GDT: Game 42: Raffi Torres Appreciation Night | 4-15-13 | 7:00 PM PDT

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
At this point, losing out probably moves you into the 8th or 9th spot, at most. Not a whole lot to be excited about there.

Eh, it's easier to trade up if need be from within the Top 10 than outside of it, esp. with this draft class. GMDM is the Wil E. Coyote of GMs, after all (assuming he and Tippett return next year, of course)

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
Good news is only 2 games left this season so a very impressive attendance figure. I dont hear people wanting to renew again under these issues but it shows something.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Eh, it's easier to trade up if need be from within the Top 10 than outside of it, esp. with this draft class. GMDM is the Wil E. Coyote of GMs, after all (assuming he and Tippett return next year, of course)

Trading up is for teams that have assets to burn doing so. The Coyotes need to hoard as much value as possible.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Trading up is for teams that have assets to burn doing so. The Coyotes need to hoard as much value as possible.

So we don't have assets on our blueline that we can't burn to fit our needs up front? I'm not saying that we make a desperation trade - the value has to be great, of course. But if there's a deal to be made that lands us a franchise center like Lindholm or Monahan, two guys that will likely be drafted outside of the Top 5, (and it shouldn't cost us that much to move up a couple spots), gotta pull the trigger.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
So we don't have assets on our blueline that we can't burn to fit our needs up front? I'm not saying that we make a desperation trade - the value has to be great, of course. But if there's a deal to be made that lands us a franchise center like Lindholm or Monahan, two guys that will likely be drafted outside of the Top 5, (and it shouldn't cost us that much to move up a couple spots), gotta pull the trigger.

The problem is that pick value drops off the proverbial cliff starting around 8. So it costs exponentially more to trade up into where the value is. It'd cost a pretty penny in assets, and I'm not sold on Lindholm/Monahan being surefire franchise players. That's a trade you make when you are a flush team that can just plug whatever hole you opened up in UFA. It's the good ol n+1 situation.

If anything, I'd be looking to move Yandle for another top 10 pick, an ELC player and a prospect. Would you trade Yandle for Monahan, Couturier and Read? Using the rumor floated at the deadline as a example.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
The problem is that pick value drops off the proverbial cliff starting around 8. So it costs exponentially more to trade up into where the value is. It'd cost a pretty penny in assets, and I'm not sold on Lindholm/Monahan being surefire franchise players. That's a trade you make when you are a flush team that can just plug whatever hole you opened up in UFA. It's the good ol n+1 situation.

If anything, I'd be looking to move Yandle for another top 10 pick, an ELC player and a prospect. Would you trade Yandle for Monahan, Couturier and Read? Using the rumor floated at the deadline as a example.

Yes I would do that in a heartbeat. Edit: we might have to add slightly though. Perhaps Florida's 3rd? Which will probably be the 1st. pick of the 3rd. round.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ

Without blinking, yes. And Lindholm at the very least is the real deal, guy just screams Patrice Bergeron with his play.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Without blinking, yes. And Lindholm at the very least is the real deal, guy just screams Patrice Bergeron with his play.

The problem here is that, in two years time, Couturier could still be struggling to crack 40 points and Read walks as an UFA. All you are left with is Monahan. If he is average or below, you lose that trade handily, because Yandle is most likely an All-Star in Philly.

This is why Maloney is hesitant to trade a high caliber player for unknowns. It can really, really hurt you. It's slightly disconcerting that he wants to do a 1 for 1. That really doesn't improve the team much in my opinion. Yandle creates about as much offense from the back end as anyone he could fetch on the trade market.

Really, it's about getting someone to overpay. I'd look to Edmonton for that.

zz

Nov 1, 2006
The shocking truth: this team just isn't very good at all.

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
Even if they did make the playoffs could you imagine how dominated they would have gotten with this front line against the top seeds. I was worried that the ultimate trolling from haters would have started.

zz

Nov 1, 2006
Indeed. We'd have no business being in the playoffs. Guaranteed sweep.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I looked over at my TV and OEL was doing a hand stand. The **** was that?

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
The problem here is that, in two years time, Couturier could still be struggling to crack 40 points and Read walks as an UFA. All you are left with is Monahan. If he is average or below, you lose that trade handily, because Yandle is most likely an All-Star in Philly.

This is why Maloney is hesitant to trade a high caliber player for unknowns. It can really, really hurt you. It's slightly disconcerting that he wants to do a 1 for 1. That really doesn't improve the team much in my opinion. Yandle creates about as much offense from the back end as anyone he could fetch on the trade market.

Really, it's about getting someone to overpay. I'd look to Edmonton for that.

IMO, getting three potential Top 6 forwards for Yandle qualifies as an overpayment. And with Yandle's salary coming off the books, it shouldn't be that difficult to resign Read. It's still a gamble yes, but that deal is one of the better offers we've been privy to (though who knows if it was actually on the table).

That being said, I don't think we need to move Yandle if we wanted to move up a couple spots in the draft. Rundblad or Gormley probably could do the trick.

BigGumby

Apr 20, 2012
Moon Valley
I think this season goes to show 1 of 2 things:

Either last year was a fluke, or

This compressed season didn't work for us.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Barbs is such a clown. I can't wait until he walks. Throwing your hands up when it's 4 to zero. Like it's someones fault you dropped the puck right to Couture.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad