Post-Game Talk: Game 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTRanger

N9Y4R
Jun 20, 2006
The Gold Coast
I have faith in this team and believe we will still win this series. But last years game 7 against NJ was the worst playoff performance in a crucial spot I could remember in 45 years of following the Rangers. I was embarrassed and disgusted as a fan. Last night at home with a chance to close out and they basically no-showed again, not quite as bad but it was still bad. I do believe they come out a very different team in CAR and close this out. Show some pride, legacies are on the line, how do these guys want to be remembered.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I would put my level of concern at “significant concern, bordering on extreme,” but I’m trying to keep it together.

But if we lose this series I won’t be placated without moving out a TON of salary. Mika, Trouba, Goodrow, for sure, maybe Kreider too.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I would put my level of concern at “significant concern, bordering on extreme,” but I’m trying to keep it together.

But if we lose this series I won’t be placated without moving out a TON of salary. Mika, Trouba, Goodrow, for sure, maybe Kreider too.
Trouba should go if we win our next nine for the Cup.

Thanks for your service.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
It's also been pretty obvious to everyone here that Carolina has adapted and adjusted their style of play this series to match the opponent. And I don't think that's a self important thing to say- they have both offensive and defensively changed tactics.

They've become very flee flowing and unexpected in their patterns of attack, especially off the rush. They've done a great job finding holes in the coverage (While moving forward, which is particularly challenging) that has granted them a lot of grade A scoring opportunities.

Defensively, they're not just running around after every player any more, at even strength or the power play. Instead of focusing on the forecheck like NJ did to force turnovers deep, they are stepping up at the red line and disrupting more deliberate NYR builds. On a variety of shifts, we never really lost possession, but by the time we were actually able to get the puck deep the current line was 35-40 seconds in and thinking about a change.

My chief suggestion for NYR would be to change the looks of the lines, especially Panarin. I'd try to mix and match Panarin with some other groups once in a while to try to get him better matchups, and just generally to throw a wrench into the equation. The Wennberg line has gotten great looks against the weaker of the Canes players. Give Panarin a shift of two with Wennberg and Kakko, and I bet he finds a little more joy than he has been the past few games.

Also Gus Trouba has officially been a problem for a little bit. It might be risky to insert Jones into a 3-2 series on the road after a month of not playing, but I think Laviolette has to really consider how he's going to make the D pairs work.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Bullshit, they'll get their millions either way they don't give two f***s.
I understand fans like us getting frustrated with bad performances, but OF COURSE they give a f***. You can't get to that level as a professional athlete if you don't care about winning. I mean its a really illogical take. I feel safe saying most people on these boards have never had the level of dedication it takes to rise to the strata these guys have reached.
Yeah, sometimes there's going to be a flat effort, some days will look like total ass, but to say they don't care about winning or losing? It's kind of nuts, bud. And yeah, I've said myself that sometimes they don't do the things they should to win, and sometimes the compete level IS the problem, like game 3 on against the Devils last year, they just did not do what they needed to, so I get it, but I can't imagine really believing they just don't f***ing care...

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
I have faith in this team and believe we will still win this series. But last years game 7 against NJ was the worst playoff performance in a crucial spot I could remember in 45 years of following the Rangers. I was embarrassed and disgusted as a fan. Last night at home with a chance to close out and they basically no-showed again, not quite as bad but it was still bad. I do believe they come out a very different team in CAR and close this out. Show some pride, legacies are on the line, how do these guys want to be remembered.
This is the sport played at it's highest level... greatest amount of pressure will show the cracks in any team. This core is suspect to not being able to finish. We are seeing now, what many have seen all season long with this core, and the year before, etc.

The core is talented, and creative, but lack the will to finish. The "x-factor" players take games off at the most critical times. The 2nd overall is severely underplaying. The bargain bin acquisitions by the GM are coming back to bite them now. Not enough role players. Not enough physicality on defense.

If they have to play and LOSE a game 7, changes most certainly need to be made to address this line up.

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
This is a good point. My wife said to me, "you can't care more than they do." And honestly, it sometimes feels like I do. I can't allow the team's failures to affect my personal life lol
This right here is what people struggle with. I got told off last night to the tune of "don't tell us how to be angry." Bad shit happens in real life all the time, and we can't respond to those setbacks the way we have to this.

It's not healthy or productive.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I understand fans like us getting frustrated with bad performances, but OF COURSE they give a f***. You can't get to that level as a professional athlete if you don't care about winning. I mean its a really illogical take. I feel safe saying most people on these boards have never had the level of dedication it takes to rise to the strata these guys have reached.
Yeah, sometimes there's going to be a flat effort, some days will look like total ass, but to say they don't care about winning or losing? It's kind of nuts, bud. And yeah, I've said myself that sometimes they don't do the things they should to win, and sometimes the compete level IS the problem, like game 3 on against the Devils last year, they just did not do what they needed to, so I get it, but I can't imagine really believing they just don't f***ing care...

What is a lack of compete level if not not caring?

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
I reassess it all the time. It's my drug. I'll be honest I really wish I could quit it and spend my time more productively. There's very little reward and the anger I get at this franchise is not consistent with how happy I am when they win. Rationally speaking I wouldn't watch a minute of this garbage franchise and the Giants. But I'm basically a drug addict. I'm addicted to this team. I hate watch them at this point.
That's a downer. Sorry it works that way for you. Absolutely NO sarcasm in that. I mean, I get discouraged, but I don't suffer like that.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
I beg to differ......sitting through the back-to-back shutouts against Tampa was far worse...probably because I attended both games.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
Here's some thin gruel that hit me in the shower this A.M.:

No Canadian team has won a cup since the Rangers last won in '94. None of 'em; last one to get one were the 92-93 Habs. And it's their national sport! So you want to talk about epic failures, it does not get more epic than that. And some of those teams have had studs playing for them-The Sedin twins, Matthews, Marner, McDavid, Draisaitl, Alfredsson.

Well, that's not techically true. The Nordiques have won three....but they had to move to Colorado to do it, LOL.

Another thing-if you go back through Hockey Reference to the 94-95 season and forward it's absolutely stunning the number of teams that have lost Game 5 home ice playoff games. I was quite surprised. It's a real thing. Matter of fact it seems to be the common denominator in series that run 7 games.
The national sport of Canada is actually putting maple syrup on breakfast meat.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
It's also been pretty obvious to everyone here that Carolina has adapted and adjusted their style of play this series to match the opponent. And I don't think that's a self important thing to say- they have both offensive and defensively changed tactics.

They've become very flee flowing and unexpected in their patterns of attack, especially off the rush. They've done a great job finding holes in the coverage (While moving forward, which is particularly challenging) that has granted them a lot of grade A scoring opportunities.

Defensively, they're not just running around after every player any more, at even strength or the power play. Instead of focusing on the forecheck like NJ did to force turnovers deep, they are stepping up at the red line and disrupting more deliberate NYR builds. On a variety of shifts, we never really lost possession, but by the time we were actually able to get the puck deep the current line was 35-40 seconds in and thinking about a change.

My chief suggestion for NYR would be to change the looks of the lines, especially Panarin. I'd try to mix and match Panarin with some other groups once in a while to try to get him better matchups, and just generally to throw a wrench into the equation. The Wennberg line has gotten great looks against the weaker of the Canes players. Give Panarin a shift of two with Wennberg and Kakko, and I bet he finds a little more joy than he has been the past few games.

Also Gus Trouba has officially been a problem for a little bit. It might be risky to insert Jones into a 3-2 series on the road after a month of not playing, but I think Laviolette has to really consider how he's going to make the D pairs work.
eh... no disrespect, what you're saying is true to a degree, i just don't think it's having as much of an effect as you're implying.

Game 4, the rangers convert some of those missed nets and posts... and we're waiting to play Florida.

it comes down to execution. the top players (and others who should) on this team don't their chances when they have them.

KevinFinnerty

I bomb atomically...
Mar 7, 2020
St.Augustine
what would be hilarious would be if Pesce was put in for game 6 lol. and we Counter with Chytil and Wheelchair.

on a positive note, Lafreniere looks incredible out there. kid is going to win this series for us, and Chytil will play his ass off too.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
What is a lack of compete level if not not caring?
There are levels, say they need a 10 but come up with a 7... they didn't compete the way they needed to, but they still competed, they still care. It's not a binary. Human beings will have ups and downs, highs and lows.

KevinFinnerty

I bomb atomically...
Mar 7, 2020
St.Augustine
the rest is a boon to us, Carolina can't wait to get back on the ice, we need to rest up, re-assess our PP strategy, and come out like a bat out of hell Thursday. Kreider, Zibby, Laf, Panarin we need you f***ers to fly.

Reactions: AirGut

will1066

Tarasenko: most dollar store player of all time
Oct 12, 2008
Trouba should go if we win our next nine for the Cup.

Thanks for your service.
My wife and I always practice gratitude and manifest abundance. Yesterday, we said thank you for your service to our drip coffee maker. The Cuisinart had a good run. Now we have a Braun. No, it's not related to Justin Braun.

CTRanger

N9Y4R
Jun 20, 2006
The Gold Coast
I beg to differ......sitting through the back-to-back shutouts against Tampa was far worse...probably because I attended both games.
I beg to differ… I believe we came off two tough 7 game series and Tampa was flat out the better team that year. In game 7 against NJ we did not compete for an inch of ice, it looked like the team legit quit.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

KevinFinnerty

I bomb atomically...
Mar 7, 2020
St.Augustine
literally every factor here is to our advantage I'm sitting at work in my office thinking about this...rest, gives us our reset, goalies-- Freddie is a tired mumbling bumbling idiot out there who needed rest while his team was down 0-2. Shesty is Shesty. dialed in. we have 2 chances to win this series. they have 1.

Reactions: AirGut

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
I am a little worried. We got b****smacked in our own barn for a chance to close it out. You would think a team full of veteran leadership would have everyone in line. We looked off from the drop of the puck and it is simply unacceptable.

Trouba is embarassingly bad. He is playing at an ECHL level right now. He cannot keep up. This series isn’t physical, its fast. I know they won’t do it, but I want to see what Jones can do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad