GDT: Game 42: Hawks @ Avs - 9PM EST (NBCSN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I actually caught a few minutes of the second last night for the first time in a while. Was surprised because it looked like we were the better team on the ice.

Checked the score when I got home and saw the 4-6 final and wasn't the least bit surprised.

For those of you still watching this every night... I applaud your dedication.

Ride or die. Alot of dieing lately doe

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
It's baffling to me how this happens every game, and every game the same idiots are out there on the ice. The message that coaching/management is sending to the players and the fans is that they are completely OK with stagnation. There is no desire whatsoever to improve - if there was, they'd change something. That's what blows my mind the most.

Does anyone have a gif or clip of this Gelinas/Tyutin exchange, I'd actually love to see it

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Such a shame that Gelinas was never used properly here. He's never been a good 5 on 5 player. This season he has the lowest OZONE Start% of his career and he's still finding a way to be on the ice for more shots for than against. This is while his most common partner being Francois Beauchemin and his most common forward linemates being Soderberg, Iginla, Comeau and Mitchell (in that order). Again he's doing this while being known as a poor 5 on 5 player. He makes mistakes with the puck and roams all over the place but again, this isn't where he's known for being good. He's known for being a powerplay monster and he simply doesn't get that opportunity.

Gelinas has 30 career powerplay points (Dated from 2013) and only has 24 5 on 5 points in that same time frame. To put that in perspective he would be behind only Barrie and EJ as far as defenseman go in that time frame in powerplay points (EJ has one more point in 200 more PP minutes). When looking at points per 60 in that time frame Gelinas blows every current Avalanche player (forward or D) away as the most productive pp player.

If people continue to search for some solid two way player in all situations out of Gelinas simply because he's big and moves well for his size, you aren't going to get it. He wasn't even this in the Q. IF you want a productive player who other teams fear on the PP you might get it, but only if he gets put in those situations.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Such a shame that Gelinas was never used properly here. He's never been a good 5 on 5 player. This season he has the lowest OZONE Start% of his career and he's still finding a way to be on the ice for more shots for than against. This is while his most common partner being Francois Beauchemin and his most common forward linemates being Soderberg, Iginla, Comeau and Mitchell (in that order). Again he's doing this while being known as a poor 5 on 5 player. He makes mistakes with the puck and roams all over the place but again, this isn't where he's known for being good. He's known for being a powerplay monster and he simply doesn't get that opportunity.

Gelinas has 30 career powerplay points (Dated from 2013) and only has 24 5 on 5 points in that same time frame. To put that in perspective he would be behind only Barrie and EJ as far as defenseman go in that time frame in powerplay points (EJ has one more point in 200 more PP minutes). When looking at points per 60 in that time frame Gelinas blows every current Avalanche player (forward or D) away as the most productive pp player.

If people continue to search for some solid two way player in all situations out of Gelinas simply because he's big and moves well for his size, you aren't going to get it. He wasn't even this in the Q. IF you want a productive player who other teams fear on the PP you might get it, but only if he gets put in those situations.

Completely agree here. Why even acquire him if you are not going to use what he is best at? It is failure from the start.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
[Tweet]821562243414368257[/MEDIA]

Is this the play everyone is talking about?

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
It's baffling to me how this happens every game, and every game the same idiots are out there on the ice. The message that coaching/management is sending to the players and the fans is that they are completely OK with stagnation. There is no desire whatsoever to improve - if there was, they'd change something. That's what blows my mind the most.

Does anyone have a gif or clip of this Gelinas/Tyutin exchange, I'd actually love to see it

The better question would be, why is Sakic keep getting idiots on this team? Does he not have eyes and brain? He doesn't see what regular people (fans) see, that Tyutin is done, Gelinas is another Holden, Guenin, Redmond who you get rid of not long ago. Why keep getting this kind of players, that's what i really wanna know.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
The better question would be, why is Sakic keep getting idiots on this team? Does he not have eyes and brain? He doesn't see what regular people (fans) see, that Tyutin is done, Gelinas is another Holden, Guenin, Redmond who you get rid of not long ago. Why keep getting this kind of players, that's what i really wanna know.

It's a valid question, but even if we accept our fate, we signed these players, they're here now - don't continue to play them. Make ice time on an NHL team a thing you actually have to earn - if they're playing like AHL players, send them to the AHL and give someone younger a shot.

This is the play everyone was talking about.

I know, I'd still like to see it and laugh

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
Take 9,4,29,92 and 96 out of the lineup and this team would probably be a middling AHL team. Those are the only guys that provide anything to the team. Zadorov has his moments but he still makes blunders galore. Chicago's bottom 6 just dummied our bottom 6. It wasn't even fair. And many of those guys (Kero, Hinostroza, Schmaltz, Rasmussen) are only in the NHL because of Chicago's cap crunch. Organizationally they are just on a different level when it comes to drafting and developing their own talent compared to the Avs.

Mitchell, Colborne, Soderberg, Beuchamin, Gelinas, Grigorenko and Iginla. That's almost half the lineup. To that mess add Varlamov. How can we beat anyone with the sheer volume of dead weight?

IceRat

#BallsOutTheDoor
Mar 4, 2011
Take 9,4,29,92 and 96 out of the lineup and this team would probably be a middling AHL team. Those are the only guys that provide anything to the team. Zadorov has his moments but he still makes blunders galore. Chicago's bottom 6 just dummied our bottom 6. It wasn't even fair. And many of those guys (Kero, Hinostroza, Schmaltz, Rasmussen) are only in the NHL because of Chicago's cap crunch. Organizationally they are just on a different level when it comes to drafting and developing their own talent compared to the Avs.

Mitchell, Colborne, Soderberg, Beuchamin, Gelinas, Grigorenko and Iginla. That's almost half the lineup. To that mess add Varlamov. How can we beat anyone with the sheer volume of dead weight?

you can't
that's why you don't make stupid moves like trading your top goal scorer and #2 faceoff win % leader in the league (sounding like a broken record here)

you let this disaster of a season play its course and you dump the dead weight and dead weight/expired contracts this off season and build properly around those worthwhile players

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
you can't
that's why you don't make stupid moves like trading your top goal scorer and #2 faceoff win % leader in the league (sounding like a broken record here)

you let this disaster of a season play its course and you dump the dead weight and dead weight/expired contracts this off season and build properly around those worthwhile players

The problem is they need much more help than that. They don't have enough assets or pieces to build with. It's a never ending cycle. They need to sign guys to fill holes because they can't do it internally and they can't increase their talent base with the few pieces they have while they get older and closer to free agency and eventually lose those guys. It's a bucket with a hole in it that they keep trying to fill and wait until next year. It's not working.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

These are the players you get when you don't want to give out term to free agents and can't develop your own internally. These types of players also will look better on better teams, hence Holden.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Couldn't find our injury thread and didn't wanna make a new one. Got an update from the nhl app saying Varly is out until after the all star break with yet another groin injury

IceRat

#BallsOutTheDoor
Mar 4, 2011
The problem is they need much more help than that. They don't have enough assets or pieces to build with. It's a never ending cycle. They need to sign guys to fill holes because they can't do it internally and they can't increase their talent base with the few pieces they have while they get older and closer to free agency and eventually lose those guys. It's a bucket with a hole in it that they keep trying to fill and wait until next year. It's not working.

our good assets are on good contracts

we have a ton of cash coming off the books after this season, this was the season to start playing the youth and get them NHL tested

sorry but you aren't going to convince me that trading Duchene is a good idea (if that is what you are trying to do) .... that is not an easily replaced player from a statistical perspective and just as importantly as someone who puts ***** in the seats

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Couldn't find our injury thread and didn't wanna make a new one. Got an update from the nhl app saying Varly is out until after the all star break with yet another groin injury

I for one am numb with anticipation of Jeremy Smith's first NHL game.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
These are the players you get when you don't want to give out term to free agents and can't develop your own internally. These types of players also will look better on better teams, hence Holden.

Yeah but my point is, if you gonna get a player like Gelinas who is a same type of d-man as Holden, or actually worse than Holden, but same as Guenin, Redmond, why not just keep one of those instead of getting rid of garbage and getting garbage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad