Post-Game Talk: GAME #44 | Canucks 1 @ Stars 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Getting outshot 3 to 2 while doing so doesn't say "dominated" to me.

when we outshoot our opponents and lose, I am told all that matters is the final score :laugh:

hell, we outshot the Stars 38-30 tonight and most people were claiming that we got dominated

Nov 1, 2011
That might be a problem :laugh:

I don't gamble often, very very rarely, but I had a hot streak this week, i blew it. Should have cashed out :laugh:

Let's be honest, what you did isn't blowing it, blowing it is when you forget to place a bet because you didn't wake up early enough which failed to close your chase so instead of winning you failed to make a $12K bet.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, for the guys saying we have too many scrubs and mismatched lines...we are missing something like $16M worth of players right now including two top 6 wingers and all our RHD. Of course we have scrubs in the lineup.

I just hope we get healthy before the playoffs and I don't really care if we have to dress only a lineup of:

Wiese - Schroeder - Sestito
Barker - Vandermeer
Luongo

If it's experimentation time, I hope we try Raymond - Roy - Kassian...seems like it would work. Wiese - Kesler - Hansen should be okay since all of their goals will likely be bang and crash plays...let's the Kesler line simplify which I think they need to do.

to get there...I know we haven't clinched but I think we'll be okay.

The guys *****ing about how we are playing now are probably the same people who say that the President's trophies were meaningless and that the regular season means nothing when we're winning.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Canucks didn't get dominated. They imploded.

depends how you look at it, every "dominating game" could also be considered a defensive failure by the other. Most often both are true, and it just depends what team you cheer for.

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
The guys *****ing about how we are playing now are probably the same people who say that the President's trophies were meaningless and that the regular season means nothing when we're winning.

As an end goal, they're meaningless. As one measure of a team, they're not.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Let's be honest, what you did isn't blowing it, blowing it is when you forget to place a bet because you didn't wake up early enough which failed to close your chase so instead of winning you failed to make a $12K bet.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, for the guys saying we have too many scrubs and mismatched lines...we are missing something like $16M worth of players right now including two top 6 wingers and all our RHD. Of course we have scrubs in the lineup.

I just hope we get healthy before the playoffs and I don't really care if we have to dress only a lineup of:

Wiese - Schroeder - Sestito
Barker - Vandermeer
Luongo

If it's experimentation time, I hope we try Raymond - Roy - Kassian...seems like it would work. Wiese - Kesler - Hansen should be okay since all of their goals will likely be bang and crash plays...let's the Kesler line simplify which I think they need to do.

to get there...I know we haven't clinched but I think we'll be okay.

I am proud of this team's regular season accomplishments over the last few years. I'll never subscribe to the theory that Art Ross trophies and Hart trophies and Presidents' Trophies are meaningless. However, I think I've officially crossed that bridge into "None of that matters anymore" territory. I just want to see a team with the balls and the determination to win it all, at this point. I'm sick of watching a team that implodes when things aren't going right.

Barring another Cup run this year, I want to see some big changes that go beyond player personnel. It would please me to see a culture change reminiscent of when Burke traded for Luongo, brought in AV and brought in Willie Mitchell. Bringing in a good haul of new talent at this year's draft will be nice as well.

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
depends how you look at it, every "dominating game" could also be considered a defensive failure by the other. Most often both are true, and it just depends what team you cheer for.

However you describe it, the Canucks haven't been on the winning side of one of these games against a playoff team in a while.

Nov 1, 2011
As an end goal, they're meaningless. As one measure of a team, they're not.

Sure they are.

Our team today isn't the team that is going to be entering the playoffs. We should get at least 3 or 4 players back that we don't currently have which changes all but our top line and all but our top defensive pair.

Also, look at last year, we went 8-1 in our last nine games then got destroyed in our first two games of our 1st round playoff series before losing in 5.

The games we are playing now are pretty much meaningless and I hope we simply get through them without suffering any more injuries.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Been saying this for a while now but once again, if 2 of Barker, Ballard and Alberts are in the lineup playing regular minutes in the playoffs, there's absolutely zero chance the Canucks will move past first round.

It's disgusting to see Barker night after night. I've honestly never seen a worse NHL player who is supposed to play more than 3 minutes a game. Has to be the slowest and stupidest player in the league, and it's an absolute disgrace to see him in a Canucks sweater. I have no idea what they are even thinking to keep on playing him. It's like they want to lose.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
just beat Nashville 5-2 not too long ago, dunno what your standards are though.

cool to go in as an underdog, and who cares if we are hated?

Oh wooo. We can dominate bottom feeders like Nashville and Calgary.

This team has only scored more than 2 goals in a game against a playoff team once in almost two months.

MrShift4

GRRRR.......Babe
Aug 17, 2011
Calgary
Can someone please inform this team that a game of hockey is 3 periods long and you have to play the 20 minutes of each of those periods!!

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
Sure they are.

As one measure of a team, it's not meaningless.

Our team today isn't the team that is going to be entering the playoffs. We should get at least 3 or 4 players back that we don't currently have which changes all but our top line and all but our top defensive pair.

I'm not questioning just the recent roster. The full lineup hasn't been good enough since about Dec. '11.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
The team will start doing a lot better when Higgins comes back.

We need Roy at C to give us 3 scoring lines. Roy needs someone who can read off the little plays he makes - thats not Kesler.

The biggest concern is the play of our depth, Barker is not an NHL dman. Ebbet/Weise cannot play in the top 9. Gillis really should've brought in an extra dman.

I'm worried that the Canucks are trying to save energy (or whatever they did last season). The problem is they couldn't flip a switch in one game. It took us until game 3 to play up to par. I hope we use the CHI - ANA - EDM games to tune up our intensity.

arsmaster*

Been saying this for a while now but once again, if 2 of Barker, Ballard and Alberts are in the lineup playing regular minutes in the playoffs, there's absolutely zero chance the Canucks will move past first round.

It's disgusting to see Barker night after night. I've honestly never seen a worse NHL player who is supposed to play more than 3 minutes a game. Has to be the slowest and stupidest player in the league, and it's an absolute disgrace to see him in a Canucks sweater. I have no idea what they are even thinking to keep on playing him. It's like they want to lose.

If two of them are in we're fine, its when we have to dress 3 of them that the problems arise (especially because Edler isn't very good at holding the fort with a weak partner).

Ballard and Alberts are a fine pairing.

My 10 year old daughter asked me 2 minutes into the game if Cam Barker is the worst player in NHL history. I said no. But I hate his guts. She tells me he looks identical to an elf from Arthur Christmas.

It's not that he is slow either. I was discussing this with my brother in law, it seems he doesn't have a single competitive bone in his body. Like why doesn't he try?

Why is he always 'pyloned', why doesn't he pivot out of his backwards skating when its clear even to 10 year old girls that he's going to get beat wide.

I hate him, and it scares me this front office thinks he's an adequate depth option. I griped about him when he was invited to camp, when he was signed, after his first game....there is really no added benefit to having him over a guy like MA Gragnani.

I honestly can't see how anyone on the farm could be any worse. He brings nothing to the table.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
The team will start doing a lot better when Higgins comes back.

We need Roy at C to give us 3 scoring lines. Roy needs someone who can read off the little plays he makes - thats not Kesler.

The biggest concern is the play of our depth, Barker is not an NHL dman. Ebbet/Weise cannot play in the top 9. Gillis really should've brought in an extra dman.

I'm worried that the Canucks are trying to save energy (or whatever they did last season). The problem is they couldn't flip a switch in one game. It took us until game 3 to play up to par. I hope we use the CHI - ANA - EDM games to tune up our intensity.

I actually think Roy and Kesler have looked decent together, but IMO, Roy is better suited to centering the third unit. Ebbett is playing way over his head there, and the fourth line of Sestito/Lapierre/Ebbett was playing some strong hockey before they got broken up.

The lineup I would like to see - with our current injury issues - is this;

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Burrows
- Self explanatory. This unit consistently works well together, and right now, we need something consistent.

Hansen - Kesler - Kassian
- Kassian has some skills and likes to set up plays. Loosen his leash and let him play with Kesler, perhaps our top trigger-man, for a bit. Hansen's speed and forechecking will hopefully help the line get to loose pucks.

Raymond - Roy - Weise
- This is not entirely ideal. Raymond is another guy that likes to shoot, so pairing him with Roy makes sense. Weise is ideally suited for the fourth line, but in the absence of Higgins, he's the best option.

Ebbett - Lapierre - Sestito
- Ebbett and Lapierre were showing some good chemistry prior to being broken up. Put them back together. Weise is the ideal linemate here, but again, Sestito draws in because of injuries. Neither he nor Pinizzotto are really doing their jobs effectively, from where I sit - makes me miss Volpatti. But nonetheless, this will do for now.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Are you seriously bringing up a 1-0 win from a MONTH ago?

We have only played 3 playoff teams in that time span, by saying that it has been a month, while mostly true, is disingenuous because it implies we have played a lot of games against playoff teams in that time.

5-1 is a pasting

but I was told earlier that if you get outshot, you can't dominate a game...

hmm interesting

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Oh wooo. We can dominate bottom feeders like Nashville and Calgary.

This team has only scored more than 2 goals in a game against a playoff team once in almost two months.

Who cares as long as we win?

Would you rather us not dominate bottom feeders? I was asked for the last game we dominated and I gave it.

Wheatley

We Rabite You
Sep 24, 2010
Hansen - Kesler - Kassian
- Kassian has some skills and likes to set up plays. Loosen his leash and let him play with Kesler, perhaps our top trigger-man, for a bit. Hansen's speed and forechecking will hopefully help the line get to loose pucks.

What is this magical "leash" that people keep referring to, and what exactly does it do?

Does it control Kassian in some way, and make him not shoot, score, hit, or basically do anything to contribute to the team?

If so, then yes, we should definitely loosen this magical leash, as it's clearly working to perfection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad