Game 5: Columbus vs. Chicago | 1/26 7PM EST

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
We need a thread on the top 10 controversial calls that have screwed the Jackets complete with videos. I have a feeling that our top 10 would rival any other team's top 10 and we are the youngest team (with the Wild).

Off the top of my head, in no particular order.

1) Last night's goalie interference.
2) LA clock-gate
3) Wes Walz' pants
4) Manny Malholtra's "kicked in goal" in Dallas where he was flying through the air
5) Dorsett's goal disallowed (and he got a penalty for GI) when it looked like the goalie broke his leg
6) The 'too many men' penalty that sunk the CBJ in their last playoff game (debatable call but on here due to the importance of the situation)
7) I also remember Nash getting a goal in OT against the Wild waived off due to a high stick that seemed good, but my memory is foggy on this one

Any others? For sure the CBJ top 5 would be pretty impressive.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
We need a thread on the top 10 controversial calls that have screwed the Jackets complete with videos. I have a feeling that our top 10 would rival any other team's top 10 and we are the youngest team (with the Wild).

Off the top of my head, in no particular order.

1) Last night's goalie interference.
2) LA clock-gate
3) Wes Walz' pants
4) Manny Malholtra's "kicked in goal" in Dallas where he was flying through the air
5) Dorsett's goal disallowed (and he got a penalty for GI) when it looked like the goalie broke his leg
6) The 'too many men' penalty that sunk the CBJ in their last playoff game (debatable call but on here due to the importance of the situation)
7) I also remember Nash getting a goal in OT against the Wild waived off due to a high stick that seemed good, but my memory is foggy on this one

Any others? For sure the CBJ top 5 would be pretty impressive.

8) Two powerplay goals scored on one minor penalty in San Jose.
9) The goal horn/fire going off prematurely in Calgary, causing mass confusion during which they actually did score against us (Although this one is on the very low end of the Screw Scale. I hardly even remember it)

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
8) Two powerplay goals scored on one minor penalty in San Jose.
9) The goal horn/fire going off prematurely in Calgary, causing mass confusion during which they actually did score against us (Although this one is on the very low end of the Screw Scale. I hardly even remember it)

10) Brendan Shanahan faking an injury causing the ref to blow the play dead seconds before the puck crossing the goal line for game sealing EN goal. The face off is moved to the Jackets end and the Wings score the tying goal off of the faceoff. Wings win the game in overtime. http://espn.go.com/nhl/recap?gameId=230404029

Last edited:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I sent an email to Kerry Fraser at tsn to see if he would discuss in his column

FANonymous

Nov 7, 2010
was out last night and watched the highlights this morning. Wow that's quite a terrible call. It's the kind of call that I never would've even imagined being possible in my most sarcastic "this is how the jackets get screwed" dreams. I REALLY wish there was more accountability for poor officiating.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
What was the bad call that caused Rooney to flip off our fans a couple of years ago?

Now, let's compare and contrast that list with another (albeit shorter) list - the horrible calls that have gone in the Jackets favor.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
What was the bad call that caused Rooney to flip off our fans a couple of years ago?

Now, let's compare and contrast that list with another (albeit shorter) list - the horrible calls that have gone in the Jackets favor.

I'm surprised you took the time to list them all. A few would have been sufficient :sarcasm:

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Well we lost but at least we played the right way. Entertaining game.

Mason played well. More imortantantly for most of the game the 18 skaters in front of him played hard.
Too many bad turnovers for us, led to a couple goals - also Aucoin losing his jock strap at mid ice. Wow terrible play.
RyJo, Calvert and Prospal played very well. Prospal is as close as we have to a playmaker and I think he is clearly helping the youngsters. Not a slam against prospal he's just older and with the shortened season he's still working himself into game shape.
Chicago is really a good team, holding them to 3 goals is a good effort all the way around.
I think the power play looks better. Against Detroit we were struggling just to pass the puck around the perimeter looking for a shot. Last night it seemed like we had a plan (many times a 2 man game a man on top/center trying to get Wiz (usually) on his left hand side the puck with a line to the goal. Very simple but to me it seemed more effective.

JacketFanInFL

Brick by Brick
Mar 27, 2006
Central FL
aac, another year of other teams coming in and apologizing to us. It's hockey season!

Note: Not directed at any posters, just the sad state of affairs yet again.

Cash for Nash

May 13, 2012
Well we lost but at least we played the right way. Entertaining game.

Mason played well. More imortantantly for most of the game the 18 skaters in front of him played hard.
Too many bad turnovers for us, led to a couple goals - also Aucoin losing his jock strap at mid ice. Wow terrible play.
RyJo, Calvert and Prospal played very well. Prospal is as close as we have to a playmaker and I think he is clearly helping the youngsters. Not a slam against prospal he's just older and with the shortened season he's still working himself into game shape.
Chicago is really a good team, holding them to 3 goals is a good effort all the way around.
I think the power play looks better. Against Detroit we were struggling just to pass the puck around the perimeter looking for a shot. Last night it seemed like we had a plan (many times a 2 man game a man on top/center trying to get Wiz (usually) on his left hand side the puck with a line to the goal. Very simple but to me it seemed more effective.

I would add John Moore as well. He is not much of an offensive force "yet" but what a terrific skater. Seeing him live last night you get a better perspective just how effortless his skating is and a big reason why he is never out of position. Hopefully his offensive game develops and people will begin noticing his overall game more.

He might be a rare CBJ first rounder that actually pans out.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Mason played great last night...i can't fault him on any of the three goals watching from the rafters last night...

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
10) Brendan Shanahan faking an injury causing the ref to blow the play dead seconds before the puck crossing the goal line for game sealing EN goal. The face off is moved to the Jackets end and the Wings score the tying goal off of the faceoff. Wings win the game in overtime. http://espn.go.com/nhl/recap?gameId=230404029

I can't remember the opponent, but there was the CBJ goal waived off because the ref "had the intent" to blow the whistle because he lost sight of the puck despite the puck being loose AND the whistle clearly blown after the goal scored.

and...Dallas has 5 on 3 PP, Brendan Morrow slew foots Peca and then scores goal before Peca can recover. Peca ends up suspended because he grabbed the refs elbow to argue the call.

FANonymous

Nov 7, 2010
and...Dallas has 5 on 3 PP, Brendan Morrow slew foots Peca and then scores goal before Peca can recover. Peca ends up suspended because he grabbed the refs elbow to argue the call.

To be fair, Peca always was a loose cannon and had a pretty bad reputation around the league. :sarcasm:

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
It was nice of the boys to put on an entertaining show for my return to Nationwide! I can't imagine that we would expect much more out of this bunch than to play the current best team in the league to a flatfooted standoff, only to lose on a bad call and a late turnover. Make that a steady effort and I will complain less.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad