GDT: Game 46 - Winnipeg Jets @ Toronto Maple Leafs - Thursday, January 19th, 2023 - 6:00pm CST - TSN3 - CJOB/POWER 97

Status
Not open for further replies.

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
Tonight, the Winnipeg Jets find themselves in Toronto to take on the Maple Leafs at Scotiabank Arena. The Jets are coming off of an embarrassing 4-1 loss at the hands of the Montreal Canadiens but are still 8-2 in their last ten games and 29-15-1 overall. The Maple Leafs beat the Paul (didn't even make it past the first post without mentioning him) Maurice's Florida Panthers 5-4 in overtime and are now 5-4-1 in their last ten games and 27-11-7 on the season. Can Winnipeg bounce back from the loss to the Habs and beat the Leafs? Can Auston Matthews really look in a mirror and not see Ron Jeremy staring back at him? Will this game be the Leaf Fans “Stanley Cup” as you know damn well they will be golfing by the end of April? Can @kanadalainen come up with another stellar Shakespearean post? These questions, as well as a few others, may be answered in today's GDT...

Toronto-skyline.jpg

We all know Toronto is famous for a lot of things, like being the “Centre of the Universe”, well, at least in THEIR minds. But there are a lot of more interesting facts that you may not know about Hogtown which we will explore in the latest edition of...

Learnding with Mac.jpg

The name “Toronto” is derived from the Mohawk word “tkaronto” which translates to “where there are trees standing in the water”. It is referred to the stretch of land between Lake Simcoe and Lake Couchiching, located just north of Toronto. This was recorded as early as 1615 by Samuel de Champlain.

Indigenous people have occupied the area known today as Toronto since shortly after the last ice age because it is the entrance to one of the oldest routes to the northwest. The Indigenous peoples who lived in Toronto include the Missisaugas of the Credit, the Anishnabeg, the Chippewa, the Haudenosaunee (also known as the Mohawk peoples), and the Wendat.

During the American Revolutionary War, British settlers began to migrate to this area. They were granted land by the Crown and the new province of Upper Canada was created. The town of York was founded in 1793 and it was designated as the capital of Upper Canada. It officially became Toronto in 1834...

Cx0NbF5XUAIBXDJ.jpg

The year was 1914, and the legendary slugger Babe Ruth was a 19-year-old rookie playing for the minor league Providence Grays. He hit his first professional home run at Maple Leaf Park at Hanlan’s Point, where a historical plaque now marks the event...

5884479efa5399aa89666145e9c5c83e.jpg

The residents of Ontario’s charming small towns might be overheard saying that Toronto is a concrete, urban jungle – but there’s also real foliage, too. In fact, recent statistics state that Toronto is actually over 25% forest coverage, which is no small feat for a big North American city.

Further to that point, over 18% of the total city’s area is devoted to parks. Who knew...

t.o.%20trees.JPG

Toronto is home to North America’s only real castle: Casa Loma. It was built by Sir Henry Pallett in the early 1900s. It was used to film scenes for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, X-Men, and Beauty and the Beast. On a side note, while visiting my brother, we went sightseeing and walked everywhere, and the last stop was Casa Loma. While climbing the stairs, I collapsed from exhaustion and had to be helped to a chair. Needless to say, we took a taxi back to his place...

casaloma-1-1.jpg

Winnipeg engineer John Hopps developed the first artificial pacemaker, a life-saving medical device, in 1950 while doing his assignment at the Banting Institute at the University of Toronto. The pacemaker was first planted on a human body in 1958. John Alexander “Jack” Hopps was also the founder of the Canadian Medical and Biological Engineering Society and was called the Father of biomedical engineering in Canada...

BCMJ_Vol59_No1_pacemaker-fig2.JPG

So, this one is a little contentious. As many will know, Yonge Street used to be considered the longest street in the world according to the Guinness Book of World Records. Well, apparently in recent years, Guinness has noted that one part of Yonge is actually a separate highway. It's still pretty long, though, just not as long at the Maple Leafs' Stanley Cup drought...

ZmPyAfncbjms9aqUY4j5HH-u8lZnokcp7kwSRKvgHt8zOTWGDgNLDKccl33Mp1jl6u7RBnTIDqFM61XfHX47A9-1wjwVAQ=s1024

The PATH is the largest underground shopping complex in the world and is made up of a collection of tunnels and walkways that connect some 70 buildings in downtown Toronto. There are apparently over 1200 retail stores in the PATH. In total there are over 30 kilometres of underground space.

While it is a bit different at this present moment, in the recent past, over 200,000 residents and workers were using the PATH on a daily basis...

toronto-path.jpg

The Toronto Public Library offers an incredible service to Torontonians, and it’s something that citizens take advantage of. In fact, the TPL has a higher circulation per capital than any other public library system in the world.

In total, there are over 100 branch libraries, and over 10 million items in the Toronto Public Library collection. That's a lot of reading...

malvern-library-exterior.jpg

Bonnie and Clyde are the most famous rodents in Canada – and perhaps the most famous Capybaras in the world! In 2016, the two capybaras escaped from the zoo at High Park and went on a one month “crime spree” (hidden adventure) in the park. Eventually, they were captured when the zookeepers realized one kept coming home each night but found the gate closed. They opened it and used her to lure her friend back...

0526capybara.jpg

One unique landmark that you can find in Toronto is a house that’s been sawed in half. Its address is 54 1/2 St. Patrick St. One half of the house was sold to a developer (and is no longer here) while the other remains there to this day...

ec9b6338cf4436743cd800ff3fd62a9c.jpg

Did you know that cursing and swearing are illegal in Toronto parks? Those found swearing or being impolite and rude in the Toronto parks are charged a fine. That doesn't seem to help, I'm afraid...

poster-l2c.jpg

Pizza Pizza was founded in Etobicoke the same year the Leafs won the Stanley Cup. Since 1967, Pizza Pizza has flourished, but the Leafs haven’t won another cup. Coincidence...

1200px-Pizza_Pizza_at_DVP_Onramp.jpg

Looks like we need to support Pizza Pizza more and keep the streak going! :naughty: Go Jets Go! :hockey:

Thanks to: 15 Fun Facts About Toronto: Fascinating Toronto Fun Facts Shared By A Former Tour Guide, 55 Fun Facts About Toronto, Canada + Interesting Facts!, 77 Fun and Interesting Facts about Toronto that Might Surprise You - Your Destination is Everywhere, Interesting Facts About Toronto Canada : Top 22

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Ahh Charanna. How we know thee. Heavy lacustrine deposition, yo; thy burnished facade (upon close inspection) reveals a plethora of organic material (with just a hint of hydrogen sulphide reek) slathered over all and sundry, and attitude to match.

Hola and thanks @macmaroon for the ongoing GDT journey through the vaunted corridors of *whassup*.

Can the Jets emerge from the gyttja of Lake Ontario's primordial ooze? Attend.

Go forth Jets. Flex thy collective biceps with wanton abandon; shake thy privates in their general direction. Its PLD/Ehlers/Schuffles/Hell boy time.

giphy.gif

:jets:jets:jets:jets:)

Last edited:

kanadalainen

Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
tattooed-shakespeare-mathew-mcfarren.jpg

That time of year thou mayst in Keefe behold
And yellow’d Leaves, to be slain, do hang
Upon the host at Scotiabank which rage against the cold,
Bare electric choirs, to tunes the sweet Jets sang.
In me thou see’st the highlights of such day
As after Marner fadeth like a drunken guest;
Which by and by Pierre-Luc’s chopped wood doth take away,
Oouston’s top shelf, (yo Helly seals against their best).
In Nikky thou see’st the glowing of such fire,
That on the ashes of Leaves D doth lie,
And Charanna’s death-bed, whereon they must expire,
Consum’d with that which it was nourish’d by.
This our Jets perceiv’st, which makes our cheer more strong,
To Answer the bell, and to hose yon Leaves ere long.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-01-19 at 5.24.38 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-01-19 at 5.24.38 AM.png
    399.2 KB · Views: 4

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Hopefully the team has a good game tonight. Still in Dominican so I won’t be watching the game “AGAIN”. Always like visiting Toronto, good city to do business in, I didn’t really ever want to live in Toronto but I have lots of friends who love it.

Back to the task at hand. This is a really good challenge for our team.

GJG

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Ah, a game played in "Central" Canada.

I loved Casa Loma as a kid, thanks for the memories. It's been probably 50 years since I visited it, but I can still envision certain parts of it. But I consider Toronna to be a fly through (vs a fly over) anyway. The shitshow that is Pearson is only to be encountered when all other options fail.

Hope the boys stayed sober enough last night to not embarrass themselves again.

GJG. Let's see if you can keep me engaged for the full three periods this evening.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
These games are always interesting. I'm less worried about the result tonight than wanting to see a better effort than Tuesday. Leafs are a tough game at home.
Yup, that's my attitude. I want to see the team get back on track. If they manage the puck like they did in Montreal or won't be pretty, but I see both helle and the rest of the boys having a nice bounce back game.

Right now, it's about learning from mistakes and continuing to commit fundamentals of our systems to muscle memory.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Ah, a game played in "Central" Canada.

I loved Casa Loma as a kid, thanks for the memories. It's been probably 50 years since I visited it, but I can still envision certain parts of it. But I consider Toronna to be a fly through (vs a fly over) anyway. The shitshow that is Pearson is only to be encountered when all other options fail.

Hope the boys stayed sober enough last night to not embarrass themselves again.

GJG. Let's see if you can keep me engaged for the full three periods this evening.
Pearson is the worst airport I've ever traveled through, and that includes ORD, DFW, JFK And ATL.

Having said that, Toronto is a gorgeous city.

kanadalainen

Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
I spent 3 years training in Charanna during my misspent youth. The pub crawls were decent, sometimes legendary. Fran's restaurant near Avenue and St. Clair saved me occasionally from my own cooking, and provided nonstop coffee while I wrote up my results. Steve's music on Queen St. offered up some lovely guitars. I saw a zillion Jays games from some prime seats on the third base line because my director was always too busy to make the games.

Leaves? We would buy scalped tix for $10 after the first period. The Leaves were usually down a couple by then. Ah, memories.

Time for work. Which means its a good time for some Clutch (hydridized grind core/metal/alt always gets my blood boiling just in time for work).

EDIT: watch the drummer, this guy can hit

Last edited:

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Ahh Charanna. How we know thee. Heavy lacustrine deposition, yo; thy burnished facade (upon close inspection) reveals a plethora of organic material (with just a hint of hydrogen sulphide reek) slathered over all and sundry, and attitude to match.

Hola and thanks @macmaroon for the ongoing GDT journey through the vaunted corridors of *whassup*.

Go forth Jets. Flex thy collective biceps with wanton abandon; shake thy privates in their general direction. Its PLD/Ehlers/Schuffles/Hell boy ti:)

Go forth Jets. Flex thy collective biceps with wanton abandon; shake thy privates in their general direction. Its PLD/Ehlers/Schuffles/Hell boy time.

giphy.gif

:jets:jets:jets:jets:)

640px-HAL9000_I%27m_Sorry_Dave_Motivational_Poster.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes