Post-Game Talk: Game 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
So, we should ALL take solace that Vegas had quite the scare vs Dallas last year, put on their big boy pants and continued on to win the Cup. I'm okay with that, thanks my man. I was fine prior to (not thrilled) but surely we shouldn't be panicking the way many are.
Rather be UP 3-2, then down 3-2. Simple as that, now they need to dress properly with the right set of pants.
Vegas is a big boy team. That team has a bunch of alpha dogs on it who want to be THE guy to win the game. They were a team that wanted to come out and control the game and overpower the opponent, not a team just content to be in a tight game.

We have a bunch of guys who seem to look around and wait for someone else to do it. Seriously, that's just the makeup of this team.

Reactions: LeetchisGod

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
As a professional athlete to be successful at the highest level it is imperative that, YOU HATE TO LOSE MORE THAN YOU LOVE TO WIN. I still haven’t seen that from this core.

Please prove me wrong boys LFG NYR
I think fans take the losses harder than many pro athletes. I think that attitude is in some of the elite competitors but not the average player. (Mod)

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
So, we should ALL take solace that Vegas had quite the scare vs Dallas last year, put on their big boy pants and continued on to win the Cup. I'm okay with that, thanks my man. I was fine prior to (not thrilled) but surely we shouldn't be panicking the way many are.
Rather be UP 3-2, then down 3-2. Simple as that, now they need to dress properly with the right set of pants.

Someone has to be the voice of reason after that shit show last night :laugh:

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
We are not allowed to admit it was a shitshow without being branded as negative nellies.

Is anyone not saying last night is a shit show? Or even being blasted for saying that it was a shit show?

I think theres a difference between saying last night was a shit show and acting like its a lock that they blow this thing. One is fact as it happened, the other is just exhausting.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Vegas is a big boy team. That team has a bunch of alpha dogs on it who want to be THE guy to win the game. They were a team that wanted to come out and control the game and overpower the opponent, not a team just content to be in a tight game.

We have a bunch of guys who seem to look around and wait for someone else to do it. Seriously, that's just the makeup of this team.
Really? That team was made up of most of the same guys that blew a 3-0 3rd period lead to the Sharks in a Game 7 and then lost because Barclay Goodrow scored in OT? The same Vegas squad that in the year prior to this didn't qualify for the playoffs? The year prior to that lost to the Canadiens in the playoffs? Those alpha dogs? If want and desire resulted in winning, there would be 32 cup champions every season.

We are not allowed to admit it was a shitshow without being branded as negative nellies.
Everyone saying that they're getting reverse swept because of this, or that want to blow up the team that won the President's trophy and is 7-2 in the postseason should be laughed at. I don't think a single person came here and said that was some Grade A quality hockey.

will1066

Tarasenko: most dollar store player of all time
Oct 12, 2008
My advice is if you date a Negative Nellie, when you break up, don't rebound with a Debbie Downer.

I've been watching the other series for enjoyment when we were cruising through 7 games. Today I'm still a little upset. Out of spite to the Rangers, I refuse to watch the other games tonight.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
My advice is if you date a Negative Nellie, when you break up, don't rebound with a Debbie Downer.

I've been watching the other series for enjoyment when we were cruising through 7 games. Today I'm still a little upset. Out of spite to the Rangers, I refuse to watch the other games tonight.
Not only did I not watch the other game last night and won't tonight as well, I deleted twitter off my phone last night because I basically only follow all hockey stuff on there and then I unfollowed everything hockey related on instagram.

Filip Chytil

Mar 3, 2014
For historical reference, here are the 5 playoff series in NHL history where a team went up 3-0, the other team won Games 4, 5, and 6, and the team that was originally up 3-0 ended up winning Game 7 and staving off collapse.

1939 Semifinals Rangers vs Bruins: Bruins win first three games and win in 7.

1945 Stanley Cup Finals Detroit vs Toronto: Leafs win first three games and win in 7.

1975 Semifinals Islanders vs Philadelphia: Flyers win first three games and win in 7.

2011 Western Quarterfinals Chicago vs Vancouver: Canucks win first three games and win in 7.

2011 Western Semifinals Detroit vs San Jose: Sharks win first three games and win in 7.

I don't have the 14 teams that went up 3-0, lost Games 4 and 5, and won Game 6. I think @Machinehead alluded to Vegas being one of those teams last year in the WCF.

will1066

Tarasenko: most dollar store player of all time
Oct 12, 2008
When the Rangers lost last year to the Devils the next day I sat in my leather chair with my feet on my ottoman and my 2 dogs on my lap and didnt move all day long. I just stared into space, the thousand yard stare, I was so depressed.

I think one of the steps in the grieving process is to delete something. Delete @Tob's account.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Really? That team was made up of most of the same guys that blew a 3-0 3rd period lead to the Sharks in a Game 7 and then lost because Barclay Goodrow scored in OT? The same Vegas squad that in the year prior to this didn't qualify for the playoffs? The year prior to that lost to the Canadiens in the playoffs? Those alpha dogs? If want and desire resulted in winning, there would be 32 cup champions every season.

Everyone saying that they're getting reverse swept because of this, or that want to blow up the team that won the President's trophy and is 7-2 in the postseason should be laughed at. I don't think a single person came here and said that was some Grade A quality hockey.
The Vegas team that blew the 3-0 third period lead to SJ (with a 5 min major PP for SJ don't forget) didn't have some major contributors to when they won the cup.

The team that blew the lead didn't have Eichel or Pietrangelo. That's their best forward and arguably their best defenseman from their cup winning team. Go look at the 6 D who dressed in that SJ series and then the 6D who Vegas used in their cup run. It's like comparing our Quinn teams to now in how different they are.

The team that lost was rolling out Ryan Reaves, Branon Pirri, Paul Stastny's corpse, Deryk Engelland among others. Their cup winning team was a much better team than the one that blew the lead to San Jose. Fluery also shit his pants in that 3rd period, giving up at last 2 goals that should've been stopped.

Filip Chytil

Mar 3, 2014

The 13 series where the team still won after going W-W-W-L-L are:

1973 MTL vs BUF
1977 BOS vs LAK
1980 NYI vs BUF
1988 MTL vs HFD
2001 NJD vs CAR
2004 SJS vs COL
2008 DAL vs SJS
2008 DET vs DAL
2012 PHI vs PIT
2012 LAK vs NJD
2015 MTL vs OTT
2015 TBL vs MTL
2016 WSH vs PHI
2023 VGK vs DAL

5 times has the team won in 7

1939 BOS vs NYR
1945 TOR vs DET
1975 PHI vs NYI
2011 VAN vs CHI
2011 SJS vs DET

4 times has the team lost in 7

1942 DET vs TOR
1975 PIT vs NYI
2010 BOS vs PHI
2014 SJS vs LAK

I should've scrolled to this page. Thanks for the info @Amazing Kreiderman. Missed this earlier. Disregard my previous post.

Reactions: Amazing Kreiderman

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

Are the Rangers as good as Vegas?

CTTribe73

Aug 17, 2023
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Talking to Laviolette on our current conference call:<br><br>&quot;Desperation is a funny thing. You can&#39;t give it to somebody. You actually have to feel it… As we move into the next game and we realize that the window’s a little smaller, that level rises.&quot;<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NYR?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#NYR</a></p>&mdash; Vince Z. Mercogliano (@vzmercogliano) <a href="">May 14, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ

The 13 series where the team still won after going W-W-W-L-L are:

1973 MTL vs BUF
1977 BOS vs LAK
1980 NYI vs BUF
1988 MTL vs HFD
2001 NJD vs CAR
2004 SJS vs COL
2008 DAL vs SJS
2008 DET vs DAL
2012 PHI vs PIT
2012 LAK vs NJD
2015 MTL vs OTT
2015 TBL vs MTL
2016 WSH vs PHI
2023 VGK vs DAL

5 times has the team won in 7

1939 BOS vs NYR
1945 TOR vs DET
1975 PHI vs NYI
2011 VAN vs CHI
2011 SJS vs DET

4 times has the team lost in 7

1942 DET vs TOR
1975 PIT vs NYI
2010 BOS vs PHI
2014 SJS vs LAK

The stat could show 100% of the teams that were up 3-0 won the series. It has no bearing on what happens here. This is its own unique circumstance.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Are the Rangers as good as Vegas?
I don't know, but that's not really the point.

The point is, all of the gut check "you can't do that and win" nonsense has been done by all the teams that won.

Tampa Bay had the most embarrassing series loss in pro sports history and then won two Cups.

The playoffs are a loser machine. 1 wins, 15 embarrass themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad