GDT: Game 45 - Winnipeg Jets @ Montreal Canadiens - Tuesday, January 17th, 2023 - 6:00pm CST - TSN3 - CJOB/POWER 97

Status
Not open for further replies.

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
This evening, the Winnipeg Jets are in La Belle Province to take on the Montreal Canadiens at Centre Bell. The Jets have won three in a row, including a 2-1 squeaker of a win against the Arizona Coyotes in their last game. The team is now 8-2 in their last ten games and 29-14-1 on the season. The Canadiens are coming off of a 2-1 victory over the New York Rangers and are 3-7 in their last ten games and 18-23-3 on the season. Will the “Former Forum” fans continue to feud with Mark Scheifele and his family with fisticuffs? Will John Lu and Dan Robertson become homesick and eat their weight in Montreal-style bagels and smoked meat? Will @snowkiddin see the light and pick Winnipeg for once in the Prediction Contest? These and many other questions may be answered in this latest GDT. Stay tuned...

expos-back-to-montreal.jpg

Many of us know that Montreal was once home to the 1976 Summer Olympics and Major League Baseball's Expos, but here are a few facts that you may not know in the latest instalment of...

Learnding with Mac.jpg

Montréal is the largest of over 200 islands that make up the Hochelaga Archipelago. Many of the islands are uninhabited (not counting adorable wildlife) and some even make up a “national” park, Parc national des Îles-de-Boucherville, which, despite its official name, is a provincial park....

Archipel_Hochelaga.PNG

Did you know that John Lennon’s song Give Peace a Chance was written in Montreal during his ‘bed-in’ at the Queen Elizabeth Hotel on June 1st 1969? This hotel has welcomed many famous guests including Queen Elizabeth II, Fidel Castro, Charles de Gaulle, Princess Grace of Monaco, Indira Gandhi, Nelson Mandela, Dalai Lama and John Travolta. However, the hotel gained its international recognition when John Lennon, who had been refused entry in the USA, conducted his bed-in in Room 1742 and wrote Give Peace a Chance there. This song would later become an anthem of the American anti-war movement...

John-Lennon-Yoko-Ono-bed-peace-2.jpg

Montreal is build around Mont Royal, from where the city received its name. Mont Royal Park, located on the mountain, was designed by Frederick Law Olmsted, the same person who designed New York City's Central Park. No building in Montreal can be taller than the famous Cross found on Mont Royal...

caption.jpg

The Montreal Tower (formerly Olympic Tower) is the world’s tallest inclined structure, at 175 m (574 ft). It leans at an angle of 45° (compare that to the Leaning Tower of Pisa, which leans at 4°, and is one-third the height)...

olympic.jpg

Barbie Expo Montreal is the world’s largest permanent exposition of Barbie dolls, with over 1000 unique Barbies on display...

barbie-expo-disolay-cases.jpg.webp

Youppi! was the first mascot to be thrown out of a Major League Baseball game: during the 1989 Expos season, on August 23 while atop the visitors' dugout in the 11th inning, Youppi! took a running leap, landing hard and noisily on its roof, and then sneaked into a front row seat. Los Angeles Dodgers manager Tommy Lasorda complained to the umpires and Youppi! was ejected by Bob Davidson, though he later returned, confined to the home team's dugout roof, as Montreal eventually lost 1–0 in 22 innings...

It's quite fitting that in a city like Montreal, where snow drops 'til April, would an invention like the snowblower first be used. And that's exactly the case, as folks in Outremont were the first to utilize Arthur Sicard's invention in the winter of 1927...

SicardSnowBlower.jpg

A “mulligan” in golf lingo is when a player gets a second chance to hit the ball, and it was coined in honour of David Mulligan during the 1920s. After a long drive across the Victoria bridge towards the Montreal Country Club golf course, Mulligan's friends gave him a second chance to hit his tee off when his initial drive was far worse than his usual. The term is still used today...

s412049918979118993_p65_i1_w712.jpeg

Let's hope the Jets "ace" this game against the Habs, a little "birdie" told me so... Go Jets Go! :hockey:

Thanks to: 10 Facts About Montreal, 115 Facts Magnifiques about Montreal (2023 Data!) - Fun World Facts, 10 Facts About Montreal | GEOS Montreal, and 40 Montreal Mind Blowing Facts You Never Knew About

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Would sure be nice to beat the villainous Habs tonight...and then beat the villainous Laffs on Thursday. :nod:

So many villans in Canada, who knew?

200w.gif

witch-queen-laugh.gif

Thanks @macmaroon - I like visiting Montreal, lots of friends there. But I sincerely wish the Jets many goals in a solid crushing of the p'tit gars de chez Montreal.

Go Jets! COELACANTHS ARISE.... PLD, SCHUFFLES, PERFECTO - Smash, liquifey, descale, immolate, exfoliate, emulsify, emasculate.

2e90e9b2e612738b92a94e8047e88afd8d3a0573.gif

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
tattooed-shakespeare-mathew-mcfarren.jpg

My beer glass is now filled with liquid gold,
Percept lends a surging youth and jaunty walking gate;
And in mine Jets’ time another win I behold,
Exchang’d for Habs’ collapse this game should expiate.
For all that beauty that doth cover Helly
Is bolster’d by the raiment of the Jets’ collective heart,
Which in a beast doth live, in Shuffles, Lurch and PLD:
While the Habs’ center group is but a bovine shart?
O, therefore, p’tit gars, be of thyself so wary
As I, not for myself, but for thee will;
Bear thy offense, defaced this year by Slafkovsky
And mark yon Savard top D pairing ill.
Presume not on thy glee when thine is slain;
Thou give’st wins, to maintain the standings lain.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
tattooed-shakespeare-mathew-mcfarren.jpg

My beer glass is now filled with liquid gold,
Percept lends a surging youth and jaunty walking gate;
And in mine Jets’ time another win I behold,
Exchang’d for Habs’ collapse this game should expiate.
For all that beauty that doth cover Helly
Is bolster’d by the raiment of the Jets’ collective heart,
Which in a beast doth live, in Shuffles, Lurch and PLD:
While the Habs’ center group is but a bovine shart?
O, therefore, p’tit gars, be of thyself so wary
As I, not for myself, but for thee will;
Bear thy offense, defaced this year by Slafkovsky
And mark yon Savard top D pairing ill.
Presume not on thy glee when thine is slain;
Thou give’st wins, to maintain the standings lain.
Line 1
It’s a bit early but who am I to judge :sarcasm:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I dislike the Habs so much. And the fans I meet in person are usually complete clowns (not all of them, ofc). Hoping for a complete domination on the Jets behalf...although Habs fans would love that lol.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Games out east always seem to be tough so I expect this game will be high on the clinch factor scale.
Many Habs fans were posting that they hoped they would lose this game to us but beat Florida (to improve the 1st round pick they had already acquired from them).

If the Jets can only win one game between now and Thursday I would take the win over the Leafs.
The Jets have a fairly strong record against the top teams in the league and it would be nice to add a victory over the villains from Toronto.

The Jets have been so good this year that instead of just one win...
giphy.gif

Hoping to still be in 1st place in the west after tonight's game.
Dubois with the hat trick to troll Montreal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad