Post-Game Talk: Game 5: SJ wins 6-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
I am so happy pavs' insane tip goal is in a win and we can be happy about it. what a crazy tip.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
analysis is ripping allen, i dunno. i dont think he was a problem for them and he saved a lot of grade a chances tonight.

CJL182

Oct 9, 2008
analysis is ripping allen, i dunno. i dont think he was a problem for them and he saved a lot of grade a chances tonight.

Yeah, he kept them in it when we couldn't finish chances in the first 10 mins of the 1st period.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
That third period is the most excited I've been for the Sharks in franchise history, yes!!!!!

That said, the Blues didn't play bad, the Sharks got a great tip to take the lead. If anything, the difference is how the Sharks played with the lead in the third versus the Blues with several leads in the second. The Sharks just beared down and shut down the Blues.

And that PP. Finally oh finally this team has a great reg season PP and carries it into AND THROUGH the postseason. Amazing stuff.

drunksage

lol light beer
Jan 13, 2007
Hendertucky-ish
Pavelski on TV postgame interview w/ Boucher:

- [on his goals] first one I had a chance right before it hit a stick, Jumbo made a play, second one's coming, got a little lucky, it flutters into a corner, second goal you're just fighting through trying to find that puck, Burnzie does such a good job getting pucks through, I was able to get a stick and it finds a way in, a couple goals that's how I scored on you [Boucher], never scored straight on you, it was always a tip or something went wrong
- [on tipping pucks] we worked at it a little bit, I just have a good idea where Burnzie's shooting and get ready for it, you just try to anticipate it, there's nights when you get 'em, there's nights when you don't, you just try to get more than not
- [on next game] there's a lot of work to be done, these are the toughest games, series only gets harder, they've proven that they hang around, they played a good game tonight, guys really stepped up and played a good game tonight, that's what it's gonna take in Game 6, that's the biggest thing, not to get ahead of ourselves, there's a lot of work to be done

Tierney on radio postgame interview w/ Hedican:

- the talk on the bench was just stay with it, we felt good about our game, we thought we were creating more chances than they were, having more zone time than them, and I think the guys stayed calm, no one panicked on the bench when they got the lead, it was just a real resilient win by our team
- [did the Blues' goals spark the Sharks?] I think we just don't quit, we just keep coming wave after wave, and I think we can wear teams down because we just roll 4, we get it on the forecheck, we roam around down there and try to tire them out that way, I think we just felt good about our game, and obviously when you're down a goal you push harder every time, I think after we got down 3-2 we kept the pressure up the whole time
- [did they sense that the Blues were getting tired?] I think so, they had a couple chances in the third, obviously they're gonna press, go all-in, try to get a goal, Joner made a huge blocker save there, everyone bought in to get pucks out, play hard, try to win every puck battle
- [looking forward] it's something special, you don't get this chance every day, some guys only get this chance once in their career even if that [sic], so it's something special that can happen, and everyone's gonna be ready to go at home, we know we've gotta come out, get 'em when they're down and we have a chance to move on, you're gonna see a complete team effort from us next game

Vlasic on TV postgame interview w/ Boucher:

- [on his goal] it was a great faceoff play and I was just trying to get it off quickly, found a little hole, the team needs offense y'know, and I've been here long enough that I can contribute
- [on shutting down Tarasenko] time and space, our forwards are doing a good job putting back-pressure on them, we don't want 'em to have 1-on-1's with our D so our forwards are helping us out, but being physical on him, on our their guys, it's tough to do against elite players like that
- we still have to get that last win, sometimes they say it's tougher to get that 4th win, if we play the way we did tonight we should be alright, but the Blues are gonna play their best game of the series coming up

Thornton on TV postgame interview w/ Brodie:

- obviously we're up 3-2, but I think what we've done all year is we've stayed in the moment, we don't get too far ahead of ourselves, we got a good opportunity, enjoy this tonight but forget about it and just come to work on game 6
- we just kept coming, we were down twice, our power play did a good job of getting us back in the game, we never give up, that's such a good trait to have, we always believe we're in the games, and you saw it tonight, we just kept going and kept going and eventually they broke and we won
- [on the first PP goal] we kinda missed one earlier on that power play, but that one, yeah, it just kinda flipped up, it's one of those you just gotta shoot and hope it goes in, and thank God it did

Couture w/ Brodie:

- still a long way to go, 3 wins isn't 4, we know it's gonna be a battle, but we're excited to go home in front of our crowd with a great opportunity ahead of us
- there were a lot of chances out there, after the 1st we tightened up defensively, didn't give them as much even strength-wise, we figured if we played well defensively, it'd lead to chances offensively for us, and it did, we had a fair share of odd man rushes that we didn't convert on, but any time you score 6 you put something in a good spot[?]
- [any takeways from the game?] just winning, this time of, win and move on, get excited for a couple minutes and move on, we have a flight tomorrow then rest up and get ready to go again

(Really surreal at this point to see Roenick praising Marleau's play in both zones.)

Ward w/ Brodie:

- [perspective?] obviously you're aware of where you're at but our mentality is just stay focused, play each game as it is, worry about the task at hand, stick to what we've been doing, the process, knowing that it's not going to be an easy thing
- [RBI single on that goal?] that was a little bit of a squeeze play I guess you could say, fortunate to get a puck laying there for him, just try to get a stick there and make contact
- [confident in ability to rebound?] we believe in our group all year long, our leaders lead every night, everyone believes in one another, we had great goaltending again from Jonesy, our backend played strong, of course Jumbo and Pavs led the way
- [on getting the 4th victory] determination I think is gonna be key, hopefully the Shark Tank is buzzing and coming out strong, getting off to a good start is gonna be key for us, we're excited for the opportunity, we've worked hard all year and look forward to the next game

Tierney w/ Brodie:

- [repeat answer about his perspective on where the Sharks are at in the playoffs]
- [on his line] I thought we deserved a bounce sometimes, didn't get a couple calls, couple bounces or chances didn't go our way, but it's nice to be able to get that goal to put it away at the end, it's easy to do when you've got the big guys out there making sure we're in that position, it's just a total team effort
- [on the PK] I thought we did a pretty good job, obviously we gave up one but I thought we were pretty solid most of the time, we were denying entries and we won the special teams battle tonight, it's been a factor every game so far and it's gonna be huge next game too
- I really liked the resilience of our team tonight, we were down in the game and came back each time and finally took the lead in the 3rd, it just shows this group doesn't quit, everyone stays calm and cool, we know what our game looks like and we know how to play it, there's no panic with this team and I think we're just excited for the next game

Vlasic w/ Brodie:

- [on his goal] when I scored, we huddled up and he said it was mine, he didn't touch it, but [whether] he did or didn't, it was nice to get that first one early
- the last game we didn't have enough shots from the D-men, tonight we were able to contribute a little more, get pucks through, Burnzie got one on Pav's goal, I got a couple, our other D got a couple, that created some opportunities, it's nice that our D and especially the power play got 2
- we wanna make it to the Stanley Cup Finals, we've been in this position before and we've lost, winning 1, 2, or 3 doesn't matter, you need 4 wins to advance, so if we play we did the way tonight two nights from now, hopefully we'll be alright
- [biggest difference from Game 4?] special teams, power play had 2 goals, we came to play, we were fast, we were hard, we were supporting the puck everywhere, I thought this was the best game of the series as in both teams play very well
- [things to focus on next game] breaking out clean, forecheck, good special teams, they're all tough to get but the 4th one is the toughest because no one wants to go home, but it should be a good Game 6 at home

More interviews to come as I watch 'em!

Last edited:

Ser Jorah Mormont

Lord Friendzone
Sep 3, 2013
Down Under
Pavelski was really bad in the first period but turned it around like a leader should.

Marleau on the other hand looks like his mind is on the golf course because he hasn't contributed anything positively at all.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
I told you guys we are going to the damn finals :P

So, what is the most important goal in Sharks history now? Pav's, Tierney's, or Ward's?

Obviously Pav's is the game winner, but Tierney's took the life out of them and burried the hatchet.

Still, I'd probably go with Pav's, which is fitting.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I told you guys we are going to the damn finals :P

So, what is the most important goal in Sharks history now? Pav's, Tierney's, or Ward's?

Obviously Pav's is the game winner, but Tierney's took the life out of them and burried the hatchet.

Still, I'd probably go with Pav's, which is fitting.

Without pavs goal, tierneys doesn't happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad