GDT: Game 5 | Leafs @ Bruins | COME BACK BEGINS - WAKE UP EDITION | Tuesday, Apr. 30 7 p.m. EST | Leafs trail series 1-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
his 11M freed up from the cap is value.
This line of thinking is so ridiculous.

Whether you like Marner or not, just simply subtracting him means you now have lost:
  • A high production winger
  • A PP1 guy
  • A PK1 guy
  • A matchup guy
  • Someone who averages a lot of ice time every night
You now have $11M, which is nice, but you've also created 3 or 4 huge holes on your team that you aren't replacing with that $11M.

I'm all on board exploring different scenarios involving moving Marner, but I'm also only doing so if a massive high value piece is coming back in return (Ie. Tkachuk/Florida).

If that deal doesn't exist, you don't move him, try extending him on more of a discount, and re-evaluate your franchise and keep trying to make big moves.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16

Losing to Bruins again in the series; no can't stomach that. Its too painful! So screw the Bruins. Let the voodoo and name calling begin so Leafs can WAKE THE F UP.

The EPIC COMEBACK STARTS NOW !

1 down 15 more wins to go!!!

voodoo-doll-boston-bruins.gif

8oh4lj.jpg

8oh4rq.jpg

8oh5dn.jpg

8oh637.jpg

8oh888.jpg

8oh3al.jpg

LEAFS EXPECTED LINE UP

Goalie: Undecided (Hunch says its Woll).

Additional Notes:
Matthews game time decision probably

BRUINS EXPECTED LINE UP

Goalie: (Hunch says they go back with Swayman)

Additional Notes:
Marchand and Heinen were not on practice; maintenance day per Montgomery

Since cheering saying GLG and being a good guy doesn't work. Here is something new that we hope works. EMBRACE THE DARK SIDE :laugh:

8ogze3.gif

There will be time for "Respect" either in the post game series thread on the mains, or post game threads here on Leafs forum or in the handshake line ;).

But that time is not yet; the time now is still for WAR!

Great moments are born when great opportunity knocks. Legends are born when they rise against adversity and achieve glory!

Get ANGRY. Get READY. GO WIN!

screenshot_2024-04-20-18-54-41-2-png.857829

The way this team has played, they don't deserve the effort you put into the GDTs.

Reactions: PromisedLand

9Iron

Nov 25, 2009
Just saw the Ryan Whitney bear meme. Hard to believe there is anything left of this franchise. Roasted to the ground.

Reactions: PromisedLand

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
I kinda wish Tampa extended their series with Florida because if all the Leafs' hopes and dreams are met and they come back to win this series their reward is a team that plays a punishing physical game and who gets off on running our captain.

Unfortunately I don't see our team having the appetite to go thru all that punishment if they can take the easy way out and lose tonight imo

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
This is how Montreal felt going into game 5 against the Leafs back in 2021, and look how that series turned out.

Hey, I'm grasping at straws here.

Tbh, even with a fully healthy squad this series was over before it started. A shaky starter, a decent but not great blueline, a front-loaded team that has never figured out how to score when their opponent makes it difficult, a lack of depth to make up for it and a guarantee we'd be out-coached at every turn.

So I expect a very ugly loss tonight, so bad that I'm actually glad it's not on home ice as these guys - as disappointing as they've been - I truly feel they don't deserve the merciless booing they'd get if it was in Toronto.

What they all deserve is a fresh start somewhere else as it would be just cruel to bring this group back again for what will certainly be a brutal '24-25 season on every level. Maybe some can be convinced to waive their NMCs on that selling point: "Do you really want more of this????"
They had Carey Price. Big difference.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Blaming the fans instead of the precious core players. Give me a break. The arena was rocking on Saturday, but the Leafs laid an egg. What do you want the fans to do? What a crock.
Dude, don’t defend these losers. We’ve had to watch them choke year after year, regardless of how much we cheer. And despite all those awful years prior, they still managed to somehow show up on home ice last game and put forth the most pathetic playoff effort I’ve seen.

Aside from that, they’re professionals and grown men. They should not need us at all. It’s their job to get us into it, not the opposite. The fact that they can’t play well without us cheering shows that they’re mentally fragile and it’s one of the reasons they’ll likely never win the cup without serious changes.

Leafs fans are loud and will cheer, but this team has to give them something to cheer for. They’ve absolutely just hit rock bottom so far and don’t deserve any benefit of the doubt.

When a guy with big playoff reputation and who won conne smythe, who borned in Ontario... doesn't want to resign because of it... Maybe its time to understand than they're something else wrong outside of player by himself.

I'm living in Quebec and Montreal fan are also extremely hard on their player but sorry i never saw anytime Montreal fan bashing his own team during a playoff series ( and didn't talk about an even serie)... they supporting them team until the lost and after they doing it.

Toronto came back from Boston with a 1-1 series tie and the bashing already started. A scenario every team no exception would accept no problem at all... If you don't see anything wrong. For me that's just helping to crrate a toxic environment, nothing else.

You can ignore media and whatever on the road but at home, with your family, friends and whatever here... its impossible
Why the F should I give a rats ass about millionaire hockey players “having fun in the playoffs????

You know how Leaf players can have fun in the playoffs? Phucking win games.

Playoffs aren’t “fun”. Show up for work and win. Even then, it isn’t “fun@ until the job is done.

Come on.

Watched florida/vegas... sorry but yes they have fun. Having fun doesn't mean you dont have to work hard or whatever. Its exemple you cant wait to come on the ice to play. Not complain about your teammate but support each other...

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
Strange... the two highest players in the league also happen to be consensus finalists for League MVP.
The Rocket Richard winner was 4th. Panarin at 3rd and Pastrnak 6th were 4th and 5th in scoring.

It's almost like the best players, are paid the best, and yet somehow still keep performing. Your narrative is false on entitled brats not performing. The idea that most owners are unhappy is false, this idea is a fantasy with no backing... it wouldn't happen, and the contracts aren't the reason this isn't a top 3 league. Hockey is a niche sport, always will be... that's ok.

The other top 5 paid player won the Norris the year before.

If they continue to live up to their expectations they should continue to get paid. Last year's Norris winner got half the amount of points this season and his team didn't make the playoffs. Players should be evaluated on a year to year basis.

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014
No doubt in my mind they play the best hockey the next 2 games and then no show game 7

Whether you like Marner or not, just simply subtracting him means you now have lost:
  • A PP1 guy
  • A PK1 guy
  • A matchup guy
You now have $11M, which is nice, but you've also created 3 or 4 huge holes on your team that you aren't replacing with that $11M.

I'm all on board exploring different scenarios involving moving Marner, but I'm also only doing so if a massive high value piece is coming back in return (Ie. Tkachuk/Florida).

If that deal doesn't exist, you don't move him, try extending him on more of a discount, and re-evaluate your franchise and keep trying to make big moves.
True but that assumes we have no holes to begin with. This afraid to make changes attitude is why we’re here today.

Reactions: Evilhomer

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Partially, yes. Players know that if they don't perform they won't get paid. That's a great motivator. Meanwhile in the NHL once they've signed that motivation is gone.
Imagine a world where you don’t get paid if you don’t perform, what a novel idea……..

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
Speaking of McMann I'm tired of the radio silence on him.

It's silly. I hope the league addresses this for next season. Withholding injury details just leads to rampant speculation and leaving fans in the dark. Some will even question the player's character. (Same thing with goalies. Not naming a starter until late afternoon.... what's the point?)

If they really want to promote gambling, then they'll go the NFL route and these idiot coaches and teams will have to reveal everything.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
I've been defending him nonstop but if he doesn't play tonight ... yeah, F that
Paul Kariya got obliterated and KOed by Scott Stevens in the finals and came back and scored a 3rd period goal. If Matthews doesn't go tonight after playing all 82 games to reach 70 that wouldn't sit well with me.

Nylander not playing the first 3 games due to migraines that there are many solutions to combat is bullshit too. Maybe don't chase 100 points and not even reach it to prepare for a playoff battle. At least Marner listened to his coach and sat out last year and that culminated in a round 1 win. Just not a good look for the organization. Puts the overpaid contracts to further scrutiny.

Reactions: Phion Keneuf

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

• A PP1 guy
  • A PK1 guy
  • A matchup guy

You make good points, but Leafs have tried everything to try to help the core guys. Changed players around them many times, changed coaches, etc. but it's not working. Rewarding Marner with an extension is the wrong move also. What has all the gotten us? One lousy division title in a covid year, and one playoff series victory so far. All those points are overrated. We can move him and actually get better as a team. You don't need to replace all that with his 11M to become a better overall team.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Could be. I think things will die down over the summer and they'll hope to use next season to change the narrative.
I had thought they would extend Marner shortly after July 1st but they may let things cool down longer now.
I would expect that given all that has occurred, Marner would accept a very team friendly deal. If not, they should just cut ties IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad