reactions: Cosmix

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Sure. If we'd scored 4, you could argue he cost us the game. I'll give you that.

I was out of country. Missed some games. Came back. You guys were all talking about how great they've been playing. I've been to the NYR, Columbus and Anaheim games in the past two weeks. I think we've been the better team for 1 of 9 periods .

What I have personally witnessed has been brutal. We were definitely losing games because of goaltending but that is not what cost us last night.
You sure picked the wrong game to go to, lol, Clb and Ana are probably our two worst games since Jacques took over, we played a D shot in one and both without Zub and Sanderson but it was more than that, they just weren't playing the way they had been,

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
You sure picked the wrong game to go to, lol, Clb and Ana are probably our two worst games since Jacques took over, we played a D shot in one and both without Zub and Sanderson but it was more than that, they just weren't playing the way they had been,
That was my thought. And the NYR game was the Korpi5alo game.

Reactions: DrEasy

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
They want to take their time, not make mistakes and see the long term picture unlike you
They’ve taken their time, and they need to start the progress on or before March 8th.

Complaining about the hand they were dealt solve nothing… actions speak louder than words, this fan base has waited long enough.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
You gave the previous regime ample time to facilitate and construct this organization yet you seem so impatient with the new group.

the ground work has laid, they have a group of high draft picks who’ve been developed and have signed long term contracts and there is no way we should expect another 2 or 3 year retool/rebuild/… whatever moves needed, should begin soon, and next season should be well on the way to where they envision.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013

Our goaltending hasn't been great except for the recent winning streak, but I'm pretty sure we'll have to score more than one goal in the vast majority of games to have any hope of winning. Scoring goals is not the goalies job last I checked. There was plenty of blame to spread around in the CBJ game.

Reactions: Cosmix

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
They’ve taken their time, and they need to start the progress on or before March 8th.

Complaining about the hand they were dealt solve nothing… actions speak louder than words, this fan base has waited long enough.
You weren't so vociferous about achieving results when the Melnyk/Dorion regime were around. The reversed attitude is a little curious and definitely bizarre.

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
That's fair.

You know, I probably would too, but JM and Alfie have my confidence and they'll have to prove me wrong to lose it. DJ never had mine in the first place, certainly nowhere near the level they command, and never changed my mind otherwise in his time here. That doesn't mean I'm going to kick and scream and call him a bozo either though.

I also just feel like I'm watching a completely different team out there, both as a group and individually. The 4th line, the goaltending, the support for each other in general. And many of the players have spoken about it pretty openly.
Whoops!

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I'm okay with it. I still feel like the team is playing better under JM. They were never going to win them all. 1 egg and a big breakdown against Chicago.

Will be interesting to see how they respond from here.
I am not convinced that Martin is the right guy for head coach going into next season; I would rather have a younger head coach who has some of the traits of Tortorella (demands solid defensive play in all 3 zones, including D zone blocking shots, covering a man, etc.). There is still a need to improve the team's play (both Fs and Ds) without the puck. The goaltending has been substandard too.

Roster Improvements Required:
1. Better #1 Goaltender
2. More physical D-men (including at least 1 top 4 RD)

Reactions: SpezDispenser

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Remember the game we sent Detroit to the showers last year? That was this game - although we were already nicely in the shower as it was.

I am not convinced that Martin is the right guy for head coach going into next season; I would rather have a younger head coach who has some of the traits of Tortorella (demands solid defensive play in all 3 zones, including D zone blocking shots, covering a man, etc.). There is still a need to improve the team's play (both Fs and Ds) without the puck. The goaltending has been substandard too.

1. Better #1 Goaltender
Totally this. Even if it means trading Chychrun, which i personally don't want to do, we need a mean, big motherf***er on the right side and we need to buy out Korpisalo, who isn't a starter.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

1. Better #1 Goaltender
That's fair. I'm not advocating for JM to stay next year, but he's helped navigate disaster. I just like what I've seen on the ice much more so under them than the first part of the season under DJ. It is also still a work in progress that doesn't really have achievable goals left this year to aim for. I assume the plan is still for a new guy to be brought in and I support that.

Either way, I'm appreciative of the fact that they are not slamming their heads in the wall doing the same things with the same coaching staff under DJ. There were no valid arguments that he should be kept, so if it wasn't JM, it was going to be someone else, and the season was basically lost already by then as it was. We had a fun little streak there but these 2 losses slam the door on any ridiculous run to get in to the playoffs type hopes.

Certainly some areas of concern with the roster too. No denying that. Goaltending has been a gone show for a long time and the roster mix does seem off. There is some change required to the group and there will be. We're still in phase 1 of the new group.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
He plays the left side, no?
Not sure, I just think about him when I hear mean tough defender (at least on ice).

Nurse might be an overpaid scrub, but cna't be easy to knock down the way Zadorov does in this clip.

Hoping Kleven can become our Zadarov

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad