GDT: Game 5 | Leafs @ Bruins | COME BACK BEGINS - WAKE UP EDITION | Tuesday, Apr. 30 7 p.m. EST | Leafs trail series 1-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
I don't see how moves can be forced. They can ask someone to leave but they aren't obligated to go along with it.

Anyway, none of this has anything to do with tonight's game. Every thread turns into the same discussion.

Since this may be the last one, it would be great if we could have a thread just dedicated to the game.
It's so easy to get off track; qw tend to look ahead. I am excited for the potential off season moves. I digress...

CJ thinks Woll will be starting. I think that is the right call. Woll will be on the roster next year, Sammy will not (or at least it's highly doubtful he is).

If we don't have Matthews, I am not sure how much of a chance we have based on the results of the other individuals so far.

Also, people claiming even Matthews at 40% is better than not having him, I do question that... we have seen a lot of Matthews playing hurt and he is not that effective.

Also assume Timmy draws back in. I thought we had already seen Brodie's last game as a Leaf, so that last game was unexpected, but played out as expected lol

Reactions: ACC1224

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
This team thrives when there is no pressure, and right now there is zero pressure on them. As such, they will win until the pressure is ramped back up, which won't be until game 7.

Imagine the pressure Boston will feel if it gets to game 7. Will be squeezing their sticks tight for sure, IMO.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Trying to find hope...this team DOES tend to have winning streaks right after a streak of playing terrible where the fans have little hope.....

7 times this season the leafs have had a 3 or more game winning streak:

-in late October, they won 3 in a row after losing 2 in a row to Chicago and Fl by a combined 7-2 score

-in mid November, they won 4 in a row after coming off of losing 5 of the previous 6 including bad losses to Ottawa and Buffalo.

-in early January, they won 4 in a row after losing 5 of the previous 6, including getting dominated by Buffalo, Ottawa and the Rangers.

-in late January they won 3 in a row after losing 5 of the previous 6.

-in mid February, they won 7 in a row after losing 2 of the previous 3.

-in late march, they won 3 in a row after losing 4 of the previous 6.

So maybe this time won't be different...but its not impossible.

None of those wins were against Boston though?

Not really sure what to expect of this team.

Probably 3 things going against them, Goaltending, Defense and Coaching.

Other than that looks good.

Reactions: myleafs

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
They need to be saved from themselves. You should be able to tear up an athlete's contract right in front of their face if they don't perform.
They need to move to the NFL MODEL of guaranteed and non-guaranteed money and a player can essentially be cut for non performance at any time.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
They need to move to the NFL MODEL of guaranteed and non-guaranteed money and a player can essentially be cut for non performance at any time.
Under what reality do you think the NHLPA would ever go for such a move? The strike on that proposal would last years... it would never happen.

This team thrives when there is no pressure, and right now there is zero pressure on them. As such, they will win until the pressure is ramped back up, which won't be until game 7.
I'm not sure about that.... another failure, dismal performances both by the team, and players... seems like plenty of pressure to perform to me.

57 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
Could be. I think things will die down over the summer and they'll hope to use next season to change the narrative.
I had thought they would extend Marner shortly after July 1st but they may let things cool down longer now.
Marner's gone dude. Just accept it.

Reactions: Kazparov

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Let's be honest, it isn't looking good for the leafs. Need to win 3 before Boston wins 1. Star players are riddled with injuries or something. Boston lost a 3-1 series lead last season, no chance they let that happen again.

Hopefully just win this game to extend the season. Maybe backs against the wall brings out a different team? If not, hopefully Keefe fired tomorrow.

Reactions: ACC1224

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Could be. I think things will die down over the summer and they'll hope to use next season to change the narrative.
I had thought they would extend Marner shortly after July 1st but they may let things cool down longer now.

Why should they extend him if they fail to reach the 2nd round? I just don't understand why you want him so bad, and why are you backing him? You like this team to become a country club where you get raises for failure?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Why should they extend him if they fail to reach the 2nd round? I just don't understand why you want him so bad, and why are you backing him?
I'm just saying what I will think will happen.

Anyway, this has nothing to do with the game tonight.

Reactions: Suntouchable13

57 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
Under what reality do you think the NHLPA would ever go for such a move? The strike on that proposal would last years... it would never happen.

I'm not sure about that.... another failure, dismal performances both by the team, and players... seems like plenty of pressure to perform to me.
No it won't and if it does, so be it. Have you noticed that the NFL is the most successful professional sports league in the world?

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
Screenshot_2024-04-30-10-32-19~2.png

The Leafs better show up tonight. It better not be a forgone conclusion that this little diving rat was right and we have to eat his words all summer. Fk that. Show the hell up. 4-1 is just as bad as a sweep. We didn't even tire them out or make them pay a price.

Ready to move on

I need something more upbeat.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
View attachment 862247

The Leafs better show up tonight. It better not be a forgone conclusion that this little diving rat was right and we have to eat his words all summer. Fk that. Show the hell up. 4-1 is just as bad as a sweep. We didn't even tire them out or make them pay a price.

I need something more upbeat.

They've typically bounced back from bad games to play well. That's one thing we can usually say about the team. Whether playing better translates to winning or even competing, we'll see.

This team just feels like they gave up. The coach looks like he gave up too. No passion or fire... just there. The quotes that they tried and all that stuff is like... ok. Good shit guys.

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
This is how Montreal felt going into game 5 against the Leafs back in 2021, and look how that series turned out.

Hey, I'm grasping at straws here.

Tbh, even with a fully healthy squad this series was over before it started. A shaky starter, a decent but not great blueline, a front-loaded team that has never figured out how to score when their opponent makes it difficult, a lack of depth to make up for it and a guarantee we'd be out-coached at every turn.

So I expect a very ugly loss tonight, so bad that I'm actually glad it's not on home ice as these guys - as disappointing as they've been - I truly feel they don't deserve the merciless booing they'd get if it was in Toronto.

What they all deserve is a fresh start somewhere else as it would be just cruel to bring this group back again for what will certainly be a brutal '24-25 season on every level. Maybe some can be convinced to waive their NMCs on that selling point: "Do you really want more of this????"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad