GDT: Game 4: Penguins (2-2-0) @ Blues (1-1-1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
He played like man possessed tonight against old team and coach. That isn’t who he usually is. Not with any consistency.
Wish he played with this kind of energy every game. Tonight we saw his potential. If he only had the drive to push himself like that every game.

Reactions: Blueston

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
That's not caved it at all. They plan to let the other team shoot as long as it's from the outside and they avoid high danger chances. Shit you didn't even state how many of those were blocked. Talk about trying to drum up a narrative.

Ya, we're a hick town because of a classic song. f***ing what ever man lol.
One thing i love about hockey is they play a ton of hard rock and metal. I HATE that the blues go to sing a long song is Country Roads. If you wanna play a song from a few generations back, give me some Bon Jovi or GNR or something that claps. Country Roads aint it mang. Hell i'd rather belt out Twisted Sister "i wanna rock" then get caught dead singing Country Roads.

Last edited:

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
One thing i love about hockey is they play a ton of hard rock and metal. I HATE that the blues go to sing a long song is Country Roads! If you wanna go a little older, give me some Bon Jovi or GNR or something that claps. Country Roads aint it mang. Hell i'd rather belt out Twisted Sister "i wanna rock" then get caught dead singing Country Roads.
I still remember getting hyped at games with my dad when they'd play "Unchained" by Van Halen. I miss arena rock.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
One thing i love about hockey is they play a ton of hard rock and metal. I HATE that the blues go to sing a long song is Country Roads. If you wanna play a song from a few generations back, give me some Bon Jovi or GNR or something that claps. Country Roads aint it mang. Hell i'd rather belt out Twisted Sister "i wanna rock" then get caught dead singing Country Roads.

I could see Paradise city taking the place of country roads.

Kyrou has been making some real good defensive plays this season

Kyrou dare I say it is looking like he could be a real force to deal with out there.

Reactions: GoldenSeal

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I could see Paradise city taking the place of country roads.

Kyrou dare I say it is looking like he could be a real force to deal with out there.
If Kyrou can figure out how to play like he has the first 4 games a full 82 game season and put up 80 points or more his contract is gonna be completely worth it.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
I swear they do well when I don’t watch lol
You're banned from watching again.

giphy.webp

Linkens Mastery

Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
The craziest part was seeing Kyrou on the ice to end the game, last year that would have been complete insanity

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
The craziest part was seeing Kyrou on the ice to end the game, last year that would have been complete insanity
Well Krug was out there too, so it feels like it doesn’t mean much. Feels like they were just trying to increase the chances of an empty netter. If it was only a one goal lead I am not sure we would have seen that.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Figured Kapanen would have a good showing against the team that dumped him. If he could play like this all the time he'd be a very useful player. Too bad he doesn't seem to be able to.

Surprised to see that Krug played over 25 mins.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
This is shot attempts, not shots on goal. This counts shots that are blocked and miss the net.

For the record, shots blocked should be considered a good thing, not bad. You hope your d-men block shots. So we should probably take "shots attempted" with a grain of salt just like most other stats. Allowing attempted shots isn't necessarily reason for concern if they are low percentage shots or they are blocked before they get to the net. But I guess people gotta complain about something, even after a solid win.

At least you can't complain about Binnington anymore at least like you did pretty much all of last season.

Reactions: BlueDream

sbet1998

Feb 12, 2012
My only take from this one game is that the Blues looked a lot like their '21-'22 counterparts. Great on the rush. Great transition game. Crisp passing leading to some grade A chances in the slot to take over the game at crucial times.. sitting back and getting hemmed into their own zone once they have a lead later in the game..

Couldnt hit an empty net to save their lives.

Its an anecdote but I'll take it.

LogosBlue

May 16, 2018
Yet again in the minority, I guess.

I love Country Roads. I love John Denver (and not just because he looks like my dad, lol). And i love "almost heaven" West Virginia.

It needs to be played in the third.

They play plenty of "rock/metal" the rest of the time during the game.

Nice win by Binner and the boys. 5 points thus far this season and all because of Binner. Contract doesn't look so bad to me.

Linkens Mastery

Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Parayko is starting to look like pre-injury Parayko. Using his stick, his speed, and his defensive IQ to shut down people again.

Faulk is getting back into his habit of stepping up at the Blueline on defense as well while using his body.

Last edited:

finnishflash13

Oct 28, 2020
i was at the game so i wasn't being a keyboard warrior but wow the comments at the end of the first period are hilarious... turning on soccer, closest the blues will be to a playoff spot all year? it was their 4th game...and how did the end turn out?

That's not caved it at all. They plan to let the other team shoot as long as it's from the outside and they avoid high danger chances. Shit you didn't even state how many of those were blocked. Talk about trying to drum up a narrative.

Ya, we're a hick town because of a classic song. f***ing what ever man lol.
This. Lots of complaints about shot totals but this ignores how many of them are coming from the outside and easily handled by Binnington. Forcing the other team to shoot from the outside and low-danger areas is the purpose of the new defensive scheme.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
i was at the game so i wasn't being a keyboard warrior but wow the comments at the end of the first period are hilarious... turning on soccer, closest the blues will be to a playoff spot all year? it was their 4th game...and how did the end turn out?

This. Lots of complaints about shot totals but this ignores how many of them are coming from the outside and easily handled by Binnington. Forcing the other team to shoot from the outside and low-danger areas is the purpose of the new defensive scheme.

As long as Binny keeps up his .960 sv%, We’ll be fine

Reactions: GoldenSeal

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes

There are still a lot of shots against coming from in tight, much more than we got. We've been outshot from the house in every game. Also concerning is that the majority of possessions that ended for the penguins and led to rush chances were the result of flubbed pucks and blind passes, not from reads. Those will happen over the season, but not typically at the volume they fell for us last night.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
For the record, shots blocked should be considered a good thing, not bad. You hope your d-men block shots. So we should probably take "shots attempted" with a grain of salt just like most other stats. Allowing attempted shots isn't necessarily reason for concern if they are low percentage shots or they are blocked before they get to the net. But I guess people gotta complain about something, even after a solid win.

At least you can't complain about Binnington anymore at least like you did pretty much all of last season.
For the record, you’re dead wrong as per usual. :laugh: Shots blocked mean that you allowed the opponent the get the puck in the offensive zone and get it into a good enough spot with enough time and space to shoot it. Now blocking it is better than letting it get through to your goalie, but it doesn’t change the fact that the opponent has quality control of the puck in your offensive zone in order to generate a shot attempt and thus a blocked shot. Unblocked attempts were 12-2 with that pairing for the night for what it’s worth. There is no way to twist that into a good thing. The opponent had the puck in our zone for the vast majority of time when the pairing was on the ice. That’s a bad thing if you’re trying to win a hockey game.

Binnington’s been great. No reason to complain. I’m sure he’ll revert back to below league average status given a bigger sample size, but maybe he has actually improved. That’d be great. It was also be great if he wasn’t under constant barrage when our bottom pair was on the ice.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Binnington’s been great. No reason to complain. I’m sure he’ll revert back to below league average status given a bigger sample size, but maybe he has actually improved. That’d be great. It was also be great if he wasn’t under constant barrage when our bottom pair was on the ice.

Binnington doesn't need to improve and you need to stop acting like something was bad about him. He gets ran into the ground every year by Berube and every year he's spectacular when he's fresh. It's the coaches job to make sure his players are in the best condition to perform and guess what he's not doing with Binnington.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad