GDT: Game 4 | Anaheim Ducks at Calgary Flames | 7:30pm MT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Personally I'd like to upgrade on Hudler. Get a #1 RW that has some size and can play a bigger game. I think having 2 smaller wingers in Gaudreau and Hudler on the same line makes that line easier to handle, especially in the playoffs.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
Personally I'd like to upgrade on Hudler. Get a #1 RW that has some size and can play a bigger game. I think having 2 smaller wingers in Gaudreau and Hudler on the same line makes that line easier to handle, especially in the playoffs.

he was 8th in scoring this year and he's a great leader

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
he was 8th in scoring this year and he's a great leader
Yes, I realize this. But it doesn't change the fact that our top line has been pushed around pretty badly in the playoffs. Ideally Hudler would stay on and be the 2nd line RW.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Colby has been awesome this series. Who knows why he was so reckless on that play, but he's been playing on edge all series and for people who regularly watch hockey, will know that **** happens periodically with players that play like that.

Ramo could have made that first save.
Gaudreau shouldn't have made that error.
Colborne shouldn't have taken that penalty.
Monahan should have scored on that post.

This game was full of what ifs, can't pin it solely on one guy. I love the way Colby has been playing, that was a really ****** play but our team has ZERO playoff experience so they're figuring it out.

I'm out guys, night.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
Yes, I realize this. But it doesn't change the fact that our top line has been pushed around pretty badly in the playoffs. Ideally Hudler would stay on and be the 2nd line RW.

true, but they were the best line for the last two months of the regular season and we do need another scoring option but I don't want to break that line up anytime soon.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
So, with the kind of clarity that can only be gained by watching the game under the influence, then playing a round of glow-in-the-dark minigolf, I shall now provide my thoughts:

I actually thoroughly enjoyed the way we played this game. Even though it was an absolutely killer loss in terms of our playoff hopes, I thought we played the kind of game we needed to play. For every chance we gave up, we got one ourselves to make up for it. For large stretches of time we were the better, more dangerous team. And this time, we didn't need powerplays to generate that momentum and offence. I think our team probably gained a little respect tonight.

But those goals we gave up were absolutely killer, man.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
The Ducks had the momentum for most of the second culminating in the tying goal. But Colborne's penalty was the nail in the coffin; good on him for (finally) realizing he's big and being physical these playoffs but the Flames simply aren't going to intimidate the Ducks that way. It was a dumb penalty plain and simple.

As for the first line, Hudler's very obviously not a 100% (and full blame to Hartley for keeping him on there for the majority of their shifts). Gaudreau and Monahan are still very much inexperienced (along with all the other players who're playing in their first playoffs this year). Don't Hudler will be the firstline RW longterm but it's a reasonably safe bet Monahan and Gaudreau will continue to improve. Ditto for Backlund, Brodie (already the team's best defensemen with Giordano out), Ferland, Granlund, etc.

Monahan though, there's too much of Eric Staal or Anze Kopitar in his game. The Flames really ought to look into trying to get him to play more like Getzlaf, as in, developing a physical edge and/or a mean streak.

The Jesus*

One of your rookies made a rookie mistake. In junior that's the right play, you keep possession because of your skill and you walk it out. In the NHL, coaches will tell you to just chip it out if you're ever in doubt.

With how young your team is, you had to expect this to happen. It's a learning process for these kids. But damned if you guys didn't impress the hell out of everyone this year.

You guys will be back and better next year. Within a couple years, I wouldn't be shocked if you were legit cup contenders. It happens. Give the kids some time, and just enjoy how bright your future is. Plus, the series ain't over yet.

Also, screw Calgary. Hillbillies. ;)

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
One of your rookies made a rookie mistake. In junior that's the right play, you keep possession because of your skill and you walk it out. In the NHL, coaches will tell you to just chip it out if you're ever in doubt.

With how young your team is, you had to expect this to happen. It's a learning process for these kids. But damned if you guys didn't impress the hell out of everyone this year.

You guys will be back and better next year. Within a couple years, I wouldn't be shocked if you were legit cup contenders. It happens. Give the kids some time, and just enjoy how bright your future is. Plus, the series ain't over yet.

Also, screw Calgary. Hillbillies. ;)

cheers man :cheers:

let's just both hate the Oilers ;)

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
The Ducks had the momentum for most of the second culminating in the tying goal. But Colborne's penalty was the nail in the coffin; good on him for (finally) realizing he's big and being physical these playoffs but the Flames simply aren't going to intimidate the Ducks that way. It was a dumb penalty plain and simple.

As for the first line, Hudler's very obviously not a 100% (and full blame to Hartley for keeping him on there for the majority of their shifts). Gaudreau and Monahan are still very much inexperienced (along with all the other players who're playing in their first playoffs this year). Don't Hudler will be the firstline RW longterm but it's a reasonably safe bet Monahan and Gaudreau will continue to improve. Ditto for Backlund, Brodie (already the team's best defensemen with Giordano out), Ferland, Granlund, etc.

Monahan though, there's too much of Eric Staal or Anze Kopitar in his game. The Flames really ought to look into trying to get him to play more like Getzlaf, as in, developing a physical edge and/or a mean streak.

Really good post Calculon. Watching Colby after the game he looked like he was ready to cry, I feel awful for him. I really think it was a mental lapse, he went in to make a hard hit and he was just careless. I love how he was playing, but yeah that was a tough one to swallow.

I think Monahan will get more nasty. He's still so young, but playing against the Ducks will be so huge for him. I mean Getzlaf is a just a beast out there. He's destroying our guys left and right and blasting slappers from every angle. Money has similarities in his game, he's just not as physically dominant but few kids his age are. I totally agree, I think we will see some progression in this area of his game as he matures.

And as fantastic as Hudler was in the regular season, the Ploffs are different. I'm fully aware he's hurt, but having him and Johnny on the same line is a tough matchup against a team like the Ducks. I think Hudler could more be effective playing with more size in the playoffs, we just may need to spread it out. Good on him for playing, he's had a rough post season but I give him credit.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Man, just watching the post gamer with Colby and he looks crushed :( You can't blame him at all. The boys came to play a physical game, which he did, and he just got caught with some bad luck. Like 1TG said, there's no way you can put the loss entirely on him. There's a reason why the Ducks are a good team and it showed last night.

Quite honestly I hope they don't change much for game 5. If they're going to lose, I hope they're going kicking, screaming, and hitting instead of trying to be too careful.

thunderchief1994

Mar 13, 2011
Ranger guy stopping by for a word of encouragement.

My team down 3-1 in games and yeah, I was ready to write em off last night. Huge comeback and now we head to DC and with a bit of luck, a whole lot of luck, we come back home for game 7.

Keep the faith, it's hard but not impossible. I'll send you good karma and good luck.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Ranger guy stopping by for a word of encouragement.

My team down 3-1 in games and yeah, I was ready to write em off last night. Huge comeback and now we head to DC and with a bit of luck, a whole lot of luck, we come back home for game 7.

Keep the faith, it's hard but not impossible. I'll send you good karma and good luck.

Thanks buddy!

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
Asking Monahan to "develop a mean streak" sounds like a disaster. There's nothing wrong with playing like Staal or Kopitar, two players who have carried teams and lead them to Cups.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Last night stings so much because we handed them a win. We made such stupid mistakes and they capitalized.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Asking Monahan to "develop a mean streak" sounds like a disaster. There's nothing wrong with playing like Staal or Kopitar, two players who have carried teams and lead them to Cups.
Monahan can play with a mean streak though, that mean streak may have been what cost him a shot at the WJC (and hurt his draft position) in his draft year since he was just coming off a long suspension when camp opened.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Monahan can play with a mean streak though, that mean streak may have been what cost him a shot at the WJC (and hurt his draft position) in his draft year since he was just coming off a long suspension when camp opened.

What hurt his draft position was the abysmal team he played on. He carried the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad