GDT: Game 47 | Jackets at Flames "Johnny Boo-dreau amirite edition" | 1/23 9:30 pm

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits.
Nov 26, 2017
We just jumped Anaheim. Now 31st

Yeah, but we've got a home-and-home with Arizona tomorrow and Saturday before the All-Star break. Worst case scenario for you guys is likely a split; if the Ducks can't get any points out of it, serious questions need to be asked.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Those were two blatant penalties but we’ll take it.

Refs must be in on the tank. Those were 2 horrid non calls.

It looks to me like the two Jackets spun themselves out. They were just tired. Johnny actually grabbed the stick of the Flames player so if there was a penalty there it was him.

---------------------

Boys emptied the tank.

I'm not going to be surprised if a couple guys end up on IR after this one. Lots of limping going on.

Nice to see them battle.

Reactions: cslebn and CBJx614

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Yeah, but we've got a home-and-home with Arizona tomorrow and Saturday before the All-Star break. Worst case scenario for you guys is likely a split; if the Ducks can't get any points out of it, serious questions need to be asked.
I wonder how many last minute "injury" reports we're going to get from both teams before the games.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
It looks to me like the two Jackets spun themselves out. They were just tired. Johnny actually grabbed the stick of the Flames player so if there was a penalty there it was him.

---------------------

Boys emptied the tank.

I'm not going to be surprised if a couple guys end up on IR after this one. Lots of limping going on.

Nice to see them battle.
Don't forget the time difference from West to East, even 2 hours, and also that Johnny played 22:54, Patrik 22:11, and Calgary played hard, great forechecking, they have an experienced team, defense, and a quality system. We have too young. Blankenburg, Peeke, Boqvist, Berni - players under 25 years, Blanks and Andy will have 25 only this year. Laine, Bemstrom, Marchenko, Johnson, Dillinger - players under 25 years in offense, Patrik will have 25 this year.

Btw, Korpi was great, simply great.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

---------------------

Boys emptied the tank.

Nice to see them battle.
Not by my eyes.

Reactions: cslebn

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Best case scenario honestly, guys fight back and take it to OT but don't get the extra point.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016

---------------------

Boys emptied the tank.

Nice to see them battle.
They might have been tired, but the speed Laine spinned tells that the hook by Calgary skater was quite substantial and for sure those must be called 10 times out of 10. But maybe feferees thought about eg. that Huberdeau call that was pretty weak and could have been an interference call for Nyquist.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Couldn't watch the game but just checked the goals. Man that Laine goal was nice to see and a testament to fast puck movement. But the real highlight is that mile high saucer by Johnny and insane shot by Laine, that was not an easy pass for a one-timer. Now imagine a point man who would also move the puck fast?

The PP goal by Marchenko was a good example of what having a 2nd shooting threat does. Great finish and he's left all alone because everyone's attention is on Laine in the slot. That didn't come after zone time, but again, having a good puck mover at the point combined with Gaudreau, Laine & Marchenko/Chinny and the PP should be great. Even as it is I'm honestly a bit baffled why it has been as bad as it has.

I think Boone is legit and a player who has taken the next step with increased responsibility. Like I said didn't watch the game, but according to stats again made any line he played in better and has shown he's able to keep up offensively when playing with two good wingers. Just a great player to have in your team because he can play pretty much anywhere and get the job done.

Roslovic with 9 minutes TOI? Did he get hurt or did he just suck and it was reflected in his TOI this time around because this was a game where they actually wanted to win? Because he's been playing mostly 1st line minutes since the xmas break.

Ridiculous OT goal "Laine spins and falls" lol.. hooking anyone?

Reactions: majormajor

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
My takeaways on a few things I saw

That ice looked like shit last night
The pucks looked warm the way they bounced
The refs didn't want to call anything from 10 remaining in the 3rd on. Goodness they ere terrible.

Glad the boys made a game of it.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Our UFA goalie played well. But he is a UFA, so I guess that is good for next year’s tank. Would be interesting if the return for Korpi is better than the return for Bjorkstrand. (I don’t think this will happen, but maybe.)

Laine and Marchenko on the PP together will be deadly at some point in the future but not while Larsen is coaching.

I thought Bemstrom looked completely lost a couple of times. There was one time in the defensive zone where he had the puck and could have skated it out but he passed it to a defenseman who was surprised by the pass which led to a turnover. Don’t know if that was scheme and they weren’t on the same page or just a bad pass, but I was wondering why he passed it.

Jenner looked good.

I hope Olivier is ok. Last year this game would have been ugly with the Flames going after our guys and nothing would have been done about it. But this game was kept under control by Olivier and other guys (Gud, Peeke, Boone). Instead of becoming a game of whack-a-Jacket, the game quickly returned to normal hockey.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Roslovic with 9 minutes TOI? Did he get hurt or did he just suck and it was reflected in his TOI this time around because this was a game where they actually wanted to win? Because he's been playing mostly 1st line minutes since the xmas break.

The bolded. Larsen probably got tired of watching him whiffing on pucks, making bad passes, having multiple turnovers and being out of position in DZ. I think he sucked at faceoffs as well.

My takeaway from this and many other previous games is they can't go into next year with him as a center.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Our UFA goalie played well. But he is a UFA, so I guess that is good for next year’s tank. Would be interesting if the return for Korpi is better than the return for Bjorkstrand. (I don’t think this will happen, but maybe.)

Laine and Marchenko on the PP together will be deadly at some point in the future but not while Larsen is coaching.

I thought Bemstrom looked completely lost a couple of times. There was one time in the defensive zone where he had the puck and could have skated it out but he passed it to a defenseman who was surprised by the pass which led to a turnover. Don’t know if that was scheme and they weren’t on the same page or just a bad pass, but I was wondering why he passed it.

Jenner looked good.

I hope Olivier is ok. Last year this game would have been ugly with the Flames going after our guys and nothing would have been done about it. But this game was kept under control by Olivier and other guys (Gud, Peeke, Boone). Instead of becoming a game of whack-a-Jacket, the game quickly returned to normal hockey.
Be honestly, our PP is better and better. Still score from very good chances. It's easy. Larsen is inexperienced like the whole staff. Everybody learns on his/her mistakes.
Roslovic... we have many wingers and better than him. He isn't ideal center yet. I don't know what to do it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad