GDT: Game 44: Avs @ Sharks | Saturday, January 21st, 8:30pm MT | Just Another Day

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
I've been skeptical of the idea of trading Duchene, but after that game you have to wonder if he knows something we don't about how long he has left in this uniform. Everybody has bad games, but I've never seen him so lethargic out there.

Today was the first time I've seen him look like he didn't really care

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Also I feel like Duchene and Landeskog both finally realized they are both good behind the goal line for once in their ****ing million years on the damn team together. Never understood their complete lack of chemistry to the level of anti-chemistry. They both play a nasty game down low, and I feel like they are on the verg of clicking based on that.

Duchene didn't play that well, but I still feel like that line as a whole had a good game.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Frustrating seeing Mackinnon try to force a pass there in OT which wasn't really available. He did the same thing on Grigo's goal but ended up getting a lucky bounce. When you're in a prime shooting position, have a release like Mackinnon does and your only other option is a low percentage pass you need to shoot the damn puck.

Looked like he was shooting all the way on Grigorenko's goal. It just got pokechecked away by the sliding defenseman.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Looked like he was shooting all the way on Grigorenko's goal. It just got pokechecked away by the sliding defenseman.

He wasn't shooting. His attempt was on the ice and going right for Rantanen until it deflected back to Grigo. If that was a **** attempt it would have been a blazer on the ice headed right for the corner.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I don't think Eric Gelinas is very good, but I imagine he's close to losing it right now. 4 minutes last game, 8 minutes tonight when the Avs are missing their top 2 defenseman. I think they could probably play him a bit more than that.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I don't think Eric Gelinas is very good, but I imagine he's close to losing it right now. 4 minutes last game, 8 minutes tonight when the Avs are missing their top 2 defenseman. I think they could probably play him a bit more than that.

Good, Bigras needs to be in the NHL anyways.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
He wasn't shooting. His attempt was on the ice and going right for Rantanen until it deflected back to Grigo. If that was a **** attempt it would have been a blazer on the ice headed right for the corner.

To me it looked like the defenseman got in there before he could even do anything. In the end it worked though. :laugh:

I'm pretty sure he was coming out of the lineup after that awful game against the Hawks but Bednar has been forced to play him because of Barrie's injury.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
To me it looked like the defenseman got in there before he could even do anything. In the end it worked though. :laugh:

I'm pretty sure he was coming out of the lineup after that awful game against the Hawks but Bednar has been forced to play him because of Barrie's injury.

They are not forced to do anything, since they could have brought Bigras up easily.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Couldn't watch the game because it was blacked out on nhl.TV (I'm in the Sharks area) and sling TV doesn't have csn. Glad to hear they played decently, though I am worried about Duchene and how he's playing. Sounds like maybe all the trade stuff has gotten to him.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
Couldn't watch the game because it was blacked out on nhl.TV (I'm in the Sharks area) and sling TV doesn't have csn. Glad to hear they played decently, though I am worried about Duchene and how he's playing. Sounds like maybe all the trade stuff has gotten to him.

Which is why you don't leak stuff like that even if you truly are shopping him. Stupid franchise and their stupidity just keeps stacking up.

At this point he probably hopes he's traded along with lots of other people

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I am glad that Zadorov is getting all his bad mistakes out of the way here and now. Throwing the puck up the boards like that is just stupidity at the highest level. I have nothing good to say about MacKinnon there either, these are the type of plays of why are the worst team. Laziness at its highest order.

But I will spin it positively because since the five day bye week, Avs are playing some actual decent hockey. Is some of it boring? Absolutely like that second period, but they're passing with some skill, hanging on in the games, and notably reading the play better. Don't get me wrong that the season is totally lost, but you want to see them battle hard through adversity. You want them to compete and string together points even if that comes with wins or at least getting the game into overtime.

Which is why you don't leak stuff like that even if you truly are shopping him. Stupid franchise and their stupidity just keeps stacking up.

At this point he probably hopes he's traded along with lots of other people

Avs aren't leaking any rumours, everyone is getting their information from other teams that Avs have talk to.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

That sucks, because this was one of maybe a handful of games that was really worth watching all season. They didn't win, but I actually enjoyed watching this game. They thoroughly out played a top level playoff team.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Throwing it up the boards for Z wasn't the best play, but the two forwards on the ice went to change, and he had two Sharks players on him, so he didn't exactly have an outlet.

They sure did miss Barrie in the 3 on 3.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Who is trying to convince you otherwise? Remember what happened when they brought up both Bigras and Zadorov at the same time last year? The ****ing team played the best 5 game stretch I've seen in years.

I've always noted that they actually get a boost when they call up someone. I'd bet it's actually statistically significant in the win column as well.

I guess it's not that folks disagree with that, it's more that I think it matters.

Was Spencer saying a little prayer to the goalie gods there?

He's very, very religious. He has a whole routine too.

Meloche isn't as much of a big hit physical guy, but he just wears dudes down and is nasty to. That trio should help make playing us a pain on opposing forwards.

Maybe not open ice but he's thrown the hip check too. He the nastiest on the boards, in the corner and in front of the net. He gets away with about as much as he can there.

He has looked out of sorts lately.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I guess it's not that folks disagree with that, it's more that I think it matters.

He's very, very religious. He has a whole routine too.

Maybe not open ice but he's thrown the hip check too. He the nastiest on the boards, in the corner and in front of the net. He gets away with about as much as he can there.

He has looked out of sorts lately.

I view Meloche as two years out still, so I don't expect to see him much next year until maybe the end of the year or so if there is injuries. That report about Mironov makes me think hes their solution to the bottom pairing RD spot for next season with Bigras on the left.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I view Meloche as two years out still, so I don't expect to see him much next year until maybe the end of the year or so if there is injuries. That report about Mironov makes me think hes their solution to the bottom pairing RD spot for next season with Bigras on the left.

I'm sure they'd like that if it worked out that way, hope so.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I'm sure they'd like that if it worked out that way, hope so.

For us it's speculation, but for them it's possible they know if he'll actually come over next year. It could even be a "make it out of camp, or go back to the KHL thing" without any issue.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Only got to catch the 3rd period due to my own hockey game but it seemed really, really physical. Thought the Avs were going to pull out a win but alas, lose another. My opinion is skewed due to only watching the 3rd + OT but I thought Zadorov was very good. Liked what I saw from MacK, Rantanen, Grigorenko, and Nieto.

Hilarious to see Iginla on the 4th line once again. Equally hilarious to see Gologoof play 25+ minutes while Gelinas can't even crack double digits. I bet he just rips the organization privately to anyone he talks to, and for good reason. He's nothing special but the way he's been treated hasn't been good whatsoever.

The Avs haven't won in regulation in the last 17 games. Would be nice to get one of those one of these days.

viach

Aug 5, 2007
on Beauch's goal, very surprise Grigorenko and Mack don't get another point :(

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
Avs aren't leaking any rumours, everyone is getting their information from other teams that Avs have talk to.

I mean how do other teams do it then? I don't recall lots of rumors about Seguin or about Hall when that went down or Adam Larson on the other side. Subban rumors were tossed aside as hearsay. When Philly traded both Richards and Carter nobody saw that coming.

I dunno there probably are rumors more often that I don't remember because it wasn't the Avs, but I certainly don't recall the last time a high profile player was traded where you saw it coming. Other than a few obvious ones like RoR, which shattenkirk would be like if he is traded. Well there was the RyJo trade but he basically asked for that and it seemed pretty clear it could happen with everything going on with the coach and the benching and everything.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I mean how do other teams do it then? I don't recall lots of rumors about Seguin or about Hall when that went down or Adam Larson on the other side. Subban rumors were tossed aside as hearsay. When Philly traded both Richards and Carter nobody saw that coming.

I dunno there probably are rumors more often that I don't remember because it wasn't the Avs, but I certainly don't recall the last time a high profile player was traded where you saw it coming. Other than a few obvious ones like RoR, which shattenkirk would be like if he is traded. Well there was the RyJo trade but he basically asked for that and it seemed pretty clear it could happen with everything going on with the coach and the benching and everything.

You could sense a Taylor Hall trade was coming for an entire year.

I don't recall the rumours about Seguin around the time he was traded, but for quite a while there he wasn't looked at favourably. There were rumblings for a few years about that. The trade was shocking because it felt like it came from nothing, but when you thought about it for a couple minutes it wasn't surprising whatsoever that Seguin is who they moved.

The Avs still operate like the mafia. Insiders will openly admit to not having sources in Colorado, and that they hear things about the Avs from other teams. I don't know why that is, probably a holdover from the Pierre Lacroix days. I personally don't mind, the less rumours about a team, the better. But in this day and age where social media is so prevalent and people are racing to be first instead of right/accurate, it's surprising to see how little anyone knows about the Avs organization as a whole. We STILL have to rely on Adrian Dater. No offence to Dater, I think he does fine, but he works for Bleacher Report, doesn't really cover the Avs as a beat reporter anymore, yet he is the guy with the most sources in Colorado and it's clear as day that nobody else is close.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad